Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Taylor Harwood-Bellis

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well okay, sure, but then so do Manuel Akanji and Nathan Ake and if you had to describe them both in simplified terms what position would you assign to them?

Look, like I said, people really need to get over this this hyper fixation on "positions." Maresca's vision is obviously a lot more fluid than people are used to, especially in our defensive third of the pitch. But the skill set we want from Doyle's position is clearly one of what is typically considered a centre back who is good with his feet. It's not like we want, need or expect Doyle to be bombing down the wing making overlapping runs and whipping in crosses is it?

They are CB's but like Doyle, they do more than what a CB is doing. Souttar or Coady are CB's but they couldn't do what Doyle is doing. 

That's why I said earlier on this thread that I'd prefer Jacob Greaves over THB because he's a CB too and give us what THB could but he can also give us what Doyle does.

A lot of what he's asked to do will fall under what a CB is asked to do but he will also be asked to do things defensively that are traditionally asked of FB's like coveringing the back stick and getting out to prevent crosses from wide and most of these things will be asked of him when we are in defensive situations.

Squad is being overhauled to go from an ageing squad to one that has 5 years of development, out go Bertrand, Evans, Ward, Albrighton and ultimately Vardy in comes Mads  Doyle, Macateer, KDH, Mavadidi, the new Winger, not sure we are playing that well to win every game but it is both promising and interesting…..

14 minutes ago, frany104 said:

Would be a real coup to get him in permanently. if we can get Doyle on a perm too we’ve got a young back like with real quality and potential there. 

Would like to think we do if promoted, I know it’s the THB thread ( who I really hope we sign on a perm also) but as Doyle being talked about he is essential to how we play.

He has the most passes into the oppo box than anyone else in the team and he also has the most interceptions and tackles of anyone in the team, it’s a must if we are promoted or even if we have the chance in January.

Edited by BKLFox

26 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Would like to think we do if promoted, I know it’s the THB thread ( who I really hope we sign on a perm also) but as Doyle being talked about he is essential to how we play.

He has the most passes into the oppo box than anyone else in the team and he also has the most interceptions and tackles of anyone in the team, it’s a must if we are promoted or even if we have the chance in January.

I'm sure the transfer details specified there was no option to buy and if so you can see why. Pep knows a Stones replacement when he sees one.

Think THB is going to be one of those last minute jobs when other business has gone through.

12 minutes ago, iancognito said:

I'm sure the transfer details specified there was no option to buy and if so you can see why. Pep knows a Stones replacement when he sees one.

Think THB is going to be one of those last minute jobs when other business has gone through.

I did think we had both an option of loan or buy this summer but the clauses or cost were a little off for us, either way hopefully something can be done next summer. 

3 hours ago, Merchant_Banker said:

I am not sure what THB gains from another season with a promotion chasing Championship team given his time at Burnley. If he wants to progress he should be looking for a Prem loan. Unless he is looking for a permanent move to a team he expects to be in the Premier League 

Would you rather join a low/mid table prem team this year that is uninspiring, or a team that will be prem next year that has a proven track record of competing with the big 6 and winning trophies left and right. 

• Haha 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
1 minute ago, Drink Water said:

Would you rather join a low/mid table prem team this year that is uninspiring, or a team that will be prem next year that has a proven track record of competing with the big 6 and winning trophies left and right. 

If you take off your fox shaped tinted glasses you'd see very clearly that virtually any footballer would opt for the prem. There is no guarantee we get promoted or become successful again in the event we do. Play for a low end prem team and do a good job and you get yourself a bigger move and are set for life. You'd be crazy to drop down if there are serious options and likely game time.

6 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

If you take off your fox shaped tinted glasses you'd see very clearly that virtually any footballer would opt for the prem. There is no guarantee we get promoted or become successful again in the event we do. Play for a low end prem team and do a good job and you get yourself a bigger move and are set for life. You'd be crazy to drop down if there are serious options and likely game time.

I guess you are probably correct, particularly if you are young, but both Coady and Winks could have secured moves to a Premier League club, but opted for us.

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

I guess you are probably correct, particularly if you are young, but both Coady and Winks could have secured moves to a Premier League club, but opted for us.

Both on the way down rather than up.

Coady is in his thirties - contract length probably swung that.

Winks - less clear who was in for him, what contract offered, game time promises etc

For a young player is a no brainer though

6 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

There is no guarantee we get promoted or become successful again in the event we do. Play for a low end prem team and do a good job and you get yourself a bigger move and are set for life. You'd be crazy to drop down if there are serious options and likely game time.

I agree, there is obviously no guarantee. The same can be said with the ROI on an investment in a promising equity that has dropped in value recently, but is very likely to appreciate with time. Another point, a footballer would not look at a future career move to be constrained within a 1 year trajectory. That would be quite irrational, planning further down the line ensures not only employment security, but also an income for themselves. 

1 minute ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Both on the way down rather than up.

Coady is in his thirties - contract length probably swung that.

Winks - less clear who was in for him, what contract offered, game time promises etc

For a young player is a no brainer though

Yes I agreed with that, but you stated any player would chose the Prem over us and I was just suggesting that may not be the case by using Coady and Winks as examples.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

Yes I agreed with that, but you stated any player would chose the Prem over us and I was just suggesting that may not be the case by using Coady and Winks as examples.

I know this isn't a thread about this, but I think both these players came for the manager. His philosophy and tactics are perfect for their game. 

