Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

Just now, AmyLGK said:

To be fair, we'd be saying the same of King Power had it been a home game 😢

I’m glad we gave a good impression! The travelling fans sounded brilliant on the tv last night, so fair play to them. They don’t need to know that, you can usually hear a pin drop at the KP :scarf:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AmyLGK said:

To be fair, we'd be saying the same of King Power had it been a home game 😢

Yeah home cup games are absolutely rank, apart from the big ones.

I'd love to know what percentage of STHs don't bother because it seems like almost a brand new crowd.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marti-cifuentes-explains-qpr-masterplan-9138578?fbclid=IwAR0mho-b7eYuTwvcUDkJv2vBo3hXZ9rNYvmlzJgAIlPyoR4ZIU35uYGtl4E

Marti Cifuentes explains QPR masterplan that upset Leicester City
Leicester City's lead at the top of the Championship has been eroded as the Foxes slipped a third successive loss, this time against Queens Park Rangers at the King Power Stadium

ByBrian Dick
18:49, 2 MAR 2024

Marti Cifuentes is confident Leicester City will still win a return to the Premier League, even after his Queens Park Rangers team put another dent in their promotion bandwagon.

A goal in each half from Ilias Chair and Sinclair Armstrong saw the relegation threatened visitors open up a 2-0 lead and create a platform that would enable them to go on and close out a 2-1 victory.

It was the Foxes third consecutive Championship defeat, and results elsewhere saw their lead at the top of the table cut to three points. They do, however, remain five points clear of third-placed Leeds with 11 games to play.

QPR had only 26 per cent possession and scored with their only two shots on target – but Cifuentes was proud of the display and revealed the secret behind his team’s success.

“I am very happy for the players because they had to work really hard in such a demanding game,” the QPR head coach said. “We are in a difficult situation still there is a lot of work to be done but I think we deserved this small victory and step in the right direction.

“We had to adapt to the game scenario, obviously we would prefer to have the ball more, be high up the pitch, try to counter-press but that’s a Premier League side in my opinion.

“I am sure they will go up and I am sure that they have top, top quality, it is not easy to play against them because they are so smart the way they play. When you want to try and be more aggressive on the pressure they easily find third men, they find their combinations to break lines.

“It was very important to have the discipline for the 95 minutes we played, keep the focus, be smart when was the right moment to press them well but also be sharp in the box and I think we did. The opportunities we had with the first goal and second goal as well it was because the team had the sharpness required to win a game like this.”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

image.png.74f3248d70583f7209a1d1cc47f438a6.png

Not the simplest bits of fact checking by the BBC we had 4 losing streaks all worse under Rodgers, last season 

image.png.8ae13f100d80b98f51eb801ecb8294ef.png

3 under Rodgers, one of those was Rodgers (1 game), Adam Sandler + Stowell (2) and Smith (1)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Not the simplest bits of fact checking by the BBC we had 4 losing streaks all worse under Rodgers, last season 

It's quite worrying how similar we are right now to how we played in that stretch from Southampton to Bournemouth where we were never really outplayed yet never looked like winning a game or being ruthless in a match.

Such a soft underbelly to this squad. Ipswich and Leeds have - time and again - been in bad situations in games this season yet they always look like they're going to come through it.

The moment the second goal went in at the weekend it was game over. Am I right in saying we only had two shots on target after that? Those being the freekick that Begovic saved and that Nelson finished off?

It's always "It'll be fine" from literally everyone at the club with absolutely nobody willing to stand up and make sure it will be. That's fans, players, staff and the board.

Looking forward to being 2-0 down at home to Blackburn in May and people making out that it's good because we're resting players for our Play off games against Hull who will have done the double over us. It'll be fine.

On 04/03/2024 at 12:55, Les-TA-Jon said:

In fairness to Pipes I think he's completely erased last season from his memory, like me. Games, stats, streaks, goals. Everything. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

On 04/03/2024 at 13:42, AKCJ said:

It's quite worrying how similar we are right now to how we played in that stretch from Southampton to Bournemouth where we were never really outplayed yet never looked like winning a game or being ruthless in a match.

Such a soft underbelly to this squad. Ipswich and Leeds have - time and again - been in bad situations in games this season yet they always look like they're going to come through it.

