Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Just now, Matt said:

I'm still waiting for answers regarding:

How this style is sustainable, how it preserves energy and how it breaks teams down?

Answers on a postcard advocates of "How the game should be played" fans.

it frankly isnt, if you dont adapt you die, and our tactics are basically doing that, 

a good manager is flexible with tactics and formation, Enzo isnt even doing that, rigid like a corpse atm tbf 

we are slow in the build up play, take little to no risks, atm its like whats the point

dont get me wrong i like hes controlling possession etc and keeping it on the floor but **** me, we need to do something with it, stop trying to score the perfect goal, mix up the passing, take risks

enzo needs to adapt, even Arteta changes his style when needed

• Like 1

Chances to break quickly tonight yet we dally on the ball because it has to be controlled possession..

the oppo gets back into their formation and we have zero creativity in breaking them down ..

It’s an  awful watch.. as Brendan as you can get… wouldnt care less if he walked tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Domination of the ball does not mean domination of the game.

Exactly.

Even more extreme:

The commentator tonight said “despite dominating the game” As we were passing around the back four, at 78 minutes, 1-0 down to a very very poor side.

Even my Mrs looked up from her phone to say “surely it’s suits them for us to be doing that. You could say they’re dominating us”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Finn Claw II said:

But he’s an elite manager.  It’s not fair to judge him without giving him an extra £100m to spend.

The opposition are not playing fair by pressing and scoring on the break or defending deep 

Getting found out a lot now 

4 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

But he’s an elite manager.  It’s not fair to judge him without giving him an extra £100m to spend.

The opposition are not playing fair by pressing and scoring on the break or defending deep 

Thats the problem, on paper the theory looks so good. But these pesky teams aren't doing what he thinks will happen on paper.

I've been quite dismissive of how much modern managers obsess over tactics, forgetting that it's a very small part of the game, or at least the impact is less than they think. Then I had a think about the biggest elements that are mostly down to coaching; defensive setup and set pieces.

Defensive setup: Was looking at it last night and I genuinely don't know what Enzo is trying to do. We don't press the ball at all which seems strange for a team that wants to dominate the ball and should be superior to every other team in this league. We're extremely passive but we're also not well organised. The right hand side is always an issue given the setup but there are also many gaps all over the pitch and playing through the lines is very simple. Look at the organisation of Plymouth and Millwall by comparison. We should be much more aggressive but if not, there's no reason we can't be incredibly difficult to break down given the players don't need the same levels of concentration as the opposition.

Set pieces: What needs to be said? This is all about drilling the players and yes, it requires them to take responsibility but neither seems to happen. The delivery is often poor but there's been plenty in the right area but we don't even look like getting first contact, let alone scoring. Defensively, the same vulnerabilities remain.

For me these are the 2 most tangible things where it comes down to coaching (attacking can be far more free flowing) and we look amateurish. Enzo is looking like an utterly awful coach at the moment

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of social media posts calling Ipswich lucky for the amount of late goals and deflected goals they have scored, however i disagree I think it’s more a reward for the mentality they show, they are not afraid to lay siege to the goal when needed which then leads to mistakes and deflections etc. 

I don’t necessarily have an issue with our style of play, however it’s the lack of tempo and intensity that frustrates me.  I cannot remember the last time we scored a lucky deflected goal after laying siege. Even at 1-0 down we are still trying to create the perfect chance, and that becomes harder and harder the later the game goes on and the deeper the opposition are, you haven’t got the space to create clear perfect opportunities so in last ten minutes in about getting balls into the box to create mistakes and deflections that lead to goals, balls directed hard and low into congested areas can cause havoc in final few minutes but we never try it. 

On Friday even though in the last 15 minutes Plymouth barely left there own half we had made two like for like subs and kept the exact same formation, we didn’t need a defensive midfielder at that stage he could have thrown on either Cannon as the extra striker or even Yunus to play as a 10 either side of KDH and Praet, in place of Winks and given  Plymouth something different to think about, but we didn’t and as a consequence barely laid a glove on their goal. 

• Like 2

Bayer Leverkusen, who have won the Bundesliga, are managed by Xabi Alonso who played under Pep Guardiola and could be described as one of his disciples (although that would be disingenuous as he played had under other big managers such as Mourinho, Benitez, del Bosque etc.). They play a possession based game, however, if you watch them they play with such freedom and purpose within a structure. It is a world away from the rigid and insipid football we have become used to seeing. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Bayer Leverkusen, who have won the Bundesliga, are managed by Xabi Alonso played under Pep Guardiola and could be described as one of his disciples (although that would be disingenuous as he had under other big managers such as Mourinho, Benitez, del Bosque etc.). They play a possession based game, however, if you watch them they play with such freedom and purpose within a structure. It is a world away from the rigid and insipid football we have become used to seeing. 

We’ll need 3 new centrebacks, new wingbacks, new centre mids and new strikers we should be good to go! 🤣🤣

Problem is the Man City style of football is great in the Premier League with World class players but it was never going to be effective in the Championship. The league is far, far to physical and direct. It worked to an extent for a period but we've been worked out and quite frankly we are just getting bullied now. 

No right back most of the time , one up top just not working and lack of power through the middle when our wingers get doubled up on which they have been the last few games and we have looked clueless. 

Mavadidi has been poor last 4 or 5 games. Personally i would like to see us switch to a 3-5-2 and bring back the vardy/nacho partnership , Drop mavadidi and replace him with justin who can help out at the back plus get forward  and keep fatuwa who has shown he can be decent tracking back also.

--------------------------------- hermannsen--------------------------------------

-----------------faes-------------vesty---------------doyle 

fatuwa--------winks---------ndidi-----------kdh--------justin

------------------------nacho---------------vardy----------------------------------

Something must change because if millwall and plymouth can snuff us out you can be sure west brom,southampton will :(

3 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

No right back most of the time , one up top just not working and lack of power through the middle when our wingers get doubled up on which they have been the last few games and we have looked clueless. 

Mavadidi has been poor last 4 or 5 games. Personally i would like to see us switch to a 3-5-2 and bring back the vardy/nacho partnership , Drop mavadidi and replace him with justin who can help out at the back plus get forward  and keep fatuwa who has shown he can be decent tracking back also.

--------------------------------- hermannsen--------------------------------------

-----------------faes-------------vesty---------------doyle 

fatuwa--------winks---------ndidi-----------kdh--------justin

------------------------nacho---------------vardy----------------------------------

Something must change because if millwall and plymouth can snuff us out you can be sure west brom,southampton will :(

No he hasn’t. Good games at home against Norwich and Birmingham. Recency bias is a nightmare. How anyone thinks nacho deserves to start ahead of mavadidi makes my mind boggle. 

• Like 1

Mads

Coady            Vesty            Doyle

Fatawu         Ricardo          Winks           KDH           Mavididi

Cannon           Vardy