Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Should There Be Play-offs in the Football League?

Not saying this just because we may finish 3rd and then lose out in playoffs, but have thought about this for a while - why is it not a top 3 just go straight up? 

Why can it not be 3 up, and 3 down from PL? 

Whether it's us, Leeds or Ipswich it'd be an absolute travesty if there was a 3rd place finish and then somehow still didn't get promoted. Especially considering there could be a 20pt gap between 3rd and 6th. 

If there was a vote for keeping playoffs or changing it to a top 3 only, which way would you go? 

Yes.

It makes it more interesting and is proportionate as we arent talking about a play off for the league title or something.

Everyone knows what they signed up to at the start of the season.

• Like 1

Would kill the league in terms of teams having something to play for were there to be no play offs. There would just be a load of teams kicking around with nothing realistically to achieve.

• Like 2

Top 3 should be the rule but like others said give others a chance to go up, something to fight for and well £'s.

Also, the top 3 likely are clubs with more resources from epl so might be hard to crack the top 3 ( like it is for us to crack the top 6 in the epl.)

Heck, maybe epl

/uefa should do playoffs for 2 to 8 on who gets champions league vs europa vs europa.conference to give others a chance? Lol not happening huh?

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not saying this just because we may finish 3rd and then lose out in playoffs, but have thought about this for a while - why is it not a top 3 just go straight up? 

Why can it not be 3 up, and 3 down from PL? 

Whether it's us, Leeds or Ipswich it'd be an absolute travesty if there was a 3rd place finish and then somehow still didn't get promoted. Especially considering there could be a 20pt gap between 3rd and 6th. 

If there was a vote for keeping playoffs or changing it to a top 3 only, which way would you go? 

We've  benefited from the play offs ourselves in the past, so I couldn't vote against it, just because it went against us all of a sudden.

Makes the league so much better. Annoying for whoever gets third this season but then it was annoying for Notts County and Sheff Weds last season until they went and won at Wembley anyway. 

How about how Bundesliga do it - would anyone consider potential for 3rd in Championship having a 2-leg playoff against 18th in PL? And similar further down the pyramid? 

If you abolished the play-offs you would have to cut the league size - as 24 teams would be far too many. Say you're 12th in the league in January you have nothing to play for bar a miracle or disaster.

• Like 1

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

If you abolished the play-offs you would have to cut the league size - as 24 teams would be far too many. Say you're 12th in the league in January you have nothing to play for bar a miracle or disaster.

Controversial shout, but I think 18 league teams work best. Have 2 automatically going down with play offs involving 15th and 16th from the top league and 3rd and 4th from the 2nd.

Without a doubt yes!

As someone who constantly repeats how bored of football and the modern game, they are something I really look forward to, so exciting and one of my favourite times of the year as a football fan.

I know it was a League 1 playoff but that Peterborough v Sheff Wed play off last season. Wow!

I was going to make a post in the Championship thread about quality to one side how the Championship pisses all over the Premier League for entertainment and excitement earlier actually!

I've always said it as a neutral, even when we were being somewhat successful in the Premier League

That doesn't mean I want to be in the Championship because it's a damn hard league to be in, it's not 'the place' to be and as we're seeing financially you need to be in the Premier League although I think we'd be in a mess even had we survived last season.

Anyway, back to the playoffs, I usually hate Americanized things of which you'd normally say a playoff is, however they do it to win a league teams have already won (They do it in Rugby too, enough said), with no promotion or relegation.

They are the best way to go up but the worst way not to go up.

Edited by Matt