Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

9 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

If we have a lack of attacking options and the opposition defend well, I won't be suprised to see more similarities to Rogers era. What's markedly different is the weak mentality. I believed we'd nick a winner from somewhere today. The last 12 months I always felt we were going to throw away a lead, an on about 15 occasions we did.

The only saving grace is that the strikers we’ve been playing against have been nowhere near premier league standards so we have not thrown away a lead 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

But when the opponents are in the ascendency or, more simply, attacking us, Ricardo, by the very nature of the system, reverts back to RB - I don't think it was anything special, that's just the way it works....

Sorry what I meant was he was it looked like he was told to stay there whether we were going forwards or attacking. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

But you’ve still got 7 players to play with for those other positions and you still can’t use them all. 

A GK is limited to being a GK but you’re pretty screwed if you have to end up putting an outfield player in goal. Yes it’s rare, but it does happen. 

9 subs basically means this never has to be a possibility and you’ve still got more options than you need for outfield. 

7 subs to cover 10 positions, of which many players can play more than 1, is plenty. 

It's about the different options the different players give you that are required in game to try and effect a result.

You're far more likely to have a potential solution off the bench from an additional outfield player than the rare event you need to have made 2 subs for keepers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyleolly said:

The only saving grace is that the strikers we’ve been playing against have been nowhere near premier league standards so we have not thrown away a lead 

Yes there is that but there were many times where it felt inevitable the opposition were going to score and Rogers didn't make any changes to change the tide of the game, games just drifted. I think all 3 games so far have been with us behind or level going into the final quarter of the game. If we find ourselves with a lead, an need to make some more defensive changes, I don't think Enzo will just do nothing he will be a bit more proactive.

53 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Off the top of my head.

Carlo Ancelotti has done, one of the most successful manager in the game.

So has Unai Emery another who I'd class as a top manager 

Are these in league games or European games where you have to have 2 on the bench?

On 12/08/2023 at 15:54, st albans fox said:

Can we get this done and dusted please 

40 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Well the debate originally started because of the suggestion that Maresca was lining up with two keepers purely as part of a battle he's having with the board, some kind of elaborate stunt to show how frustrated he is with the clubs lack of transfer activity and so on.  :dunno:

Probably more of a sign to tell players not selected in the squad that they are nowhere near his planned match day squad as he will bring an additional goalie over bringing them.

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

But he can only bring on so many attacking players and if you look closely, he's very particular about the type of subs he does use  - trying to keep the conversation away from conspiracy theories and focussed on tactics - so far maresca's use of substitutes has been masterful:

v Coventry - 1-0 down, brings on vardy on 75, KDH scores 2 minutes later, we go on to win the game also partly because he swaps mcateer for hamza to help survive 9 minutes of added time.

v Huddersfield - 0-0 after 55 minutes, swaps marcal and nacho for vardy and ndidi, 5 minutes after vardy comes on we score.

v Cardiff - vardy and casadei come on and get the assist and the winning goal.

None of these games were adversely effected by a lack of options off the bench.  Maresca has a clear plan 'A' each game, and can see what needs to be done to change games if it isn't working or if he sees a weakness in the oppositions game; and if you look at the subs he's used ( vardy x 2, hamza x 2, albrighton x 2, Nacho, Praet & casadei) apart from casadei he's only using the most experienced players he has, so there's no issue, he doesn't need to have 8 outfield players available.

If its a conspiracy theory then why did he refuse to answer the question about it at the post match presser? 

Will add to my previous post, but time for some sexy Maresca-ball clips:

giphy.gif

Brilliant move, would love to have seen Doyle score this one. Showcase of playing out from the back to generate numerical superiorities further up the pitch. Doyle is a CB / LB hybrid and just 19, but look at his quality!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 1

giphy.gif

^ Our wingers are told to hug the touchline so that big diagonal switches are always on. The extra man in midfield makes play really compact through the middle, meaning that at worst a good ball to a winger is a 1 v 1 situation. In this example, Wanya Marcal has time to collect the ball and drive forwards such was the space he was afforded. Ndidi and Iheanacho do well to support the play and drop deep, Kelechi with a fabulous effort.

• Thanks 2

giphy.gif

^ Romeo plays through the high press and is able to make a killer progressive pass right through the middle of the team. Vestergaard must be more alert here, caught on the wrong side and his lack of pace means he can't recover. If I was an opposition manager, I would 100% be targetting this as a way to beat Leicester.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

^ Romeo plays through the high press and is able to make a killer progressive pass right through the middle of the team. Vestergaard must be more alert here, caught on the wrong side and his lack of pace means he can't recover. If I was an opposition manager, I would 100% be targetting this as a way to beat Leicester.

do feel at times Vestergaard mind goes off during a game, as you said his lack of pace and positioning is a bit iffy; 

like his game awareness can be amazing one second then hes off like a lamp post; while he hasnt done bad for us this season, personally feel we do need another CB

38 minutes ago, Dames said:

Are these in league games or European games where you have to have 2 on the bench?

Emery did it in four PL games last season, Ancelotti did it in at least a couple of PL games whilst at Everton.

Edited by coolhandfox

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I said in the post match thread how refreshing it is to have a manager who seems to be watching the same match as us, rather than bullshitting his own spin. (I'll let it go eventually)

Totally agree, same in the press conferences. It will be interesting to see if this is the case after we lose some games, and / or he starts feeling some pressure. But I find it massively refreshing. I don't have expectations of us winning every single game we play, and find it way more human when a full explanation is given. At the same time, being a manager is pretty damn stressful. I run my own company and boy... sometimes you really do feel it!

While Wanya did ok today and did manage to get a goal, mcateer is injured (and also ok but not outstanding) and no new winger imminent, am I missing why Maswanhise hasnt got anywhere near the bench yet? He seems to be our most promising attacking player in terms of output for the youth acadamy last year. Am I missing a bit of info or is this a tactical choice?

• Like 1

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Totally agree, same in the press conferences. It will be interesting to see if this is the case after we lose some games, and / or he starts feeling some pressure. But I find it massively refreshing. I don't have expectations of us winning every single game we play, and find it way more human when a full explanation is given. At the same time, being a manager is pretty damn stressful. I run my own company and boy... sometimes you really do feel it!

Was just about to say. The test will come when (if lol) we lose. I like him though - and I like what he is trying to do. (Even when we won the FA Cup I couldn't honestly say that about the last one). 

The Casadei goal. What I want to draw your attention to is that Maresca is stubborn. No last ditch ball into the box, we stick to our principles. We play the ball short and drag a few players out of position as we trigger their press. This leaves some men short which benefits us with the scramble. I am clutching at straws a bit to call this Maresca-ball, but it is in keeping with his overall phillosophy.

• Like 1