Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

18 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

personally i dont mind the style of play at times, but sometimes its just soul sucking, like playing it safe with some passes when youd rather see a bit more risk etc

id rather see us play a mix of direct football and possession but we dont do that enough

We literally do play direct football. 

At one point in the second half it's all we did. Pinged it hopefully in the general direction of their goal. 

Our fans have, for some reason, got a hard on for slagging us off for short, patient play. Even when that's not what's happening on the pitch. It's bizarre.

• Like 1

Awful evening, playing Ndidi on his weaker side and KDH on his weaker side as far away from the play as possible was so obviously wrong from 20 minutes in. Nothing to take from that. Been done by a **** Millwall side 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Such a ludicrous statement - it's these tactics that have led to us - prepare yourself for this - to be top of the table with 5 games of the season left, in a season that will go down as the most competitive ever.

You can't have it both ways, feller.

Nope, not ludicrous at all.

Squad we’ve got where the likes of Coady, Souttar and Praet have barely featured and yet we have 9 losses to our name is shocking.

This guy is not adapting/evolving.

We could’ve kept Dean Smith or hired a Mowbray/Warnock last summer and have as many, maybe more points as we have now. 

49 pts from the last 27 games. 

Terrible record against any genuine quality in this division. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammo said:

Rodgers was operating in the PL. Maresca in the Championship. They are both guilty of misuse of resources because they are steadfast to the point of stubbornness in dictating one particular style of play, which overrides everything else. And when opponents learn to work out how to counter that style, they     are clueless as to how to respond - not least during the game itself.

I think they are very similar.

Fair I can't disagree with any of that.

I guess i'm speaking purely from a boredom/fed up of the styles implemented comparison and perspective, but all of what you said is actually comparable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

90% of bog standard managers would have us up by now. Neil Harris. Mark robins. Warnock. Farke. Etc etc 

This squad just needed a steady hand. Instead, we have appointed a mad professor. 

He's the Liz Truss of football management 

Or dare I say it? - Dean Smith😂

• Like 4

Just now, Nod.E said:

At one point in the second half it's all we did. Pinged it hopefully in the general direction of their goal. 

Our fans have, for some reason, got a hard on for slagging us off for short, patient play. Even when that's not what's happening on the pitch. It's bizarre.

you must be confused, they was our corners :ph34r:

by direct i mean not long ball so to speak, i mean 3/4 passes then shot, not 30 the give it away

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fair I can't disagree with any of that.

I guess i'm speaking purely from a boredom/fed up of the styles implemented comparison and perspective, but all of what you said is actually comparable.

Another similarity is that you get the feeling it is beneath Maresca  - just as it was with Rodgers - to practise corners as a means of scoring goals.

5 minutes ago, Levi Port said:

Awful evening, playing Ndidi on his weaker side and KDH on his weaker side as far away from the play as possible was so obviously wrong from 20 minutes in. Nothing to take from that. Been done by a **** Millwall side 

It reminded me of when we had Evans and Soyuncu arguably the best cb partnership in the premier league at the time, Soyuncu lcb and evans rcb, and for some inexplicable reason that leaves me sometimes thinking about it at night, Rodgers decided to swap them around for a league cup semi final. Like what the **** was that about? What was the reasoning behind it? If we don’t go up I fear that kdh and ndidi being swapped sides, after kdh receives a poty nomination and looks like he’s getting back to his best will do similar tricks to my mind 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

you must be confused, they was our corners :ph34r:

by direct i mean not long ball so to speak, i mean 3/4 passes then shot, not 30 the give it away

Thing is we did have a fair number of shots. They were so deep (and commited, let's be fair), that they blocked every one of them. 5 blocked shots according to the stats.

In tight games like tonight you need to make the most of the chances/moments you do get. Mavididi's one on one first half was a huge moment, and he fluffed it. Daka and Iheanacho both missed good chances with their head. 

Ultimately we got it wrong. We should have stayed patient. As evidenced by the big chances afforded to Iheanacho and Daka in the closing stages, those chances were going to come. We didn't need to force the issue.

I'd rather our desperation to score manifested itself as bringing more attackers on early, than letting Faes start to go walkabouts.

• Like 1

Another similarity is that you get the feeling it is beneath Maresca  - just as it was with Rodgers - to practise corners as a means of scoring goals.

Oh yeah, you get the feeling he (And again let me broaden it out, the modern manager) would rather every goal has to be walked in and be the 'perfect' goal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Those fcking corners tonight.

What a joke 

Tonight and every other night (and afternoon). You have to wonder whether they ever practise them in training.

There is so much I can pick out of this philosophy that I have seen no signs of this season.

When we need a goal against a poor side, and I mean absolutely below our level, we absolutely rely on one of our players doing something special to scrape wins. It's happened time and time again. 

Then this idea that when we play teams out standard we wait for them to come to us and play round them. Again absolutely not happened and our record against those teams is laughable.

I honestly think Lampard or Gerrard would have got us up by now. That's how much I think this squad is above this level. Absolute disgrace.

Tonight and every other night (and afternoon). You have to wonder whether they ever practise them in training.

Same routine. Every corner. Our Players just inside edge of box. Four or five defenders and keeper clear  pretty much unopposed in six yard box .

Totally,. utterly, bafflingly bizarre 

39 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

You can have your plan A, fine, that's the managers idea and it's fair to give it go. It's the lack of changing or variety that will stop Enzo ever being at a higher level. 

Pep switches players and positions constantly and quickly, even he had a style. 

Pep this season has played a 4231, 433, 3421 and a 4141, all of those formations are fluid and change throughout the game depending on the opponent. 

• Like 1

I get the idea of working the ball round but it seems the players don't actually do much running round to create space and draw opposition players away. They just pass from stationary positions and stay there waiting to get the ball back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Pep this season has played a 4231, 433, 3421 and a 4141, all of those formations are fluid and change throughout the game depending on the opponent. 

This guy couldn't be further than pep. Pep is a winner. It's win at almost any cost. 

The work rate of.man city players is unbelievable. 

This clown seems to want to prove how you can win a league with minimal effort. Nothing like Pep 

• Like 2

Just now, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I get the idea of working the ball round but it seems the players don't actually do much running round to create space and draw opposition players away. They just pass from stationary positions and stay there waiting to get the ball back. 

I think a big problem we've had with this system is that although there is logic to the idea that it takes more effort for a player to run across the pitch to reposition himself than it does for us to pass the ball, and logically that would tire the opponents out, we do it so slowly that the opponents often just walk around the pitch repositioning whilst we aimlessly hold the ball waiting for space to open up. 
I said this from game 2 or 3, if we just passed the ball side to side and onto the wings QUICKLY, we might just be able to create space elsewhere, instead by the time we've got the ball from Mavididi to the other wing, the opponent has managed to slowly drift across and reposition, and it's back to square one. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

In the 94th minute Faes and Vestegaard did 4 passes with each other. 

It's more a heavily reliant wing play approach with wingers who have about 2 settings. Fatawu is the only one who looks remotely like beating his man out the two at the moment.

Most games it's not even having a striker on the pitch.