Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Next Seasons Squad - Can we now talk about it?

With promotion on the horizon, we are 95% now looking at needing to build a team of players to keep us in the Premier League next season.

I’m sure this will be a hot topic for discussions as soon as the curtain falls down but the reality is no business will get done in the short term as the European Championship Final isn’t until the 14th July. 

We need to sell Dewsbury Hall prior to the end of June I believe to comply with upcoming FSR regulations, so with that and the upcoming contract expiries, we are going to have a skeletal squad, even compared to this season.

We have seen the promoted sides struggle this season, Burnley in particular have struggled to adapt and are having their own attempts at a great escape. 

We’ve got an impending points deduction in the region of 10 points heading our way due to PSR (FSR) breaches, so we’ll be looking at needing to get 52ish points from 38 games. That’s an average of 1.37 points per game. The reality is, this team isn’t going to do that.

We are going to need some major additions, all within a small time period, all bedding in quickly, as the Premier League kicks off on the 17th August. 

By my take, we are going to need to undertake the following:

——

Expiring Contracts

2024 - Vestergaard, Albrighton, Vardy, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho

You’d keep Vardy and Vestergaard in reality. Ndidi has been good this season, however I can’t see him staying with us and he’s injury prone. We don’t have the luxury of carrying a player that is only okay capable of playing 50% of the games. 

2025 - Iversen, Ward, Thomas

I’d move all of these on if we can to be honest, even if we are only covering wages 

Loan Contracts

Doyle, Akgun and Fatawu

I believe we are obliged to keep Akgun and Fatawu is a no brainer transfer. We can only loan two players from the Premier League, so I’m not sure Doyle is worth it, unless we look to sign him permanently. 

Chances are we will look to loan players from the relegated teams, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we ”loaned” players from Forest, Sheffield United, Burnley or Luton.

Slim pickings in reality but Forest have some good players that could play the Enzo system in the likes of Gibbs-White, however I don’t see the likes of Sangare who we courted for years being an option. Sander Berg from Burnley maybe.

Transfers

KDH will need to go unfortunately to balance the books so to speak. I think that’s the reality of it. I’m not sure if this has been widely accepted or known? I’d be amazed if he’s with us next season. For the right price, I can see any of our squad members being sold, however we need to shift Souttar, Soumare, Ward, Iversen, Kristensen, Thomas and Daka going for money. Reality is, that doesn’t happen. 

We aren’t going to have the luxury of splashing cash. It will pain people but I can see us looking at Josh Brownhill from Burnley on a free. He was steady when Burnley got promoted and he’s been one of their better players. 

Obviously we are all hoping we can unearth loads more gems for next to nothing, however the entire footballing world is playing that game. 

——

In an ideal world, I think we are looking at two centre backs, two full backs, four centre midfielders, two wide players and two forwards. That’s a major rebuild and we’ve rarely seen this work. 

We all need to acknowledge, staying up next season is the target and it’s going to be a bloody grind. This promotion might feel like a damp squib, however staying up next season might be one of our greatest achievements. 

• Like 3

Without knowing the funds available, penalties in place, points reduction etc yet, l guess we're in limbo.

The club are probably preparing for all scenarios, as we know how well ran & prepared they are :ph34r:.

Personally l haven't a clue & am prepared for a difficult season & immediate return to the no VAR league.

• Like 1

I would keep:

GK: Hermansen, Stolarcyk and let go Ward, Iversen

DEF: Ricardo, Justin, Nelson, Coady, Faes and add 3 x new defenders. Let go/sell Vestergaard, Kristiansen, Thomas

MID: Keep Winks, Braybrooke, Alves and 2 x new CDMs. Let go/sell: Ndidi, KDH, Praet, Choudhury

WINGERS: Keep Mavididi, sign Fatawu + 2 new players

STRIKERS: Keep Cannon. Let go Daka, Iheanacho, Vardy. + 2 new signings.

So at least 9 needed in. All of quality!

Should be a big close season!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sly said:

With promotion on the horizon, we are 95% now looking at needing to build a team of players to keep us in the Premier League next season.

I’m sure this will be a hot topic for discussions as soon as the curtain falls down but the reality is no business will get done in the short term as the European Championship Final isn’t until the 14th July. 

We need to sell Dewsbury Hall prior to the end of June I believe to comply with upcoming FSR regulations, so with that and the upcoming contract expiries, we are going to have a skeletal squad, even compared to this season.

