Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Stefano Sensi

Wow, this is a properly good player! The Harry Winks comparison is spot on, this is a player that might not be first team but is a valuable squad player for a TOP club, which he is already at in Inter.

Interestingly, I was going to say that although he's very good, he is not an attacking number 8. He scores about 3-4 goals a season, whereas you'd be looking at 5-10 for a promising attacking midfielder that we could develop. But as @Lcfcokay points out, this is 100% a player that could cover for Winks, and that is a position we 100% need if not this season, then definitely next season. He could also play box to box, but is not proven in that role IMO.

This is a player that is VERY comfortable on the ball. One of those that always looks like they have time and space, even when surrounded by other players, just like Harry Winks. Football Manager stats should be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think these are quite accurate for the type of player he is:

https://fminside.net/players/3-fm-23/43109319-stefano-sensi

This would be a BIG yes from me. It should be noted he's 28 years old, so forget about resale value. But for me in that specific position, you need someone who is PROVEN. You are receiving the ball under pressure all the time. Taking a chance on a young player is a big risk in that position because if they have a lack of confidence, the entire team will suffer.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

Stefano Sensi isn’t really a defensive midfielder, he likes to drive and pass the ball forward. 

Definitely an interesting one and we’ll see if Enzo has other ideas for him but I would think he’s being brought in if Praet and Soumare are in fact being sold so we can slot in a more natural player than Yunus into an advanced midfield role.

Also adds some experience, which will be useful if we’re looking to see this season through.

• Like 1

I can’t work out whether he’s an attacking or defensive midfielder, looks like a hybrid?

Either way, we are upsetting the championship bandwagon again which is lovely to see.

Get the lad in🇮🇹

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow, this is a properly good player! The Harry Winks comparison is spot on, this is a player that might not be first team but is a valuable squad player for a TOP club, which he is already at in Inter.

Interestingly, I was going to say that although he's very good, he is not an attacking number 8. He scores about 3-4 goals a season, whereas you'd be looking at 5-10 for a promising attacking midfielder that we could develop. But as @Lcfcokay points out, this is 100% a player that could cover for Winks, and that is a position we 100% need if not this season, then definitely next season. He could also play box to box, but is not proven in that role IMO.

This is a player that is VERY comfortable on the ball. One of those that always looks like they have time and space, even when surrounded by other players, just like Harry Winks. Football Manager stats should be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think these are quite accurate for the type of player he is:

https://fminside.net/players/3-fm-23/43109319-stefano-sensi

This would be a BIG yes from me. It should be noted he's 28 years old, so forget about resale value. But for me in that specific position, you need someone who is PROVEN. You are receiving the ball under pressure all the time. Taking a chance on a young player is a big risk in that position because if they have a lack of confidence, the entire team will suffer.

Injuries and loan spells seem to have changed his game from what I'd class as a Tielemans type creative midfielder that in his early 20's found himself in more advanced positions and often won the ball up high (huge part of our play) to dropping deeper in the metronome type role, which combines being defensively efficient but more about receiving the ball on the half turn from defence and making things happen.

He'd certainly help us get through to the end of the season without Ndidi, whether that's him play the 8 role or Winks/Casadei/Ricardo do it and Sensi then drops in one of their positions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Injuries and loan spells seem to have changed his game from what I'd class as a Tielemans type creative midfielder that in his early 20's found himself in more advanced positions and often won the ball up high (huge part of our play) to dropping deeper in the metronome type role, which combines being defensively efficient but more about receiving the ball on the half turn from defence and making things happen.

He'd certainly help us get through to the end of the season without Ndidi, whether that's him play the 8 role or Winks/Casadei/Ricardo do it and Sensi then drops in one of their positions.

Yep quite right and for me that makes him an even better fit.

I guess my point is that for as good as I think he is, I don't see him and an 8 in our system in the Premier League because of the physicality needed. If we were talking about him when he first moved to Inter, that would be a different story! In the Championship though... yeah definitely, he's way too good for this level.

The modern game requires squad depth. This is a player that is more than good enough to start, and offers some versatility too. Additionally, he has great set piece delivery and experience at a top club that is used to winning big trophies. What more can you ask for!

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Wow, not a category of player I thought it would be possible to attract to a second tier club… would be impressive to pull this off

We’re basically a part time prem team playing in the 2nd tier for 6 months at this point 

To be fair, if you looked at Ricardo's age and injury record, you'd probably steer well clear of him too, on paper. Yet Riccy has been brilliant for us this season.

If the fee is low due to is contract running out, surely that's a gamble worth taking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGoldenGod said:

@Ric Flair You seen his injury record? Seagrave would kill him off!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stefano-sensi/verletzungen/spieler/216179

Oooof, this is pretty bad I must say.

2 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Late 20's with a terrible injury record.

What's not to like!

Yeah it has "being stuck with another player on high wages that barely plays / gets loaned back to Italy but we pay 50% of their wages" all over it.

Depends on the price though. If Soumare cost 24M and this guy cost 10M, it would put things into perspective. Soumare I think was on high wages too, so they might not be too different in that regard.