Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Harry Souttar

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

That's some list to be trying to move on.

Enzo should be telling some of them they have no future here so find another Club.

Instead he's trying to be everybody's friend. Which we all know doesn't work in Football.

I don't think he's trying to be everyone friend.

Southampton manager even said in his press conference it's a balance between picking your strongest team and players that bought into his idea even if they don't end up with them once transfer window gone (i.e lavia, ward prowse)

It could simply be that Souttar dosen't fit his idea of what he wants. Plus, no one knows who will be left by end of window so best to keep everyone on side. His Interview with Balague said they'll be incomings and outgoings.

The team you see Sunday won't be the same come end of August and see us beyond.

• Like 2

Just now, LCFCJohn said:

See your post here has raised another concern. Every player has to perfectly fit what he wants. Is he not capable of adapting or working with anyone who doesn’t fit his perfect ideal?

Every manager has a philosophy and the type of player they would rather work with. Players could be good players but moved on simply if they don't fit that idea the manager wants.

Do you think Pep would rather work with say a Duncan Ferguson type player up front or smaller but more technical forward. It would be the latter every time.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

If Maresca is keeping Faes and Vestergaard over Souttar, that's immediately a mark against him. We've just got rid of one clown who wouldn't play his best centre back (not calling Enzo a clown before anyone starts crying about it).

You're not calling him a clown but you are digging him out on something that may or may not have been said.

7 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

That makes more sense. Still think there have been some questionable selections in pre season, that seemed more than just for the sake of fitness.

Again, ypou're having a go when you have no idea of what the reasons were, why not wait until we've kicked a ball in anger, the match thread is normally an embarrassment after only 5 minutes.

5 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

See your post here has raised another concern. Every player has to perfectly fit what he wants. Is he not capable of adapting or working with anyone who doesn’t fit his perfect ideal?

You know this how? Based on the comments of people on a chat page who have no idea of what is happening at the moment let alone where we'll be by the nd of August with player options.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JimJams said:

But if he's got someone that fits why would he shoehorn somebody else in that doesn't?

I'd just worry if the guys who fit his plans were Faes and Vestergard.

I'd also imagine that the people who were responsible for our January window recruitment aren't too popular right now!

3 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Every manager has a philosophy and the type of player they would rather work with. Players could be good players but moved on simply if they don't fit that idea the manager wants.

Do you think Pep would rather work with say a Duncan Ferguson type player up front or smaller but more technical forward. It would be the latter every time.

But it can’t happen overnight. Look how long it took Pep at Man City. It seems we are trying to turn ourselves into Man City lite in one summer. I’d sooner we realise that we need to utilise what we have to an extent and do what we need to do to get back out this division at the right end!

4 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

That makes more sense. Still think there have been some questionable selections in pre season, that seemed more than just for the sake of fitness.

True. I think it's odds-on Souttar is on the subs bench against Coventry. But remember, Souttar played international football over the summer. Maybe Maresca thought he needed more recovery time and others would benefit more from the minutes.

Guest Mee-9

Complete disgrace.

Do you not remember his performance against Newcastle last season? He was a colossus. 

Some of you on here with your comparisons to Vestegaard are clueless. 

10 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

May be best to not alienate players who may end up staying in the squad for whatever reason.

That's exactly what he's trying to do. In my experience it rarely works out well. He'll be seen as weak by players who will then try and take advantage of it. Most players just want to know where they stand within the Club.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Struggle to see why you'd force out one of our longer contracts. Hoping this is nonsense cause I rate him, think his ball playing is underrated and I'd prefer to see him over Vestegaard in that role.

def better than Uncle Vester

Guest Mee-9
1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

We had 22% possession in that game. We sat in a back 5 and parked the bus for 75 minutes against Newcastle. You won’t see anything like that this season, with this manager being able to defend isn’t enough, if you can’t play with and keep the ball then he’s got not use for you. That’s why Ndidi won’t play as pivot for us under Maresca. 

We're in the Championship.

Every single team in that league would snap your hand off for Souttar. 

It's a ridiculous philosophy. Bin off the best defenders because they aren't flash. Defenders are there to defend at the end of the day. This is why I think Enzo will fall flat on his face and be gone by November. 

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

You're not calling him a clown but you are digging him out on something that may or may not have been said.

Again, ypou're having a go when you have no idea of what the reasons were, why not wait until we've kicked a ball in anger, the match thread is normally an embarrassment after only 5 minutes.

You know this how? Based on the comments of people on a chat page who have no idea of what is happening at the moment let alone where we'll be by the nd of August with player options.

It's all speculation though, isn't it? Yes, the default should be positivity and support, but anyone who likes Maresca is responsible for the same degree of guesswork as those that don't. And our club have been making strange decisions which work out badly for some time now, so I can understand the question marks flying around as to whether this manager might be another error.

I think the first poster was saying they'd worry if Faes/Vestergard were preferred over Souttar. They used the 'if' there, and I have to say I'd be worried too if that were the case. A small keeper with two CBs who looked poor from crosses and set pieces.

