Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filthyfox

Possible new business

Hi,

I've been thinking for a while now that I want to start a very small scale business.

Below is a sample product.  A lapis lazuli and alabaster necklace with hand crafted glass pendant.

I wonder if you honest, hard working chaps and chaperones could tell me how much you would pay for something like this.

...forgot to say that I designed and made the stone pattern.

20240105_102518.jpg

Edited by filthyfox

37 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Have you given any thought to the packaging?. I believe it can make all the difference 

A small, black organza bag with a label detailing the properties of the stones used was the idea....   I said ORGANZA!

• Like 1

Due to unscrupulous internet businesses, it’s hard for people to understand they will get a good quality long lasting item that  they have only seen a photo of ( online purchase). It also makes it hard for us to give a serious estimate when all we have seen is a photo- we HAVE to take your word for it that it’s a good quality item. No offense intended.

i think you could get more than $40 if sold at the right place.  Like a craft fair. Somewhere where people can pick it up, hold it, feel the weight and authentic nature of the beads..

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

Due to unscrupulous internet businesses, it’s hard for people to understand they will get a good quality long lasting item that  they have only seen a photo of ( online purchase). It also makes it hard for us to give a serious estimate when all we have seen is a photo- we HAVE to take your word for it that it’s a good quality item. No offense intended.

i think you could get more than $40 if sold at the right place.  Like a craft fair. Somewhere where people can pick it up, hold it, feel the weight and authentic nature of the beads..

I think this is a really good idea. Make a few of them, set a price you’d like/need in our own mind, then try to flog them at something like a craft fair to see whether there’s interest at that price.

• Like 2

If you were in a nice gift shop in St Ives or similar, you would probably Pay GBP 60-80.  On a market stall, half that or a bit less, in a craft fair somewhere in the middle.  You probably make the same profit in each place with others taking their cut, cost of a stand in the craft fair etc.  People I know with side hustles like this do well at low-cost Christmas gifts fairs and summer markets etc.  i.e. you find somewhere they are raising a few quid for the school or club, or where the market is there to bring footfall into an area to get people into cafes etc.  Then the stall costs you very little and you are into break even quickly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MPH said:

Craft fair was the idea.  I have deliberately left out details of my plans to see what "comes out in the wash" ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

If you were in a nice gift shop in St Ives or similar, you would probably Pay GBP 60-80.  On a market stall, half that or a bit less, in a craft fair somewhere in the middle.  You probably make the same profit in each place with others taking their cut, cost of a stand in the craft fair etc.  People I know with side hustles like this do well at low-cost Christmas gifts fairs and summer markets etc.  i.e. you find somewhere they are raising a few quid for the school or club, or where the market is there to bring footfall into an area to get people into cafes etc.  Then the stall costs you very little and you are into break even quickly.

Another option may be to target gift shops in convenient areas (St Ives a bit far, maybe Lincoln, Cambridge or Stratford on Avon?) and try and offer your goods as consignment stock ie if they sell they pay you the agreed wholesale, otherwise you can retrieve at a later date. Make it easy and risk-free for the retailer, and if it's an attractive product you may stand a chance of the shop stocking it. All depends on how many you can produce, and how confident you are these will sell. Best of luck, will take a lot of work to sell/get a marketplace.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Hi,

I've been thinking for a while now that I want to start a very small scale business.

Below is a sample product.  A lapis lazuli and alabaster necklace with hand crafted glass pendant.

I wonder if you honest, hard working chaps and chaperones could tell me how much you would pay for something like this.

...forgot to say that I designed and made the stone pattern.

20240105_102518.jpg

I'd definitely wear that, it's lovely. If customers could potentially choose the design on the heart it would be even better, I'd love one which incorporated the Indalo symbol, but that would depend how you plan to sell them I guess.

If you do set up a selling platform and would consider posting to the EU let me know :thumbup:

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'd definitely wear that, it's lovely. If customers could potentially choose the design on the heart it would be even better, I'd love one which incorporated the Indalo symbol, but that would depend how you plan to sell them I guess.

If you do set up a selling platform and would consider posting to the EU let me know :thumbup:

Thanks Deb!  I'm so glad you took the time to post, as you are, sorr of my target audience.

I will see what I can do about indalo man.  I know some glass workers, so it may actually be quite easy to get hold of.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Very interesting history behind this symbol, years ago I went to Mojácar and remember seeing it everywhere. Memory faded but seem to remember a cave/castle... You obviously know this already so sorry for off topic :D.

To the op, these are really nice and apparently on point at the moment (wife/daughters tell me) so should sell well regardless of platform. Lots of cheap stuff around though so marketing should impress on the quality and materials involved. My daughter says she would buy one!!

Edited by jgtuk
spelling
  • Like 1