Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Just now, The_77 said:

I’m having a lot of trouble coming up with managers who would have done worse than 9 losses at this point in the season with this squad.

Quarter of our games lost just about. With a wage bill of 64m (around 9 times above anybody else) and him having spent 40m himself (15m on players he won't use) 

It's a.shameful promotion, assuming we are promoted (which I still think we'll muddle through,.mainly due to the crowd at home game now, who actually have turned up now it's an emergency)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Lost 9 games........

Burnley lost 3 last season.

One of those was 1-0 to QPR when they had already secured the title

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_77 said:

I’m having a lot of trouble coming up with managers who would have done worse than 9 losses at this point in the season with this squad.

It's the meekness of the defeats as well

Millwall and Bristol City score, you already know it's game over

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

So many teams this season will have come off the pitch saying to themselves we aren’t actually very good 

And fans.

… and not just ours!

With Leeds starting to show signs that they're in their usual end of season 'bottle job' mode, we could have been well clear of them with a game in hand, but we played tonight like it was a pre-season friendly. No intensity and tactically naive. We were playing against a Millwall side just beaten by Huddersfield and Rotherham for ....sake! The minimum requirement was to match their effort and then, utilizing our vastly superior talent, take them apart. Losing is one thing but losing like that to Millwall...Fuming!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Quarter of our games lost just about. With a wage bill of 64m (around 9 times above anybody else) and him having spent 40m himself (15m on players he won't use) 

It's a.shameful promotion, assuming we are promoted (which I still think we'll muddle through,.mainly due to the crowd at home game now, who actually have turned up now it's an emergency)

I’ve been a longtime defender of Enzo this season but his football ain’t gonna work if we get promoted, are starting six points back, and can’t reinforce the squad next season. We had enough trouble playing Enzo Ball with a vastly superior squad against Millwall.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_77 said:

I’ve been a longtime defender of Enzo this season but his football ain’t gonna work if we get promoted, are starting six points back, and can’t reinforce the squad next season. We had enough trouble playing Enzo Ball with a vastly superior squad against Millwall.

Remember our reserves brushed Millwall aside a few weeks ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

I said in another thread that Dean Smith would have gotten this squad promoted. He may have struggled in gaining the respect of the players after relegation but say if he came in fresh I don't think he would have done worse. I genuinely think if we had a manager that essentially just had the 'we have better players than you, just go out and show it' attitude rather than being so fixated on this ideology, then we would get over the line. 

2 hours ago, lcfcell said:

So many teams this season will have come off the pitch saying to themselves we aren’t actually very good 

You wonder how many regret their cowardice. I think opposition fans' perception of us is absolutely miles above what the reality is. This has been the case for ages as well. I preferred it when we were underrated. Suited us more.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Lost 9 games........

Burnley lost 3 last season.

In 8 of the last 9 seasons in the Championship, teams have been promoted losing 9 or more games, including a Fulham team that has since comfortably stayed up for the past 2 seasons. After being in the PL for so long before this season, we've forgotten it's normal for successful teams to lose quite often. 

In addition, Burnley "only" won 29 games last season. We've won 28 already, with 5 games left. 

4 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

The Enzo "calm" hand signal is quickly becoming as irritating as the Rodgers clap. 

The last thing I want is to do when we're chasing the game is to be calm and slow it down. 

Don't mind the clap, there's a worse nightmare:

The shopping list notepad. 

• Like 1

I think the real underlying issue is that even if we do get promoted, which frankly the fact that's an if is an absolute joke in itself for me, but if we do see it through we've seen enough of the limitations and enough of the one-dimension to know that we'd get absolutely bummed in the Premier League. My gripe's less that he has a way he wants to play it's that its as wedded to just playing one formation at any cost, in any situation, with any personnel and there is no changing it. An assumption that 'the system' will trump all.

The longer time has gone on the more it looks to me we're doing it in spite of the system rather than because of it. Good luck when that individual quality is inferior in 80% of games next season, "if" we get promoted.

I'd be far more willing to forgive his shortcomings if I saw him looking for solutions but he just assumes he's cracked it and the others will trip themselves up. It's brutal. It's like being on the titanic, you know an absolute shitstorm is inevitable.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Were we found out against norwich and birmingham or is it only when we don't win that we've been found out?

I’m sorry but if you can’t see the differences then I’m afraid you’re part of the problem.

• Like 2

The middle of the pitch was so congested last night and we added to that by pushing Ricardo further forward. There was no space for anyone to play in. 

Why not try overlapping full backs for twenty minutes? Takes Ricardo and one of there midfielders out of the centre of the pitch.

Its the same passing moves over and over, teams know what’s coming now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

The middle of the pitch was so congested last night and we added to that by pushing Ricardo further forward. There was no space for anyone to play in. 

Why not try overlapping full backs for twenty minutes? Takes Ricardo and one of there midfielders out of the centre of the pitch.

Its the same passing moves over and over, teams know what’s coming now.

The guy has literally learnt nothing since the first defeats to Boro and Leeds.

Im absolutely sick of him, just get us promoted and walk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Losing a lot of 50/50s now.

If we have the base of front foot football, win your 50/50s and run harder than the opposition you get results like Norwich and Birmingham. 

If you don’t know that minimum layer, then you get last night where it looks you are firmly on the beach. 

For me, he’s failing to motivate these players on the very basics because he’s prioritised the ‘plan a’ above all else 

35 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

If we were managed by Farke or McKenna, I genuinely think we'd be promoted by now. 

I’d go as far to say any manager with promotion experience would have had us up by now. He’s so inexperienced on a number of levels - his outward messaging has been an issue this season too 

7 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I said in another thread that Dean Smith would have gotten this squad promoted. He may have struggled in gaining the respect of the players after relegation but say if he came in fresh I don't think he would have done worse. I genuinely think if we had a manager that essentially just had the 'we have better players than you, just go out and show it' attitude rather than being so fixated on this ideology, then we would get over the line. 

Neil Warnock would have this squad multiple points clear. Sad, but in my opinion, true.

• Haha 1