Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Countries that you've visited

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Another odd little episode from that area c. 1987.....

I was on a train heading north from Greece into Yugoslavia (what is now North Macedonia). A short while after crossing the border, two blokes came into our compartment clearly knowing exactly what they were looking for.

They stood on the seats, removed a couple of panels from the ceiling and extracted several filled sacks from the ceiling cavity. One bloke saw us looking at them, put his finger to his lips and just said "Coffee!" - and they went on their way.

I've always wondered if it really was contraband coffee beans or something else. As the FT Balkans expert, do you have any idea? :dunno:

Maybe a little business between Greek and Yugoslav train crew to get Greek coffee into Yugoslavia without paying any duty? Neither were communist but I guess there was still a customs border between them (Greece would've been EEC I guess).

I used to travel overland quite a bit from Bulgaria to Western Europe and we'd always have to go through Serbia which is non EU. Bulgarian bus drivers would stop as soon as they entered Serbia, buy absolutely shit loads of packets of cheap Serbian cigarettes, and then hand out six packs to each passenger as a 'present'. When we crossed back into the EU at Hungary or Croatia they'd take them all back again. I don't know the exact customs rules but could guess why they were doing it. This was always amusing but none more so when the drivers asked me one time to translate into English what they were doing to a very naive, hippy family from Australia who were travelling round Europe for the first time ever. Poor ****ers looked absolutely terrified and probably thought they were going to end up like Australian teenage drug smugglers in Bali or something. 

Edited by bovril
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

In no particular order;

England (every city and county too!):thumbup:

Scotland :thumbup:

Wales :thumbup:

N.Ireland

Ireland

Turkey 

Ukraine

Austria

Hungary

Netherlands :thumbup:

Belgium :thumbup:

Spain :thumbup:

France :thumbup:

Germany :thumbup:

Serbia

Estonia 

Finland 

Denmark :thumbup:

New Zealand 

Australia :thumbup:

Cyprus

Albania

Latvia

Lithuania

Thailand 

Portugal

USA

Greece

Slovenia

Slovakia :thumbup:

Italy

Russia :thumbup:

Romania :thumbup:

Switzerland

Malta 

Bulgaria

Sweden 

Poland :thumbup:

Norway 

Croatia 

Czech Republic 

Thumbs up is countries I've seen a footy match there too.

That is a brilliant effort. And definitely a title for a new thread and inspiration for me 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Nalis said:

At a guess I'm probably on about 30, I'm not going somewhere just to tick a box though, life isnt an ISO audit.

Ha. Sweden and Monaco were just places to spend a couple of hours in order to tick them off for me. But, in my defence, I love travelling by rail and each meant an interesting journey (over the Øresund Bridge and along the French Riviera respectively). Sometimes journeys like that can be part of the fun of a really good holiday too.

Bosnia's one I'm desperate to go to as I really fancied it when visiting Dubrovnik, where you're really close to the border. Missus is keen on going back to that part of the world again so hopefully some time in Mostar's on the cards if/when we do.

I have to travel a reasonable amount with work…. A heady mix of Düsseldorf (where I type) and Florida this week….  Land at 0645 next Saturday at LHR and straight to the Wolves game !

A good proportion of that list has been under my own steam…

And, no, I don’t work in sales!

I quite enjoyed compiling my list….  Brought back some nice memories!

England

Scotland

Wales

Ireland north and south 

Germany

Austria

France

Monaco 

Netherlands

Belgium

Luxembourg 

Hungary

Italy

Greece

Cyprus

Spain

Portugal

Croatia

Slovenia

Czech Republic

communist Russia 

Ukraine

Switzerland

Poland

Sweden

Norway

Denmark

Morocco

Tunisia

Egypt

Thailand

Japan

Australia

New Zealand

Brazil

Cuba

USA

Oman

Singapore

UAE

Suadii

Edited by Wolfox

3 hours ago, Milo said:

I was sat in a bar there with a couple of mates enjoying a balmy evening beer - heard gunshots nearby...nigh on soiled myself and flapped big time, hardly any of the locals had batted an eyelid! 

Ha.

I did get a bit blasé about death, shootings and kidnappings tbh. I have tales, the volume of which is probably a good marker of how interesting Locombia is. 😁

I've visited 57 countries, a lot of them for work, so often not that exciting!

England 

Scotland

Wales

France

Andorra

Luxemburg

Spain

Norway

Finland

Sweden

Germany

Netherlands

Belgium

Switzerland

Austria

Serbia

Kosovo

Croatia

Turkey

Ukraine

Tajikistan

USA

Canada

Mexico

Cayman Islands

The Bahamas

Jamaica

Haiti

Pakistan

India

Bangladesh

China (Hong Kong)

Singapore

Cambodia

South Sudan

Kenya

Uganda

DR Congo

Tanzania

Mozambique

Zimbabwe

South Africa

Zambia

Lesotho

Namibia

Botswana

Liberia

Nigeria

Ghana

Senegal

Rwanda

Burundi

Kenya

Dubai

Mauritius

Seychelles

United Arab Emirates

Edited by Merging Cultures
  • Like 1

24 at the moment. Enough for the Championship :P

United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Gibraltar)

Spain (including Canary Islands)

Portugal (including Madeira)

France

Germany

Belgium

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Austria

Hungary

Slovakia

Switzerland

Egypt

Kenya

South Africa

United Arab Emirates

India

Malaysia

Singapore

Thailand

Vietnam

USA

Canada

Mexico

Funnily never been to Ireland (NI or ROI). Still the Scandinavian countries to do and glaringly Italy has also been missed.

