Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

On 11/02/2024 at 14:29, HitchinFox said:

Secondly – I was stating facts and most certainly wasn't being ageist. If you go on City-related Facebook pages (such as Leicester Fan TV Chat) there are plenty of people there posting and moaning how we are "boring" and should be more direct, even calling for Enzo to go. When challenged, a huge proportion of the same people then mention how they have been "going for 40+ or 50+ years", which apparently means they know what they are talking about. So if anything, it is those people who are being ageist, using their older age to claim they know best (or at least better than someone younger than them). 

I don't take kindly to my words being edited. Nor being accused of being prejudiced towards anyone, or a group of people. Especially by someone who knows nothing about me. 

You're right about the misquotation. I must have deleted part of your comment while trying to make mine. I apologise for this.

Secondly, you weren't quoting "facts" - only an opinion - gleaned from imprecise and unstatistical web roaming. Sure, there are plenty of 'codgers' out there in la-la-Leicester land convinced that they the football they witnessed in their youth was 'better' and, in very limited ways, it was.

However, opinion, unbacked by solid fact, has to take a back seat to the obvious.

There are also many younger posters on here who allow their prejudices and emotions to outweigh logic.

No, I know nothing about you other than what you opined. But, if you're that sensitive to perceived slights, then maybe this forum is too robust for you.

Being "ageist" would put you in one of the larger categories of the prejudiced in the country. However, if you believe your comments were justified then who am I to disagree?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2024 at 10:56, fuchsntf said:

I am old degenerate ,dream of a bygone age and comedy sketches

Not to mention a far superior Annie Walker & Ena Sharples Coronation street,

which I also hated but just not so much.

Enjoyed Baileys NC,fusion freewheeler,Grannies, 7 hills get together,knocking up the patron at 3 am to get a doner kebab in Mountsorrel…Cider with Rosie among the Braggie-park hills & ferns,along the babbling brooks..

or great head banging with Led zeppelin, Black sabbath,deep Purple,with this new

stereo gizmo equipment

Those white christmases, with comic book annuals pushing onto daft experiences  falling ass over elbow,trying to reach Glenfield Social & workingmans club,for a dose of Danny boy…

doing the same walking back spending last pennies upon a portion of fish n chips.

Rugby game cancelled,So a Scots, 3 Irishman,2 Englishman,could run jump on a train to see K.Wellers brigade…Then a good ol’ pub crawl,end up either at Lotus house jazz night,or a feast at one of Leicesters finest Indian restaurants.Late night early morning favourite “Kohinoor”  down Conduit street..

Then farewells to other far off climates and a **** on a world map of projects and travels. New watering holes discovered in far flung knocked up shacks or luxurious environments in the middle of deserts,jungles and Pampas. Instructing royals to beggars on modern technic,instructed from local fellows on new customs, animals,fauna,and the does and not to does..

ahh yes Summer & winter days..so long gone,but memories tucked chaotically ,

or odd ones neatly away in that cosy pocket of time…

A foxes or tigers badge left behind in gratitude…

One learns rapidly there are no

age,youth,male,female,skin pigmentation troughs to trudge…

A fan is a fan, a human is a human, free of the weight of discrimination…

To shake hands,hold hands,wave hands,

and extended hearts and arms to embrace..

So you young whipper snappers,first learn to see,learn to listen before

one creates the noise of opinion…

Though some deaf old gits,should welcome and open their ears

to the new vibrations of youths Opinions,through all generations,

each individual has something to say and is there to be seen..

Ah, thou hast indeed lived the life of an adventurer and free spirit - and express your experiences with the 'pen' of a poet. I doff my cap to you.

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2024 at 18:34, Lionator said:

Drury is a horrible try hard. Give me a Barry Davies or even an early day Tyler anyday, let the football do the talking. 

Half of his 'iconic' monologues don't even make sense.

1 minute ago, Rain King said:

Give me Alan Parry's Wembley Play-Off commentaries any day of the week.

Drury and all modern commentators for that matter are terrible, all looking for some iconic moment rather than commentating naturally.

I think for those of us of a certain age those commentaries are seared into our memory. "That could be....."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Hubris. They thought little old Leicester would rollover from there on in.

I was standing near to 2 Arsenal fans on a train coming back from that match.

And they were both in total agreement how they just knew we were going to blow it. 

I wish I'd said something to them ......................

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I was standing near to 2 Arsenal fans on a train coming back from that match.

And they were both in total agreement how they just knew we were going to blow it. 

I wish I'd said something to them ......................

You can reflect with quiet satisfaction 

Like many, up until recently I was saying how much I hated the way we play, however conceding that it was highly effective. To me though it seems that in the last 3-4 games we have slightly modified our style of play. I now watch with interest seeing our build play, the way we slowly push and build up to creating our chances. Some of our build up play has been sublime.

I am an old "duffer" who's followed City over 50+ years. Have never booed them even when we were awful under Pleat or Taylor.

Must admit I am now into Enzo ball and enjoying games once again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The upturn in form and style coincides with the return of Fatawu. Gives another bow to our style when you have two wingers what are so utterly dangerous that teams can’t prey on Winks and Ricardo so much 

Absolutely this.  Stability through the centre and chaos on the wings.  

26 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Like many, up until recently I was saying how much I hated the way we play, however conceding that it was highly effective. To me though it seems that in the last 3-4 games we have slightly modified our style of play. I now watch with interest seeing our build play, the way we slowly push and build up to creating our chances. Some of our build up play has been sublime.

You've (possibly inadvertently) hit the nail on the head here.

"Watch with interest ... the way we slowly push and build up" is absolutely fine, in the way I might appreciate a chess match ... slowly tricking the opponent into a checkmate.   It's the sort of situation where you sit back in your chair, nod in gentle appreciation at the fine skills you are witnessing.

It may be interesting.  But it's not exciting.   It doesn't have enough tempo and general umph to get you leaping out of your seat or shouting encouragement.   Which is one of the reasons why the atmosphere over the last 3 seasons has fallen off a cliff.   And if it wasn't for the efforts of Union FS, would be absolutely dire.

Just for clarity though, I'm not knocking Enzo.   It's the latest modern fashion on how football should be played.   It it what it is, and I'll support the team unreservedly.

• Like 2