Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Tom Cannon - PNE

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/tom-cannon-leicester-city-preston-north-end-blackburn-rovers-4617581

Ryan Lowe's transfer stance as Preston North End reportedly back in for £7.5m star

Another Preston North End transfer rumour as a newly promoted Premier League striker has been linked.

Preston North End have been linked with re-signing Leicester City striker Tom Cannon, according to a report. 

Alan Nixon, a journalist that reports on the EFLfor The Sun has posted on his Patreon that North End along with their Lancashire rivals Blackburn Rovers are interested in pursuing a move. A loan deal has been suggested for Cannon, who struggled with game time at the King Power Arena following an injury-hit campaign. 

Cannon joined the Foxes on a deal worth £7.5m last summer when a return to Deepdalelooked to be on the cards. The Lilywhites had aligned everything for him to come but then in the latter stages of the window, Leicester gazumped them to his signature and North End opted to sign Milutin Osmajic for a club record fee instead.

The 21-year-old made just 13 appearances in Leicester's title winning campaign scoring two goals. He missed the first two months of the campaign with a back injury and then had just 15 minutes of pitch time from early March to the end of the season.

Leicester despite already winning the league did not include Cannon in their squad for their final match against Blackburn, who are also interested in taking him. They might need some attacking reinforcements as Sammie Szmodics who won the Golden Boot award with 27 goals in 44 games is attracting interest from the Premier League. It has also been suggested that Sam Gallagher might depart Ewood Park with his contract up in the summer. 

Ryan Lowe of course worked with Cannon before during his loan spell and will have a few things on his agenda for the next few weeks. He will first be sitting down with those out of contract, as well as drawing up a list of potential transfer targets.

Asked which positions he’d be targeting, he said: “We’ll have to wait and see, won’t we? We’ve got every position on the recruitment list, that we potentially might need. And do you know what? We’ve got five strikers at the minute - four contracted - but I am not saying I won’t look for another striker. Something might materialise.”

With three strikers here next year, if Vardy resigns, I'll keep Cannon unless we get our money back. Rather invest our limited funds in other key positions and work with the potential of Cannon and Daka 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Under Enzo I don't see us moving from playing one-up front.  I would expect Enzo wants to bring in someone new to lead the line, rotating with Vards. We know Kels is on his way and depending on interest I would expect us to sell one of Daka / Cannon

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, scinnell said:

With three strikers here next year, if Vardy resigns, I'll keep Cannon unless we get our money back. Rather invest our limited funds in other key positions and work with the potential of Cannon and Daka 

We already know Daka isn't up to the job and from the limited stuff I've seen of him, Cannon isn't yet either. Needs more time in the Championship. Maybe sell with a buy back clause?

One thing we will definitely need next year is goals, and we'll need someone of a better quality, and ideally more of a physical presence of what we already have, with Vardy as a more than capable back up. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

They might need some attacking reinforcements as Sammie Szmodics who won the Golden Boot award with 27 goals in 44 games is attracting interest from the Premier League.

Ouch, by the looks of things there are already Premier League clubs ahead of Leicester trying to lure Sammie Szmodics.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, scinnell said:

12 goal contributions in 20 games is an OK record. Daka's high press and work rate is something needed in an Enzo system to win the ball back in key positions. Yes, recent months he has been very frustrating, but I do think he is a massive confidence player

Over the last two plus years Daka hasn’t pulled up any trees (16 goals from 73 appearances).

Yes he is a willing presser, but he is not clinical enough, he isn’t able to hold up the ball well enough. 

If there was chance to sell and break even with our amortised balance sheet value I would let him go.

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Deal for Szmodics plus Cannon on loan perhaps?

He plays for Blackburn so gonna be tough to get them to agree to that on Preston's behalf. And we probably don't want to be signing a soon to be 29 year old striker who's just had his first decent season at Championship level.

I think he will end up staying, definitely wont be sold

Nacho leaving

Daka to be sold/loaned (hopefully)

New starting striker signed

Vardy and Cannon on the bench

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think he will end up staying, definitely wont be sold

Nacho leaving

Daka to be sold/loaned (hopefully)

New starting striker signed

Vardy and Cannon on the bench

Youssef En-Nesyri 😂

I think he’s a great player. Really hoped for him to play more this season because whenever he’s played he’s been very promising.

Get proper Kramaric vibes from him where if we sell him we’ll regret it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

I think he’s a great player. Really hoped for him to play more this season because whenever he’s played he’s been very promising.

Get proper Kramaric vibes from him where if we sell him we’ll regret it.

Why have we regretted selling Kramaric?

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He plays for Blackburn so gonna be tough to get them to agree to that on Preston's behalf. And we probably don't want to be signing a soon to be 29 year old striker who's just had his first decent season at Championship level.

Blackburn also interested according to the above. Am aware he’s not a Preston player 👍. Was very impressed with him on Saturday (playing for Blackburn :thumbup:), quick and aggressive, played on the shoulder and good finisher. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Blackburn also interested according to the above. Am aware he’s not a Preston player 👍. Was very impressed with him on Saturday (playing for Blackburn :thumbup:), quick and aggressive, played on the shoulder and good finisher. 

Yeah he's clearly having a superb season and fair play to him, but given his age and it's the first time he's hit over 20 in a season. It's not the profile of player we should really be looking at.

Could see Sheff Utd or Luton looking to pick him up if they drop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Why have we regretted selling Kramaric?

Not so much regret, more a player whose gone on to be a prolific goal scorer who wasn’t given a good enough chance here.

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

Yeah he's clearly having a superb season and fair play to him, but given his age and it's the first time he's hit over 20 in a season. It's not the profile of player we should really be looking at.

Could see Sheff Utd or Luton looking to pick him up if they drop.

I wasn’t convinced either I must admit, but although we were well off it Saturday, I thought he was excellent. A real leader which we’ll need next year, fight, graft, technique, cool finisher. Vardy was a late bloomer, maybe Szmodics is too. Whoever we sign will be a gamble. If there’s an interest in a loan for Cannon, could bring the price down a bit, making him a more viable/palatable option 

• Like 1