Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

World Football Thread 2023/2024

On 27/06/2023 at 20:19, spacemunky said:

UPDATE (June 27): Minnesota United FC have signed forward Teemu Pukki to a Designated Player contract through June 2025 with a club option through December 2025, the club announced Tuesday.

Finland's all-time leading scorer joins Minnesota after five seasons with Norwich City in the Premier League and Championship (England's top two divisions). While at Norwich City, the 33-year-old scored 88 goals and recorded 29 assists in 210 matches.

Not a good move for him, the guy could still play in the Premiership for a team such as Sheffield United.

12 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Really hope that the Saudis' football domination hopes backfire.

It seems like football is getting even worse in terms of greed.

Said the other day the Prem's days of paying the highest salaries in world football are over. Interesting to see what their response will be, if they try and keep a lid on spending/wages or if they just go completely shackles off in an attempt to compete. But tough to compete with a league with basically infinite funds.

41 minutes ago, lfu said:

Anyone remember Luan from Gremio who was linked to us in 2016/17?

He plays for Corinthians now and their fans aren't exactly fond of him 😄
https://ge.globo.com/futebol/times/corinthians/noticia/2023/07/04/torcedores-invadem-motel-e-agridem-luan-do-corinthians.ghtml

Low performance in an orgy?, well theres a lot of pressure.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Rumours are that it will be passed, making it the first sport ever to have promotion/relegation in US sports.

Now whether the MLS would ever agree to it is another thing.

USL set to vote on promotion/relegation in August - source - ESPN

Would be great, but I don’t believe MLS can.

The way US sports are set up is the teams/owners “buy” membership into the league, so I’m not sure they could be relegated out of it.

23 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Panama beat the USA on penalties to reach the Gold Cup final .

Quite a shock although the US seem to have struggled throughout the tournament to win games .

Huge shock, it was USA's b squad though.

Edited by purpleronnie

5 hours ago, marbles said:

Would be great, but I don’t believe MLS can.

The way US sports are set up is the teams/owners “buy” membership into the league, so I’m not sure they could be relegated out of it.

Yeah I cant see it anytime soon, giiven how much it costs to buy an MLS team and the disparity between what can be earnt in the MLS compared to the lower leagues.  But at least it makes the lower leagues more interesting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Huge shock, it was USA's b squad though.

Think most teams had their B Squad out there, since the Nations Cup Tourney ended a week before this started.

But, US still should have beaten Panama.  All tourney long they seemed uninterested.  Only turning it on once they were down, or time was running out.

Did get to see Demarai Gray play for Jamaica in the semi final defeat to Mexico.

Looked about like I remember him looking here.  

Edited by marbles

7 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Inter Miami certainly pulling out all the stops and fair play to those 2 going West not East

I live in the US now and the fan fair around messi is insane! Got to be expected though I guess. Miami are bottom of the league.

next season will be interesting. Let’s see if Messi has enough powers to make Miami competitive. Messi Will need more better players around him for sure. We on the west coast won’t see him unless Miami get through to the play offs and the leaders of the different regions get to face off.

5 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I live in the US now and the fan fair around messi is insane! Got to be expected though I guess. Miami are bottom of the league.

next season will be interesting. Let’s see if Messi has enough powers to make Miami competitive. Messi Will need more better players around him for sure. We on the west coast won’t see him unless Miami get through to the play offs and the leaders of the different regions get to face off.

With the addition of Busquets, who many attribute to being the brains behind that great Barcelona team, he certainly has someone helping him & will organise their defense & midfield.

I wonder how Phil Neville feels, you never gave me this when i was in charge!

6 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Is there any possibility of switching their home games? becuse I'm sure they would be able to easily fill Hard Rock Stadium every game, its about 4 times the size.