Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Watched Submarine last night.

I'd seen it when I was a teenager and thought it was shit, but having watched it again I really enjoyed it. 

Must have been too quirky for my thicko teenage mind.

Yeah, a very funny and moving coming of age movie 👍

Promising Young Woman 

Thought it was quite average - surprised at the Oscar hype. Plot holes galore. An uneasy balance of style, a quite serious topic and dark humour. Tries to be more clever than it actually is. Mulligan does well really to keep it going 

I thought Fennell’s writing was poor in Killing Eve Series 2 when it come to do some witty and sassy. It reminds me of that. 

The Courier

True story about an American businessman recruited by British Intelligence and the CIA, to regularly pick up secrets from a Russian spy just before the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Not a bad movie.  Not great, but well worth the watch.
Had me captivated for the first 90 minutes, but the last 30 slowed to a crawl and I found myself starting to get bored with it.  

On 23/04/2021 at 23:35, Cardiff_Fox said:

Promising Young Woman 

Thought it was quite average - surprised at the Oscar hype. Plot holes galore. An uneasy balance of style, a quite serious topic and dark humour. Tries to be more clever than it actually is. Mulligan does well really to keep it going 

I thought Fennell’s writing was poor in Killing Eve Series 2 when it come to do some witty and sassy. It reminds me of that. 

I thought it was good, did it win any oscars as I don't think it was worthy, but an enjoyable, gripping film for my simple tastes anyway...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Royston. said:

I thought it was good, did it win any oscars as I don't think it was worthy, but an enjoyable, gripping film for my simple tastes anyway...

Oscars Ceremony tonight, thought Mulligan was good in it regardless. My other half loved it 

Freaks.

Really enjoyed it. Although sci-fi/ horror, it's essentially a film about family dynamics.

Bruce Dern is his usual stellar self and there is very good supporting cast. But the real superstar is the young girl who plays the gifted "freak". Fantastic and gripping performance from her.

On 25/04/2021 at 01:03, spacemunky said:

Stowaway (on Prime)

3 astronauts on their way to Mars find a 4th person on board.

Some might find it a bit slow, but I thought it was well done and very intense as the story builds.

22 minutes ago, marbles said:

Stowaway

Good premise.  Good actors/actresses.  Bad plot holes.  Bad ending.
Dont waste your time with this one.

I'm inbetween with this one. The fact I really don't like Anna Kendrick for some reason doesn't help. 5.5/10. Seen worse films this year but also plenty better. If you're a Sci fi nut then I'd give it a go, otherwise probably pass. 

22 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What’s everyone’s favourite film? Also does anyone know any films with good twists?

Saw that 'The Game' is on Netflix whilst flicking through a couple days ago. A psychological thriller of sorts with a twist. Been a few years, but remember it being entertaining.

4 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Anyone got any good Horror recommendations?

Some of my faves from recent years - 

It Follows

The Witch

Midsommar

Hereditary

Something along these lines.

I really enjoyed House Of The Devil

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Anyone got any good Horror recommendations?

Some of my faves from recent years - 

It Follows

The Witch

Midsommar

Hereditary

Something along these lines.

Unless it's really well produced and acted I find a lot of horror films underwhelming, corny and predictable. I think the last horror that got to me was The Exorcist.