Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Yunus Akgün

22 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Looking forward immensely to watching all of his 24 appearances in a Leicester shirt.

Absolutely I am certain Cengiz was on something similar as though he generally wasn't very good but not the worst, he vanished back end of the season.

24 games gives us plenty of time to make a decision.

By the way is that a start or any appearance?

Also which side does he play on??  And if he is in and we have Mavididi, why are we after Jesurun Rak-Sakyi as well?

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

I hear he thrived in a counter attacking system in 21-22 but massively struggled against low blocks for Galatasaray. Currently we are a heavily possession based team facing low blocks most weeks.

Do you think Akgun has what it takes to play in such a system or have we targetted the wrong profile of player?

Almost every Gala fan I've read has said a different version of the same thing. 

Akgün's biggest problem was meeting the expectation of being The Next Big Thing at his boyhood club, who are the absolute behemoth of Turkish football. The fandom and the spotlight in Turkey is massive and the pressure has gotten to him. 

I dont think style of play will be the biggest change for him, it'll be being able to come over here as a relative unknown and get a fresh start. 

• Like 1

Just now, The boy Linacre said:

Absolutely I am certain Cengiz was on something similar as though he generally wasn't very good but not the worst, he vanished back end of the season.

24 games gives us plenty of time to make a decision.

By the way is that a start or any appearance?

Also which side does he play on??  And if he is in and we have Mavididi, why are we after Jesurun Rak-Sakyi as well?

He will play on the right primarily.

Presumably we are after another wide man (Issahaku / Rak Sakyi) for quality depth. Not sure we want to go a 46 game season with Marcal / McAteer as the first change wide option.

Would you put it past us to not realise he's already played 24 games for us and he comes on as a sub for 4 minutes? Meaning we spend £10m on a player with 9 Championship starts, 16 sub appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

the low blocks in the champo aren't as good as the ones that he will have come up against for Gala and in the champions league.

Marcal and McAteer had SO much space against cov and cardiff it's not even funny, they just couldn't do enough against the full backs, given their relative level of experience/pace/ease in the right wing positon (which is not to say they played badly). I think the plan is to keep Mavididi and Akgun as wide as poss just like we have been doing up to now and give them loads of chances to get us in behind - where the fact we have 2 more advanced midfielders constantly in support of the striker will give us options to cross or pull back to.

the more technical the wingers we bring in, the better Enzoball will work.

Also - managers will set their full backs up to sit more often than not, which gives licence to our hybrid back 3 - back 4....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Would you put it past us to not realise he's already played 24 games for us and he comes on as a sub for 4 minutes? Meaning we spend £10m on a player with 9 Championship starts, 16 sub appearances, 1 goal and 2 assists.

£8M

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Almost every Gala fan I've read has said a different version of the same thing. 

Akgün's biggest problem was meeting the expectation of being The Next Big Thing at his boyhood club, who are the absolute behemoth of Turkish football. The fandom and the spotlight in Turkey is massive and the pressure has gotten to him. 

I dont think style of play will be the biggest change for him, it'll be being able to come over here as a relative unknown and get a fresh start. 

I read this from a Gala fan:

"In 21/22 he played for a newly promoted team that relied heavily on counterattacks and that found lots of free space - both factors that heavily benefitted him.

Due to his weak physique and decision making he’s useless against low blocks, but both of those things can be trained."

I'm a bit worried about this signing honestly, hopefully Maresca can prove his ability to develop talent and improve his decision making.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

That is Rudkin's signature move. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, FosseSpark said:

the low blocks in the champo aren't as good as the ones that he will have come up against for Gala and in the champions league.

Marcal and McAteer had SO much space against cov and cardiff it's not even funny, they just couldn't do enough against the full backs, given their relative level of experience/pace/ease in the right wing positon (which is not to say they played badly). I think the plan is to keep Mavididi and Akgun as wide as poss just like we have been doing up to now and give them loads of chances to get us in behind - where the fact we have 2 more advanced midfielders constantly in support of the striker will give us options to cross or pull back to.

the more technical the wingers we bring in, the better Enzoball will work.

Also - managers will set their full backs up to sit more often than not, which gives licence to our hybrid back 3 - back 4....

The wide players have been in acres of space all season. We haven't exploited it fully yet for various reasons.

1) Taking the safe option when the ball is in midfield / not working the ball quickly enough to open the direct passing lane

2) Long diagonals from the centre halves (clearly encouraged in this system) have missed their target more often than not

3) Not enough individual quality from the right sided player to work an opening for themselves.

9 minutes ago, happy85 said:

TBH rudkin pulled off a good deal here

small loan fee. Gives us 25 games at him to make a decision. 

Yeah agree. If he ends up playing 25 games it should mean he's worth it, if not, bin.

Safe bet really.

I have much better hopes for Akgun under Maresca than Under under Rodgers. 

Maresca actually has a plan. Rodgers was just very stubborn. Hopefully however many games Akgun plays he performs to how he needs to and how we/Maresca want him to. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I have much better hopes for Akgun under Maresca than Under under Rodgers. 

Maresca actually has a plan. Rodgers was just very stubborn. Hopefully however many games Akgun plays he performs to how he needs to and how we/Maresca want him to. 

Someone (might even have been you?) was making the point the other day that Rodgers didn't really want his players dribbling. It was one, two touch most and pass was supposed to be the plan. 

Maresca already has shown he likes his players to carry it. Wingers beating their man 1 V 1, midfielders surging through the park - even Winks off the leash to go charging up the middle. 

Think Tete and Under would both have really thrived with Maresca which is a little sad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1