Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Should There Be Play-offs in the Football League?

Definitely. Playoffs for league titles are a nonsense, or what you get in the Belgian League for example but with promotion, you're basically rewarding the top 2 for being much better than the league as a whole and then the other 4 are given a second bite at the cherry whilst also doing a good commercial service to the league.

• Like 2

As a PS addition then even though it doesn't affect us then I do think the relegation and promotion between the Conference/National League and the fourth tier has to be looked at again and perhaps only promote one in exchange for one demotion from the football league fourth tier. Having a revolving "two up, two down" policy/ruling  between the two leagues has since resulted in many clubs since going to the wall once demoted to the non league scene in so far as having to regroup and start again from scratch as a newly formed club ie Newport County, Stockport, Chester, Darlington and so on - while I think Rushden and Diamonds disappeared altogether without trace and never reformed or anything! Then you have once well established ex league clubs like Southend and others who have also been threatened with disapppearing in recent times via liquidation means.... 

What about changing the format so that the 3rd place team get a play off final spot and the 4 teams below go through the play offs for a place in the final.

So something like...

1. Champions.

2. Automatic Promotion.

3. Play off Final.

4. Play off Quarter Final at home.

5. Play off Quarter Final at home.

6. Play off Quarter Final away.

7. Play off Quarter Final away.

Maybe the semi-finals should be held at the ground that finished higher? So 4th guarantees home ties for the quarter and semi finals and 7th guarantees away ties for those games?

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

What about changing the format so that the 3rd place team get a play off final spot and the 4 teams below go through the play offs for a place in the final.

So something like...

1. Champions.

2. Automatic Promotion.

3. Play off Final.

Maybe the semi-finals should be held at the ground that finished higher? So 4th guarantees home ties for the quarter and semi finals and 7th guarantees away ties for those games?

I'd want to expand it further than this, but in a similar way... 3rd and 4th Play Off semi.  5 - 8 Play off QF.

Anyone in the top half have something to play for right to the end.

Guest leatherhead32

we could do it like scotland and afterwards lets make square wheels , turn  the clocks fwd and back every sunday and make deal or no deal a 3 hour show with prison sentences for anyone found not watching it without a very good reason.:facepalm:

I am actually surprised it’s never been attempted or spoke about happening at Premier League level. With all the American and global owners, look at most other major sports around the world, there’s a playoff systems to decided the ultimate champion and it’s worth billions in sponsorship and tv deals. 
I’m certainly not advocating for it at that level and I love that the Champions are the best team over the whole season, but from a financial and excitement point of view im surprised it’s never really been discussed.

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

So something like...

1. Champions.

2. Automatic Promotion.

3. Play off Final.

This is similar to what they do in the national league isn’t it? Possibly the team in second doesn’t go straight to the final. Something like 2nd and 3rd go to the semi final and 4th-7th play quarter finals first. Makes sense as it still gives the higher up sides a priority whilst giving other sides a chance.

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

So something like...

1. Champions.

2. Automatic Promotion.

3. Play off Final.

Problem with that is the 3rd place team has no game until the final, whereas the 4-7 teams play 2 games to keep fresh.

I don't agree with the playoffs in how they work as such.  The advantages should absolutely be given for the teams higher up.  They have a much better system in non league for playoffs.  This is how it should be:

Finish 3rd -straight to Wembley

Finish 4th - one legged home tie against 7th

Finish 5th - one legged home tie against 6th

Highest place winner of the two semis in one legged home tied against the other winner.

Then Wembley for the last game.  It still means no more than 3 games for promotion same as it is now but it makes it easier to be promoted from 3rd as it does for 7th.

For example if you finished 7th you'd have to win two away games then win at Wembley to get promoted, which is a really tough ask.  But that's how it should be if you finish 7th. 

• Like 1

I’d keep them for sure. 

It might well seem a tad unfair that come the end of the season the team in 3rd could have 25pts on the team they’ll play in 6th. 

But that’s the way it is. 

Should we mess it all up, we can only blame ourselves. 

• Like 1

They add drama to the situation and keep the season alive for so many clubs. They are a real lottery. 

If you look at all of the winners of the Championship version since in its current format since 1989, the promoted team has finished:

3rd - 13 times - 40%

4th - 8 times - 24%

5th - 8 times - 24% 

6th - 4 times - 12% 

Our own history is painful really, those early years were my first ever trips to Wembley. 

1992 - We finished 4th, lost to Blackburn in the final, who finished 6th.

1993 - We finished 6th, lost to Swindon in the final, who finished 5th.

1994 - We finished 4th, we beat Derby who finished 6th. 

1996 - We finished 5th, we beat Crystal Palace who finished 4th.

2010 - We finished 5th and lost to Cardiff in the semis. 

2013 - We finished 6th and lost to Watford in the semis.

You know what’s coming if you don’t make the top two. 

• Like 1

Of course. I remember how much our attendances would drop once we had nothing to pay for in April May time in the Championship, without the playoffs that would’ve happened in December. Think about all those League One and Two teams who have to manage their finances game to game. It’s so much better now than it used to be without the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

They add drama to the situation and keep the season alive for so many clubs. They are a real lottery. 

If you look at all of the winners of the Championship version since in its current format since 1989, the promoted team has finished:

3rd - 13 times - 40%

4th - 8 times - 24%

5th - 8 times - 24% 

6th - 4 times - 12% 

Our own history is painful really, those early years were my first ever trips to Wembley. 

1992 - We finished 4th, lost to Blackburn in the final, who finished 6th.

1993 - We finished 6th, lost to Swindon in the final, who finished 5th.

1994 - We finished 4th, we beat Derby who finished 6th. 

1996 - We finished 5th, we beat Crystal Palace who finished 4th.

2010 - We finished 5th and lost to Cardiff in the semis. 

2013 - We finished 6th and lost to Watford in the semis.

You know what’s coming if you don’t make the top two. 

Hmm, there’s a pattern there…

LLWWLL…..W?

Imo, play-offs should only happen if there's a gap of less than 10 points between the 3rd. and 4th. placed clubs.

Btw, if it's logical to have play-offs for promotion, why not also have them for relegation? Maybe we'd have survived in the PL last season if they'd been used.

21 hours ago, AKCJ said:

So something like...

1. Champions.

2. Automatic Promotion.

3. Play off Final.

I like the idea of third going straight into the final. But I'd just have fourth and fifth play each other for a place in that final, 6th and 7th should miss out.

The play-offs are great. 

I also like the German Bundesliga system where they have a play-off between 3rd from bottom side & the 3rd from top side in the division below. 2 legs, the winner gets to stay up, or promoted. 

Edited by STEVIE B

2 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

The play-offs are great. 

I also like the German Bundesliga system where they have a play-off between 3rd from bottom side & the 3rd from top side in the division below. 2 legs, the winner gets to stay up, or promoted. 

I'm sure (ok, not sure exactly, but I think I remember) third from bottom was involved in the playoffs here when they started...

• Like 1

The present system works fine in that it keeps more teams fully engaged trying to win matchs longer.  It also keeps more Fans involved which has to be good for the game.

At the bottom what might work better in extending the season so to speak is for the Bottom team relegated automatically, And the next 3 teams play off in a mini League with the winners staying up.

This would give Clubs and Fans hope for a little longer insted of having that doomed effect from March when your team are not playing well.