Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Tom Cannon - PNE

On 06/05/2024 at 22:50, StriderHiryu said:

There’s a rumour that he was signed “as insurance” in case we weren’t promoted this season. The thinking was that if we didn’t go up right away it would be likely we couldn’t sign anyone so in that case we’d have a proven Championship striker to give us a chance in the second season. 

He looked like a good player to me but there’s probably a lot of merit to letting him have a full season as a starter in the Championship, bag 15-20 goals and then come back to us. The step up between the divisions is massive. 

Rumour where? Never seen anything posted or reported? 

19 hours ago, honeybradger said:

He's a good finisher but the main worry for me is that he doesnt seem to get many chances. Most of his shots seem to be wild attempts without any space to pull them off that end up hitting the first defender, which worked against Huddersfield but isnt a reliable way to create chances for yourself.

Hopefully he can get some coaching from Vardy or Daka because, despite their finishing not being great this season, their movement to find space around the box is excellent and it is the reason that they start over Cannon.

I had noticed this too, so many blocked shots. I think he's another who suits a front two and space being created by another striker near to him. That was the system he was in at Preston.

It's staggering that we sign players who's experience comes from being in a front two or who are better in a pair. Daka only ever played in a front two at Salzburg and nearly all his best games for us in his 1st season here were in a two. Cannon did well at Preston in a two and Iheanacho's best form has been in the withdrawn role in a front two.

Only Vardy has ever been comfortable as a sole striker for us. No doubt we'll make the same mistake again this summer.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2024 at 12:24, Haywood_6 said:

Be stupid to sell him now. We've only just signed him and he's shown a lot of potential. He should have had more chances this season. Daka and Iheanacho are the ones who should go.

Daka's house is currently up for sale, so I suspect a deal is already in the offing to go somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Daka's house is currently up for sale, so I suspect a deal is already in the offing to go somewhere. 

He rents is apparently. We had the same with Youri about 2 years ago.

On 06/05/2024 at 18:50, JimmyC74 said:

Under Enzo I don't see us moving from playing one-up front.  I would expect Enzo wants to bring in someone new to lead the line, rotating with Vards. We know Kels is on his way and depending on interest I would expect us to sell one of Daka / Cannon

I think this system is crying out for a target man who’s got aerial presence and link the play well, with the quantity of balls we put into the box. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think this system is crying out for a target man who’s got aerial presence and link the play well, with the quantity of balls we put into the box. 

Liam Delay could be the one. 

I like him and think he's got a decent future here but he does need game time for development.

If we were loaning him out I'd be seeing if Burnley are interested, see how he fares in a similar system, though they have their own young strikers to develop too.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 10:01, Ric Flair said:

I had noticed this too, so many blocked shots. I think he's another who suits a front two and space being created by another striker near to him. That was the system he was in at Preston.

It's staggering that we sign players who's experience comes from being in a front two or who are better in a pair. Daka only ever played in a front two at Salzburg and nearly all his best games for us in his 1st season here were in a two. Cannon did well at Preston in a two and Iheanacho's best form has been in the withdrawn role in a front two.

Only Vardy has ever been comfortable as a sole striker for us. No doubt we'll make the same mistake again this summer.

It’s hard and it even took the 🐐 quite a while to acclimatise and learn that role. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2024 at 01:46, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Yeah it makes no sense why we keep playing that tactic without the traditional number 9.

Shearer or Sir Les would love this system

• Like 1

I think if our wide players were a bit more clinical the idea would be to have a link up man in the way Firmino played for Liverpool and to an extent how Havertz is playing for Arsenal at present.

• Like 2

On 08/05/2024 at 16:56, Greg2607 said:

you may well be right.... i've never seen a house look MORE like a footballers house though.   

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/146360855#/?channel=RES_BUY

He 100% doesn't own this house. It was being done up by an Asian couple since just before covid, think they owned some sort of food business. I'm surprised they weren't living in it and were renting it out to be honest. 

On 12/05/2024 at 11:24, Number 6 said:

I like him and think he's got a decent future here but he does need game time for development.

If we were loaning him out I'd be seeing if Burnley are interested, see how he fares in a similar system, though they have their own young strikers to develop too.

The time to give him game time for his development was this last season in the Championship. There was ample opportunity to give him game time that was squandered. 

16 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Never understood this signing in the first place 

I think most at the club expected Daka to leave. 

I’ll admit I’ve not seen lots of him but my general opinion is that his actual finishing is quite good, however he shoots a lot and tries to take chances that aren’t on, so these get blocked.

He doesn’t really press that effectively and his off the ball movement isn’t as good as Daka / Vardy. He doesn’t get himself into those positions that Daka / Vardy get to miss the chances we get frustrated about. 

I can’t really comment on his link up play when dropping deeper, so not sure how he compares to Iheanacho. 

I can see why he hasn’t got game time compared to the other three. 

• Like 1

What will be interesting is whether having a full pre season will really help him kick on, it can’t have helped joining the club right at the end of the window, being injured for 3 months and therefore missing valuable time learning quite a complex role. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if the coaching staff keep a very close eye once the first month of pre-season to assess his development and then make the decision as to whether to retain him or look to loan him out for the season and potentially being in a more ready made striker for the season. 

I have a funny feeling he'll come good for us. From the very little we've managed to see if him, he showed bits that suggest he could be a good hybrid of a target man, runner in behind, and a striker happy to drop deep. Maybe I'm projecting my hopes for him too much, but he is very young, and has Vardy to learn from...

I think he just needs game time to develop as a lone striker—whether with us, or on loan at a top half Championship club next season. And the priority has to be him getting game time, IMHO.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 17:22, JimJams said:

I think if our wide players were a bit more clinical the idea would be to have a link up man in the way Firmino played for Liverpool and to an extent how Havertz is playing for Arsenal at present.

To be honest, I think this system compliments most types of forward. You could have a big bodied forward, who can drop to the back post and head in the chipped crosses we regularly put in, you could have a speedy forward who drops short then runs in behind (similar to what Daka was doing) or have a deep lying forward, who can link up play and drag a centre back out of shape to leave space in behind.