Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

World Football Thread 2023/2024

Not even sure where to put this...

Anyone watch the USA/Mexico match tonight? 4 straight reds and there probably could have been more. 

Mexican fans chanting some sort of offensive crap and the match was cut short.

We(Canada) won 2-0 over Panama earlier in the other semi. Great to have Phonzie back!

Should be a good final Sunday vs the US and whatever players they have left to play in it lol

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Not even sure where to put this...

Anyone watch the USA/Mexico match tonight? 4 straight reds and there probably could have been more. 

Mexican fans chanting some sort of offensive crap and the match was cut short.

We(Canada) won 2-0 over Panama earlier in the other semi. Great to have Phonzie back!

Should be a good final Sunday vs the US and whatever players they have left to play in it lol

Madness. 

Why did McKennie get sent off but not Sanchez? 

Why was Ochoa shown a yellow at the end? 

Referee lost control. Distinct difference in style of refereeing compared to here. Usually if it flares up, refs here just let it thrash out for a few seconds, take stock of who's involved and who's done what and then dish out the cards. 

I don't think the ref helped above by getting cards out straight away and inflaming the situation? No need when there's VAR in place anyway. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Madness. 

Why did McKennie get sent off but not Sanchez? 

Why was Ochoa shown a yellow at the end? 

Referee lost control. Distinct difference in style of refereeing compared to here. Usually if it flares up, refs here just let it thrash out for a few seconds, take stock of who's involved and who's done what and then dish out the cards. 

I don't think the ref helped above by getting cards out straight away and inflaming the situation? No need when there's VAR in place anyway. 

Looks like a typical USA V Mexico match to me.:D

40 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Looks like a typical USA V Mexico match to me.:D

It was incredible. I mean US - Mexico is normally spicy, but this game had everything. Goals, scuffles, a ref completely losing control of the game, Mexican fans throwing shit on the field, and then it eventually had to be called due to the homophobic chats.

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

It was incredible. I mean US - Mexico is normally spicy, but this game had everything. Goals, scuffles, a ref completely losing control of the game, Mexican fans throwing shit on the field, and then it eventually had to be called due to the homophobic chats.

I know, the US V Mexico games are always worth a watch, they make England games seem so dull...which they are of course.:D

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2023 at 12:37, Detroit Blues said:

I have a great idea. Let these 2 countries co-host a World Cup. 

Oh wait. 

On 17/06/2023 at 17:04, Fear Of The Fox said:

I have a great idea. Let these 2 countries co-host a World Cup. 

Oh wait. 

You do realize the two countries don’t actually hate each other, right?

As for Mexico and the fan chants, they’ve been the ire of FIFA for years.  
This past World Cup is the first one I remember when you didn’t hear any of the chants (especially when the opposing goalie was clearing).  Not sure how FIFA got it to stop when fines and threats of banning didn’t work.

Anyways, I’m off to Houston this weekend to see Mexico take on Honduras in a Gold Cup block match, and can’t wait!

Was pretty disappointed with our play last night in the final against the US. 

First time I've ever got upset with Phonzie, but that was really down to us being down 2 goals and him trying to do way too much on his own.

I see that him, Jonathan David and a few of our other starters are all skipping the Gold Cup. 

Oh, and a big salute to Atiba Hutchinson, who played his final match for Canada, after debuting 20 years ago :appl:

Balogun is a huge add for the U.S..  They’ve desperately needed a true striker to act as a foil for guys like Pulisic and Reyna and Balogun seems to give them that.  He’s already established in a European first division as a major goal threat and even after 2 matches he’s clearly the Americans’ best option as a #9.

Just a shame nepotism and mediocrity won out and they brought back Berhalter.  He’s pretty terrible - with a better hire they might have had the potential for a deep run acting as WC hosts.

La Liga fixtures out. 

Apparently 99,999 fixture calendars to choose from, and they have a draw for 5 people to each select a number lol

44111 was the number chosen. 

Not sure if that's how they do it all the time. 

29 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

86m a year I read Kante is on, that's obscene. God knows what benzema and Ronaldo are on. 

Am quite disappointed with him, to be honest.

Heard a few times during his time in England that he was modest and sensible despite the money he was on (for example, having a Mini whilst at Leicester).

Edited by Wymsey

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Heard a few times during his time in England that he was modest and sensible despite the money he was on (for example, having a Mini whilst at Leicester).

He’s in his 30s and has won everything there is to win so I’m sure he’s not arsed about you or anyone being disappointed in him lmao 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2023 at 01:48, Wymsey said:

Probably the only car he could see out of without a booster seat, to be fair.

UPDATE (June 27): Minnesota United FC have signed forward Teemu Pukki to a Designated Player contract through June 2025 with a club option through December 2025, the club announced Tuesday.

Finland's all-time leading scorer joins Minnesota after five seasons with Norwich City in the Premier League and Championship (England's top two divisions). While at Norwich City, the 33-year-old scored 88 goals and recorded 29 assists in 210 matches.

Bizarre situation in a pre-season friendly between Polish champions Raków Częstochowa and Czech side Slavia Prague in Austria.

After ten minutes, the referee sent off Raków's Giannis Papanikolaou for an unknown reason (which really seemed to surprise Papanikolaou). But after protests, the referee and his assistants all walked off the pitch.

After discussions, the teams decided to continue the match with Raków's team manager (a former referee) as the referee, with a Slavia player and the head of a local academy as his assistants. Their first decision was to overrule their predecessors and rescind Papanikolaou's red card. 

Edited by Górnik Leicester
  • Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 07:37, CosbehFox said:

I see Qatar’s legacy on their national team has really came to fruition….Haiti beat them 2-1 yesterday 

It seems that they defeated Mexico 1-0 today and are now on their way to the Quarterfinals where they will most likely face Panama.   

Edited by Iran