We have seen the promoted sides struggle this season, Burnley in particular have struggled to adapt and are having their own attempts at a great escape. 

We’ve got an impending points deduction in the region of 10 points heading our way due to PSR (FSR) breaches, so we’ll be looking at needing to get 52ish points from 38 games. That’s an average of 1.37 points per game. The reality is, this team isn’t going to do that.

We are going to need some major additions, all within a small time period, all bedding in quickly, as the Premier League kicks off on the 17th August. 

By my take, we are going to need to undertake the following:

——

Expiring Contracts

2024 - Vestergaard, Albrighton, Vardy, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho

You’d keep Vardy and Vestergaard in reality. Ndidi has been good this season, however I can’t see him staying with us and he’s injury prone. We don’t have the luxury of carrying a player that is only okay capable of playing 50% of the games. 

2025 - Iversen, Ward, Thomas

I’d move all of these on if we can to be honest, even if we are only covering wages 

Loan Contracts

Doyle, Akgun and Fatawu

I believe we are obliged to keep Akgun and Fatawu is a no brainer transfer. We can only loan two players from the Premier League, so I’m not sure Doyle is worth it, unless we look to sign him permanently. 

Chances are we will look to loan players from the relegated teams, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we ”loaned” players from Forest, Sheffield United, Burnley or Luton.

Slim pickings in reality but Forest have some good players that could play the Enzo system in the likes of Gibbs-White, however I don’t see the likes of Sangare who we courted for years being an option. Sander Berg from Burnley maybe.

Transfers

KDH will need to go unfortunately to balance the books so to speak. I think that’s the reality of it. I’m not sure if this has been widely accepted or known? I’d be amazed if he’s with us next season. For the right price, I can see any of our squad members being sold, however we need to shift Souttar, Soumare, Ward, Iversen, Kristensen, Thomas and Daka going for money. Reality is, that doesn’t happen. 

We aren’t going to have the luxury of splashing cash. It will pain people but I can see us looking at Josh Brownhill from Burnley on a free. He was steady when Burnley got promoted and he’s been one of their better players. 

Obviously we are all hoping we can unearth loads more gems for next to nothing, however the entire footballing world is playing that game. 

——

In an ideal world, I think we are looking at two centre backs, two full backs, four centre midfielders, two wide players and two forwards. That’s a major rebuild and we’ve rarely seen this work. 

We all need to acknowledge, staying up next season is the target and it’s going to be a bloody grind. This promotion might feel like a damp squib, however staying up next season might be one of our greatest achievements. 

We are only obliged  to keep Atgun if he played 25 games which he won't do

13 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

We are only obliged  to keep Atgun if he played 25 games which he won't do

If its a league only clause and I hope it is, then you are correct. He has passed 25 appearances if this includes cup cameos

We need to ship out a load of players, most likely lose KDH, and have a complete squad overhaul. The squad was good enough for the Championship but looks no where near good enough for the Premier League. The gulf between the top of the Championship and the Premier League is massive. 

We need to be all over getting in the quality free agents that are out there and available, to bolster the squad. The likes of:

Mario Hermoso. CB/LB

Juan Miranda. LB

Nahitan Nández. CM

Yusuf Yazıcı. AM

Che Adams. CF

Get these lads in and take the options to purchase Fatawu and Akgun, then sell academy products Iversen, Thomas & K D H and we're a long way down the road to ffp redemption!

1 hour ago, FosseSpark said:

I would keep:

GK: Hermansen, Stolarcyk and let go Ward, Iversen

DEF: Ricardo, Justin, Nelson, Coady, Faes and add 3 x new defenders. Let go/sell Vestergaard, Kristiansen, Thomas

MID: Keep Winks, Braybrooke, Alves and 2 x new CDMs. Let go/sell: Ndidi, KDH, Praet, Choudhury

WINGERS: Keep Mavididi, sign Fatawu + 2 new players

STRIKERS: Keep Cannon. Let go Daka, Iheanacho, Vardy. + 2 new signings.

So at least 9 needed in. All of quality!

Should be a big close season!

Vardy has proven he can be valuable for at least one more season. With the lack of natural finishers everywhere how on earth are we going to find strikers? Let Vardy go and he'll sign for one season with another PL relegation rival scoring 12-13 goals. 

Can’t we just win a game well and enjoy it. We are not promoted yet. No where near 95%. Last week we lost two on the bounce against Millwall and Plymouth - not a lot expected that. 

Don’t believe the media hype, this league can bite you in the ass. Especially at this stage of the season. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 3