Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

Yeah, people have really warped views about the quality of wingers outside the "big 6" if they think Barnes is only worth £30mil.

Barnes is about as good a winger as you can get for a non-"big 6" side, players who have that kind of output are so rare.

Lookman went for 12 mil last summer. Barnes is better at finishing and getting into goals scoring positions but lookman is the better all round player. Barnes is one of those players who will always be better on paper than he actually is because people only rate attacking players by goals nowadays. 

• Haha 1

Christ, I liked Lookman, even though there was a lot of debate here as to whether he was good or not I thought he was pretty good for us, but it’s definitely a case of absence Makes the heart grow stronger if people are not saying he’s a “better all round player than Barnes”. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sampson said:

Christ, I liked Lookman, even though there was a lot of debate here as to whether he was good or not I thought he was pretty good for us, but it’s definitely a case of absence Makes the heart frown stronger if people are not saying he’s a “better all round player than Barnes”. 

Better at holding on to the ball, better workrate, better defensive positioning, better passing, better at taking on his man. 

When was the last time barnes had a good game without putting the ball in the back of the net? His all round game is lacking.

• Like 1

I wonder if we'll play hardball with clubs wanting to sign him. Let's face it we need to get back to the PL ASAP, the less star players we have to get rid of the better. He doesn't strike me as the sort of player that is going to strop and force a move. Might be a risk worth taking and selling him for 20/25m next summer if we don't go up/doesn't sign an extension instead of 50m this summer, unless we can confidently replace him. He should be guaranteed plenty of goals/assists at that level 

• Like 2

On 24/05/2023 at 23:20, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's not really a winger though is he? Wingers actually take people on. Barnes doesn't. He's averaging less than 1 successful take-on per game this season. Less than KDH and Tielemans, and only marginally more than Mendy. Barnes is more of a supplementary forward. A very good one. But he's not a winger.

Successful take-ons per 90

Tetê                       2.44

Maddison             1.62

Iheanacho            1.62

Dewsbury-Hall     1.57

Perez                     1.43

Tielemans            1.00

Fofana                  1.00

Barnes                  0.89

Mendy                   0.85

I’ve always wondered how he would fare playing upfront. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

I’ve always wondered how he would fare playing upfront. 

He would be like Lookman at Atalanta, in the bracket of Dybala, Lautaro and other second strikers, second option is playing as a Wing Forward in a 3/4/3 where the Wing back would do all the work for him, the closest player to him at the wing is Salah but he is better all round.

7 minutes ago, BenTayfour said:

He would be like Lookman at Atalanta, in the bracket of Dybala, Lautaro and other second strikers, second option is playing as a Wing Forward in a 3/4/3 where the Wing back would do all the work for him, the closest player to him at the wing is Salah but he is better all round.

We’ve possibly missed a trick not trying him up front. 

2 hours ago, Stinky said:

I wonder if we'll play hardball with clubs wanting to sign him. Let's face it we need to get back to the PL ASAP, the less star players we have to get rid of the better. He doesn't strike me as the sort of player that is going to strop and force a move. Might be a risk worth taking and selling him for 20/25m next summer if we don't go up/doesn't sign an extension instead of 50m this summer, unless we can confidently replace him. He should be guaranteed plenty of goals/assists at that level 

...take the £50m!!!

We moan about players running down their contracts, or not selling them at the right time. This will be the right time, we can bring someone in and be just as strong.

1 hour ago, Buzzell said:

We’ve possibly missed a trick not trying him up front. 

...yes we have, played in a 4-3-3, he should be effective, he just does not have the instinct of a winger!!!

He has a great touch around the box, I have said we have not seen anywhere near the best of him upfront, he just does not trust himself enough.

Circumstances dictate it’s time to cash in on Barnes and Maddison. Doing that will mean we will survive the drop without many other financial implications, and make some wise signings. He’s a great winger and scores and assists, but needs must.

• Like 3

Barnes is the one saleable asset we should play hardball and try to hold onto imo. Assuming his contract has a relegation clause so we aren’t paying stupid wages, and the financial situation isn’t so dire that we have to do it now. He has enough of a contract left that we could hold on for one season in hope of bouncing straight back then selling if that doesn’t happen. 

He is guaranteed goals and assists, and would be one of the best attackers in the league. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Barnes is the one saleable asset we should play hardball and try to hold onto imo. Assuming his contract has a relegation clause so we aren’t paying stupid wages, and the financial situation isn’t so dire that we have to do it now. He has enough of a contract left that we could hold on for one season in hope of bouncing straight back then selling if that doesn’t happen. 

He is guaranteed goals and assists, and would be one of the best attackers in the league. 

Even with the relegation clause it will be stupid wages for the Championship though. Not selling players is how we got into this mess 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Even with the relegation clause it will be stupid wages for the Championship though. Not selling players is how we got into this mess 

There are plenty of others that can go before Barnes, like Soumare, Preat, Mendy, Perez, Soy, Youri, Madders, Castange.

That will reduce the wage bill massively. 

We need to keep Barnes and aim for an immediate return to the Prem

Edited by whoareyaaa

11 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

There are plenty of others that can go before Barnes, like Soumare, Preat, Mendy, Perez, Soy, Youri, Madders, Castange.

That will reduce the wage bill massively. 

We need to keep Barnes and aim for an immediate return to the Prem

Not disagreeing but you also have to sell some of those players. Who is going to buy Soumare Praet or Castagne on their wages? Let alone the likes of Ward or Ndidi or Daka and, sad as I am to say it as they’ve been amazing players for us, but Vardy and Albrighton will also be crutches on the wage bill no one who wants them will be to afford. 

It’s not as easy as just getting rid of players on high wages we don’t want. Barnes is one of our most sellable assets unfortunately. He’ll be one of the easiest to actually let go to get our wage bill down 

Edited by Sampson

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not disagreeing but you also have to sell some of those players. Who is going to buy Soumare Praet or Castagne on their wages? Let alone the likes of Ward or Ndidi or Daka and, sad as I am to say it as they’ve been amazing players for us, but Vardy and Albrighton will also be crutches on the wage bill no one who wants them will be to afford. 

It’s not as easy as just getting rid of players on high wages we don’t want. Barnes is one of our most sellable assets unfortunately. He’ll be one of the easiest to actually let go to get our wage bill down 

They would have to take a wage cut I doubt they want to be here anyway esp now we are in the Championship.