They've both had managers that made them shine and managers that made them look average. Maybe they think it's better to be in the heart of a team that plays to their strengths, than struggling in a prem team that makes them play differently.

Not every player is blinkered or man managed in a way to take the 1st offer handed to them just to join a Prem club.

Some will look at the bigger picture and map their way to where they ultimately want to get to.

Let me say Bellingham, he had the chance to join any of the top clubs in the premier lge at the age of 17/18 sitting down with SAF, Pep and the likes but chose Dortmund, why? 
He knows where he wants to be and he’s being managed accordingly, where he goes how long he stays etc

He could be at Man C no problem (now) but would he have played the games, done what he’s done etc if he went there instead of Dortmund?

He spent just 2yrs there and now moved to Real Madrid for over 100m and despite still only being 20 he is the linchpin and leader of 1 of the biggest clubs in world football.

Even if he sees out his contract there he will still only be 26 the start of his prime years and will be able to name his price and dictate which club he goes to.

I guess all I’m saying is not every opportunity is the right 1 for a young player, jump to soon you could damage your stock, go to the right club build up your game time and profile and you could have a pick of clubs

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Not every player is blinkered or man managed in a way to take the 1st offer handed to them just to join a Prem club.

Some will look at the bigger picture and map their way to where they ultimately want to get to.

Let me say Bellingham, he had the chance to join any of the top clubs in the premier lge at the age of 17/18 sitting down with SAF, Pep and the likes but chose Dortmund, why? 
He knows where he wants to be and he’s being managed accordingly, where he goes how long he stays etc

He could be at Man C no problem (now) but would he have played the games, done what he’s done etc if he went there instead of Dortmund?

He spent just 2yrs there and now moved to Real Madrid for over 100m and despite still only being 20 he is the linchpin and leader of 1 of the biggest clubs in world football.

Even if he sees out his contract there he will still only be 26 the start of his prime years and will be able to name his price and dictate which club he goes to.

I guess all I’m saying is not every opportunity is the right 1 for a young player, jump to soon you could damage your stock, go to the right club build up your game time and profile and you could have a pick of clubs

Apparently we enquired about Bellingham at that time as well!

• Like 2

On 28/08/2023 at 12:35, Finnegan said:

There isn't really an obvious term for what Doyle is currently doing (that I'm aware of?) Maybe something archaic from Ye Olden Days when football formations were completely alien to a generic 442.

You want to stop thinking about "positions" though and think about skillsets. Who do we have that is, crucially left footed (and people seriously keep overlooking that) who has both the physical and technical qualities of Callum Doyle? The answer is, we don't. His position is the most glaring weakness on an LCFC depth chart. Even if Justin were left footed, he doesn't have Doyle's skill set in the slightest. He's pacey, he can dribble a bit, he has a great engine but he's not got anywhere near Doyle's passing range.

Besides, Maresca has already stated quite clearly that the club are working on coaching JJ to be able to do the Ricardo role and has said he's making alright progress at it. So, no, he doesn't see him as backup to Doyle. I'm honestly not sure why people keep saying it, to be honest. Who watches Doyle playing for us this year and, of all the people, thinks "yeah JJ could do that?"

Even Maresca himself identified Kristiansen as the player most likely to step in there and now we've got rid of him to Bologna.

First he plays LB nothing special about his position. Not LCB or something "archaic"

Second JJ could do that and more,  he is more versatile,  faster,  stronger good passer and right footed but also good with his left, problem is or was his injury record. If not for  that, things will look very different for him and for leicesteras well. Doyle is very good but main reason he's picked over JJ is left footed  while JJ is right. The hype is just because hew our new shining toy and will surely soon oncehe'll make his first mistake, weird to say but Vestegard cover for him a lot, while on Faes manages quite well by himself on the right side of our defense.  He's talented for sure,  but JJ is miles ahead of, he was picked for  NT ffs. 

3 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

First he plays LB nothing special about his position. Not LCB or something "archaic"

Second JJ could do that and more,  he is more versatile,  faster,  stronger good passer and right footed but also good with his left, problem is or was his injury record. If not for  that, things will look very different for him and for leicesteras well. Doyle is very good but main reason he's picked over JJ is left footed  while JJ is right. The hype is just because hew our new shining toy and will surely soon oncehe'll make his first mistake, weird to say but Vestegard cover for him a lot, while on Faes manages quite well by himself on the right side of our defense.  He's talented for sure,  but JJ is miles ahead of, he was picked for  NT ffs. 

Alright James, I'm convinced 

20 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I suppose getting the right advice here is key and, in Bellingham's case, a very decent and supportive family behind him. I'm sure there are many decent agents out there but also one's that just see the money, particularly for themselves. 

15 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

I'm genuinely curious as to wether or not you actually watch our games? Let me be clear here, I'm not asking this to belittle or mock you, I just don't see how someone could have watched our games this season and landed on the conclusion that Doyle has been playing as a standard, run of the mill LB...

He's CLEARLY not. I mean, setting aside the fact that Enzo has himself stated that we don't play with traditional fullbacks and the FB on that left side will pull in to the LCB to create a back 3, you can clearly see it when we play. When we are on the ball, the LB is in the LCB position and the RB is in the CDM position. It's not typical of how FB's play and again, Enzo has spoke about players adjusting to those specific roles, naming VK as working on learning the Doyle role and JJ learning the Ricardo one.