Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

Barnes is a brilliant finisher, now scores more then he should if you believe XG and that’s uncommon in wingers, especially in the Prem.

But he doesn’t do anything else at all and thinks he’s the star man. I feel he’s always playing for himself. I remember Roma away, he looked like he couldn’t give a ****. He can be so so lazy. Never try’s to play anyone in. Cant beat a man. He gives it only if he see’s the one two. So many games pass him by aswell, passenger to often. He could give and do so much more and that’s what has annoyed me and I know so many others. 

I will say though, if you build a team around him, creating chances for him in the channels, like we used to with Vardy, or how Liverpool did with Salah and Mane in their day, he’d score 20 goals a season in the League alone. So maybe my annoyance is misplaced. Fair play to him good luck where ever he goes. 

Edited by Levi Port
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

People saying they don’t rate Barnes is a Mystery to me.

he was our top scorer last season with 13 goals. For a winger, in a relegated team, that’s a brilliant return.

he scored more goals than Nacho, Daka and Vardy combined.

I found much of the criticism odd, because he's often our only attacking threat.

However, much like with Maddison, for Barnes to be 'worth' a place in the side he'd have to get Salah/Haaland/Kane figures to counter the endless goals and chances he gives away by not defending or helping with build up. So much of our defensive struggles start with Barnes/Maddison/Tielemans. The same way Van Dijk looks much worse because he's got players up front and in midfield offering no cover compared to before. 

Over the course of 38 games, Barnes offers on average about 1 good chance per game, that's not enough to counter his flaws on and off the ball. The difference with Mahrez for example, is that whilst he was poor defensively, he could progress the ball up the pitch, had the technical ability to play through balls, crosses and beat players, Barnes doesn't have any of that. 

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

I think £40m will do it.

He's homegrown too. Even fills a quota for a significant amount of clubs who have a lot of foreign players. Carries a bit of sway. 

2 hours ago, Levi Port said:

Barnes is a brilliant finisher, now scores more then he should if you believe XG and that’s uncommon in wingers, especially in the Prem.

But he doesn’t do anything else at all and thinks he’s the star man. I feel he’s always playing for himself. I remember Roma away, he looked like he couldn’t give a ****. He can be so so lazy. Never try’s to play anyone in. Cant beat a man. He gives it only if he see’s the one two. So many games pass him by aswell, passenger to often. He could give and do so much more and that’s what has annoyed me and I know so many others. 

I will say though, if you build a team around him, creating chances for him in the channels, like we used to with Vardy, or how Liverpool did with Salah and Mane in their day, he’d score 20 goals a season in the League alone. So maybe my annoyance is misplaced. Fair play to him good luck where ever he goes. 

...those problems will still exist!!!

What you have described is a player who is playing out of position.

Barnes is a striker who has been rammed into a winger pigeonhole by the club and most on here. He doesn't have great close control  and he doesn't defend but what he does do is score goals and clubs pay a lot of money for that. 13 in a poor team is 18 to 20 in a good team and that would make him a leading PL striker. I doubt whether he would want to spend much time kicking around in the Championship. Off you go son.

23 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Barnes is a striker who has been rammed into a winger pigeonhole by the club and most on here. He doesn't have great close control  and he doesn't defend but what he does do is score goals and clubs pay a lot of money for that. 13 in a poor team is 18 to 20 in a good team and that would make him a leading PL striker. I doubt whether he would want to spend much time kicking around in the Championship. Off you go son.

Agree. Barnes’ strength is pace and strong running (and finishing). With a bit of practice, he could probably play a Jamie Vardy role, but his positioning isn’t as good.

A striker playing as a winger.

Yeh £40m for Barnes easily.

He’s English, he’s young and he scores and assists. Yes he’s not been so consistent for us but if in the right system and used more as a striker I can see him thriving.

If we somehow manage to keep him then he plays upfront all day for me.

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

At least £40m anything less is taking the piss.

With 2 years on his contract and his goal stats you would hope we can get 40m.

If we sell for anything under that we should add every performance clause going (goals, place finish, trophies, sell on clause) to maximise our return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think this will be agreed quite quickly IMO. £35m with other add ons.

We agree that we want to shooting

35m for the 12th-highest scorer in the league and 6th-highest Englishman.

60 goals contributions in 146 games.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We agree that we want to shooting

35m for the 12th-highest scorer in the league and 6th-highest Englishman.

60 goals contributions in 146 games.

Total package will be about £45m, you're not getting much more than that. Maddison we might get £50m at a push but as a Championship club we'll be pressured.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Total package will be about £45m, you're not getting much more than that. Maddison we might get £50m at a push but as a Championship club we'll be pressured.

Without knowing the details of our finances it is hard to tell.

If we get Maddison done early we may play a bit more hardball on the fee for Barnes. 

We really need to be pushing for 90m plus for the two combined.

Think we have to remember the premium on English players too. 

Sad times with a bit better planning we should have been building our side around these two for the next 2 or 3 years. 

• Like 1