Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dynamark

Words you never heard at football.

4 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Slightly flipping the OP, apologies....but can't remember the last time I heard... 'sweeper' 🤔

This is a result of the “sweeper keeper “,  there’s no need now to have a centre back sitting deep when the keeper does it for him so teams can play - other new phrase - “a high line”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Calling players the likes of CR7 of initialising their full name. Ronaldo was only ever R9 retrospectively.

This needs eradicating.

It's a proper teenage thing so that they can gush over players rather than follow their clubs. Ought to be viewed as a lesser perversion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Langston said:

Not really the same but does anyone ever hear the word brandish outside of a footballing context? I don't think anyone has ever brandished anything other than a referee.

Same with totting up process.

Leicester scored on their opponents and it tied the game - a favourite of @foxile5 :ph34r:

Player Of The Match also pisses me off for some reason - probably because it was just randomly inserted into Sky's coverage without any comment or fanfare "because equality" and they now act like it was always that way. Did anyone in the Women's game actually ask for a gender-neutral term for that?

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Guess where that was first popularized!

It entered the mainstream through Rodgers describing Steve Gerrard's role.

I thought it wasn't possible to dislike that little tosser any more than I already did, but there you go