South America would be great and also an absolute dream to do the Australia/New Zealand trip at some point.

Edited by TK95

I appear to be stuck on 33 at the moment.  More to come!

ENGLAND
WALES
SCOTLAND
AUSTRALIA
BELGIUM
CANADA
CHINA
FRANCE
GERMANY
IRELAND
ITALY
SPAIN
SWEDEN
VIET NAM
BAHRAIN
CAMBODIA
CZECH REPUBLIC
EGYPT
FINLAND
GREECE
HUNGARY
INDONESIA
LAOS
MALAYSIA
MAURITIUS
PORTUGAL
ROMANIA
SINGAPORE
THAILAND
TUNISIA
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
UNITED STATES

12 hours ago, Raj said:

Some of you ****ers must be loaded£££€€€$$$🤣🤣😁

Proper travel is very reasonable if you look hard enough. Book late, wait for cancellations, book all the steps yourself, barter hard with agents etc etc. Sometimes much cheaper than a week in the uk or these rip off all included jet2 packages 

• Like 2

Nowhere near as well travelled as some of you lot. Crikey.

UK 3/4 (Wal, Eng, Sco)

Spain

France

Belgium

Netherlands

Denmark

Germany

Czech Republic

Hungary

Croatia

Italy

Malta

Greece

China

Hong Kong

Japan

So 15 & the UK. Picking a favourite as per @Unabomber would be really difficult. I've loved specific cities like Prague or Brugge but they're probably not representative of the whole country, Brugge in particular would be amazing wherever it was, likewise Venice. 

So countries as a whole, I'd say probably Croatia (the coast at least) for the summer and Japan for the rest of the year. Big shout out to Hong Kong, I fvcking loved it but I'm not sure how readily I'd go back given how much the political landscape has changed since.

We've got into doing cruises over the last few years which has enabled us to tick off loads of countries, some would never have thought of visiting

France

Spain

USA

Greece

Germany

Netherlands

Croatia

Italy

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Brunei

Singapore

Vietnam

Czech Republic

Poland

Turkey

Tunisia

Egypt

Slovenia

Montenegro

Barbados

Puerto Rico

Caribbean Islands

Norway

Denmark

Jamaica

Cayman Islands

Cuba

Mexico

Belize

Honduras

Guatemala

Gibraltar

Belgium

Portugal

Malta

Ireland

21 hours ago, Daggers said:

Colombia.

Shades of green that just don't exist anywhere else in the world. Mountain tops to jungles to deserts to city centres, the entire nation beats with a vibrancy like no other. Food, football and festivals feed a national psyche; fuelled by rum, aguardiente and music. Tropical islands, Caribbean beaches, Amazonian forest. Everything together with "the most laws in the world", (most of which nobody pays the slightest bit of attention to or finds a way to circumvent).

I never wanted to leave and would live back there in a heartbeat if the wife said 'yes'.

That's a lovely description. My honeymoon was in Colombia and although brief I feel like we got a sense of almost all of the things you mention (including aguardiente!). We saw Bogota, Santa Marta (for the Lost City trek), Salento, Cartagena and a little bit of Medellin.

I'm somewhere between 40 and 50 (countries and age!). So many places still to see.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Daggers said:

Colombia.

Shades of green that just don't exist anywhere else in the world. Mountain tops to jungles to deserts to city centres, the entire nation beats with a vibrancy like no other. Food, football and festivals feed a national psyche; fuelled by rum, aguardiente and music. Tropical islands, Caribbean beaches, Amazonian forest. Everything together with "the most laws in the world", (most of which nobody pays the slightest bit of attention to or finds a way to circumvent).

I never wanted to leave and would live back there in a heartbeat if the wife said 'yes'.

This is quite possibly my favourite post of all time. 

44 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This is quite possibly my favourite post of all time. 

Mine is definitely the one where I did the picture of Filbert blocking the scene of Mandaric having sex with Delia Smith.

Both pretty similar I guess.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Mine is definitely the one where I did the picture of Filbert blocking the scene of Mandaric having sex with Delia Smith.

Both pretty similar I guess.

Nah, your rant involving a book and cream teas against some wannabe who called you out was the most memorable IMO. A triumph of poetic wording.

Wish I could find it.

• Haha 1

England

Scotland

Wales

France

Spain (mainland & Canary Islands)

Germany

Austria

Netherlands

Belgium

Italy

Vatican City

Tunisia

USA

UAE

Trinidad & Tobago

Of all the above, by an absolute mile, my favourite place in the world that I've been to so far is Tobago. Such a beautiful laid-back, and still relatively unspoilt little island. Would highly recommend it. For such a small island it has an incredibly diverse landscape and there's something for everyone there!

19 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Ha. Sweden and Monaco were just places to spend a couple of hours in order to tick them off for me. But, in my defence, I love travelling by rail and each meant an interesting journey (over the Øresund Bridge and along the French Riviera respectively). Sometimes journeys like that can be part of the fun of a really good holiday too.

Bosnia's one I'm desperate to go to as I really fancied it when visiting Dubrovnik, where you're really close to the border. Missus is keen on going back to that part of the world again so hopefully some time in Mostar's on the cards if/when we do.

You won't regret Bosnia. Worth a whole week's holiday at least in my opinion. Great food, friendliest people I've met in Europe, beautiful landscapes. And still one of the few countries in Europe where you can find places relatively untouched by the modern world. 

• Like 1

Comparatively few, and nothing that exciting, having read this topic.

France 

Monaco

Belgium

Italy

Vatican City

Greece

America

Spain

Hungary

Isle of Man (they consider themselves to be separate from the UK)

Scotland

Wales

Edited by Parafox