Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dynamark

Words you never heard at football.

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Guess where that was first popularized!

It entered the mainstream through Rodgers describing Steve Gerrard's role.

Wasn't it actually used back when full backs were so called because they were fully back in the WM formation (i.e. the defenders) and centre halves were central players halfway up the pitch (i.e. the midfielders)?
Then you had half backs who were somewhere between a centre half and a full back (i.e. the defensive midfielders)
And I swear I've heard quarter backs being used at some point to describe a role in those systems, can't remember if it was more advanced or deeper than the half back though

Edited by lfu

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

This needs eradicating.

It's a proper teenage thing so that they can gush over players rather than follow their clubs. Ought to be viewed as a lesser perversion.

I think it’s more of a non European thing than an age thing. Fans in Africa and Asia and to some extent North America seem to support players more than teams and have no problems switching allegiances as their favourite player does.

8 hours ago, Langston said:

Not really the same but does anyone ever hear the word brandish outside of a footballing context? I don't think anyone has ever brandished anything other than a referee.

Yeah.

A sword.

A torch.

A badge of authority.

Seriously, I'm just well read.