The second poster was just pointing out how odd some of those team selections. And they have been at times! You're totally right in pointing out that pre-season is pre-season and we don't know the intricate reasons for each decision. But we know that pre-season does give you some clues here and there, so I don't see a problem with the concern.

The third poster... Again, it's a question, and a valid one. Is he a flexible manager who adapts to his options, or does the style of play come first? I think his comments and actions could be interpreted either way, but from what I've seen - and what I've heard from some players - there's certainly a chance that he's prioritised shape and style of play. Maybe that'll turn out to be the right thing to have done as well.

5 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Complete disgrace.

Do you not remember his performance against Newcastle last season? He was a colossus. 

Some of you on here with your comparisons to Vestegaard are clueless. 

We literally parked the bus, it was the ideal tactical set up for him to excel. When we play with a high line he has struggled and on quite a few occasions was at fault with his positioning which directly or indirectly led to us conceding. 

I would personally prefer him over Vesty but I ain’t Maresca and I haven’t seen Souttar in training, maybe he is struggling to grasp the tactical elements of what Maresca wants or his profile doesn’t quite fit what the Manager wants or expects in that position. 

Whilst I may not agree with Maresca, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that whatever team he selects on Sunday will be the one best suited to get the job done and win the game. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

The third poster... Again, it's a question, and a valid one. Is he a flexible manager who adapts to his options, or does the style of play come first? I think his comments and actions could be interpreted either way, but from what I've seen - and what I've heard from some players - there's certainly a chance that he's prioritised shape and style of play. Maybe that'll turn out to be the right thing to have done as well.

He had three games in which to try and instill into the squad the way he's prefer to play. If he'd have tried Plan A in the first game, Plan B in the second and Plan C in the third just how much progress do you think the squad would have made?

6 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

It's a ridiculous philosophy. Bin off the best defenders because they aren't flash. Defenders are there to defend at the end of the day. This is why I think Enzo will fall flat on his face and be gone by November. 

we need the big physical men. SUPER SOUTTAR

I think everyone needs to chill a bit. He was specifically asked about Souttar. We’ve no idea what he’s thinking. I think with Smith not playing him, he knew he had a player in Cags with a point to prove so went with him, and it worked (in terms of an individual performance). Faes had played a lot of games and maybe seemed like less of a risk. 

i think it’s fair to suggest the likes of Vesty, Castagne, Daka, Mcateer all have had minutes over the likes of JJ and Souttar is because Enzo is not sure on them and wants to get a better view. 

Guest Mee-9
6 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

We literally parked the bus, it was the ideal tactical set up for him to excel. When we play with a high line he has struggled and on quite a few occasions was at fault with his positioning which directly or indirectly led to us conceding. 

I would personally prefer him over Vesty but I ain’t Maresca and I haven’t seen Souttar in training, maybe he is struggling to grasp the tactical elements of what Maresca wants or his profile doesn’t quite fit what the Manager wants or expects in that position. 

Whilst I may not agree with Maresca, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that whatever team he selects on Sunday will be the one best suited to get the job done and win the game. 

Maresca's been here a matter of weeks. 

Implementing what he wants to do here will take years, and lets face it he probably won't get that. 

Maybe I'm a cynic but I see an inexperienced manager with no clue about the Championship, trying to play like Man City when we need to just defend well and score goals. It's that simple. Keep it tight and you'll go up with the strikers at our disposal. 

Just now, Mee-9 said:

Maresca's been here a matter of weeks. 

Implementing what he wants to do here will take years, and lets face it he probably won't get that. 

Maybe I'm a cynic but I see an inexperienced manager with no clue about the Championship, trying to play like Man City when we need to just defend well and score goals. It's that simple. Keep it tight and you'll go up with the strikers at our disposal. 

Well let’s feck Maresca off then, clearly he is clueless and appoint you as you seem to have cracked the formula for what’s needed to get out the championship. You may well be right in your long term assessment of Maresca but I literally cannot believe what I am reading when we haven’t even kicked a ball in anger yet 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

What a ridiculous post - bin off the best defenders because they are not great on the ball in a team that will have 70% possession and has employed a manager that wants to build a team that can survive in the prem playing football against the best - this is a process that the board have decided to continue building upon as although BR was damaged at the end the philosophy since winning the league has been to build a structure around a process to compete at the top of the game - Souttar will not fit the managers plan and hence he will not be used - end of so get over it and let us trust the process - I would much rather have clarity in direction and have players that are round pegs in round holes.

Vestegaard may not have performed under BR and will possibly move on but he is a better organiser and footballer with his feet in a possession game - also maybe the manager has given JR the list to move on and its not happened yet - we need to trust the process.

Personally I could not give a damn if they sold every player except a JV and Marc A as we need some winning influence but some of the posts on here are laughable...........they appointed Enzo for one reason he has worked with the best who win by playing the right way - if he can use our resources to its maximum we have proved we can compete over the past 7 years but the road is a long one but short term decisions will not build the future so get ready for a bumpy ride!

• Like 1