The moment the second goal went in at the weekend it was game over. Am I right in saying we only had two shots on target after that? Those being the freekick that Begovic saved and that Nelson finished off?

It's always "It'll be fine" from literally everyone at the club with absolutely nobody willing to stand up and make sure it will be. That's fans, players, staff and the board.

Looking forward to being 2-0 down at home to Blackburn in May and people making out that it's good because we're resting players for our Play off games against Hull who will have done the double over us. It'll be fine.

There's an absolute boatload of comments in the post match thread saying we need to be better.

Also, what are you suggesting fans should be doing to tackle this squad's soft underbelly?

• Like 3

On 04/03/2024 at 13:42, AKCJ said:

That's weird, I thought you were a Leicester City supporter.

• Like 3

On 07/11/2023 at 10:29, Finnegan said:

Certainly nobody is going to outplay us this year. 

There's essentially two ways a team can realistically beat us at this level and both involve a massive amount of effort. 

You either do what Hull did, park the bus and try and keep us out for 90 minutes and hope we don't have the quality to break you down (this has obviously not worked for the likes of Rotherham and Bristol) or you do the opposite, you press us high up the pitch, disrupt and try to stop Winks and Co playing out (you can ask Norwich, Southampton, Sunderland and Blackburn how that worked.)

You're probably the best team in the league at the high press because, let's be honest here, like us you aren't playing with a fair hand - you've also got a significant amount of Premier League quality in the side. 

And even you only won because you got lucky from a set piece and your keeper made a wonder save, there wasn't exactly a lot in the game was there. 

We'll be fine. I appreciate this might sound like arrogance but I assure you I'm self aware enough (as most of us are) to know it just isn't fair. We made 80m selling two players alone, on top of parachute payments and the fact we already had a decent amount of Premier League quality still on the squad that was meant to be top half last year let alone just top flight. 

Nobody's pretending it's a level playing field. It'd take the biggest bottle job in this leagues history for us not to win it. 

Another factor is how weak the league is this season and last  you only have to realise  that 17 teams are weaker than the 3   who went up  and  with all the advantages it will be a real bottle job if Leicester and Leeds dont go up

To be fair to Piper he says “Three defeats in a row, I don’t even think we had that at home under Rodgers” 

Unless we had a terrible run in the decent seasons, he’s actually right. The numpties were in charge for Villa and Bournemouth, so that torrid form of 4 successive home defeats was part Rodgers, part prize winners. 

On 28/02/2024 at 09:13, Kinowe Soorie said:

I’m glad we gave a good impression! The travelling fans sounded brilliant on the tv last night, so fair play to them. They don’t need to know that, you can usually hear a pin drop at the KP :scarf:

I saw a comedy sketch recently - can’t remember who, but he was giving it to away fans who take the piss out of quiet home fans. He said it was the job of away fans to provide the noise, whilst he sat there enjoying the football in silence. 

There are four unbelievable teams streaking far away at the top hoovering up record amounts of points, and one absolute whipping boy at the bottom essentially giving up six points to everybody. Since Sky invented football in 1992, the top four of this division has never had as many points after 35 games as Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich and Southampton have now. Over the past ten seasons the amount of points required for automatic promotion has averaged out at 85.5 with 89 the highest (twice) and 81 the lowest (last season, though Sheff Utd in second did get 91). Leicester are on 81 already. Sunderland, meanwhile, have the lowest points total (47) for a team sitting tenth at this stage.

Stolen from someone else 

On 27/02/2024 at 19:12, Lillehamring said:

Whilst i appreciate you've looked into this deeper than me, i'm afraid i'll still have to trust that the club have a plan for us not going up - given that the odds on an immediate return with a totally untested manager must have been pretty high.  If an immediate return was an absolute necessity, surely they'd have played (theoretically) safer by going for someone like farke or scott parker?

Also, since summer of 2022 they've been obsessively cautious about FFP, why would they suddenly have gambled everything on having to go straight back up, after being so parsimonious in 2022 and the recent transfer window?

I'm sure they're living on the edge and that if we don't go up, then next season we could be right back to the start, that we may even end up down for a few years.  But predicting economic doom seems a little excessive.

A clock is right twice a day