Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Finally got round to watching ex machina. I really enjoyed it, thought it was thought provoking, well written, well acted but ultimately, mainly down to people saying it's comparable to arrival, Moon and blade runner 2049, it fell short of that for me. I'd give it a solid 8/10 it just didn't meet the expectations I had for it, given the regard people who have similar taste in thought provoking Sci fi hold it in. 

26 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I really enjoyed Ex Machina. I wouldn't have compared it to any of those films though! It's nothing like them. It's more like a really good extended episode of Black Mirror. 

I meant more in terms of quality and thematically, it's certainly incredibly similar to the base component of are androids really human in blade runner. 

19 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Finally got round to watching ex machina. I really enjoyed it, thought it was thought provoking, well written, well acted but ultimately, mainly down to people saying it's comparable to arrival, Moon and blade runner 2049

Ex Machina is an enjoyable film and  I can see the link to provoking thought, certainly with Arrival and Moon, maybe not Blade Runner 2049.

Arrival, for me though, is one of the greatest films of the century, and in a different category to these.

22 hours ago, Babylon said:

Hated the first one, this is pretty watchable. Should have ended half an hour earlier though. 

It’s better than the original but it’s still not very good. I saw people claiming it was better than the last 2 Avengers movies which did make me laugh 

5 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

It’s better than the original but it’s still not very good. I saw people claiming it was better than the last 2 Avengers movies which did make me laugh 

Yes, it’s a better film than the original but it felt like a drag towards the end. Still a decent watch, however due to the length of it, I wouldn’t go back and watch it again in a hurry. 

37 minutes ago, Soup said:

Watched Whiplash for the 2nd time. Absolutely stunning. I think the final scene is my favourite of all time. On the iplayer for a other week or so. Might watch it again 

Excellent film. Had Fletcher as my avatar on here for a couple of years after I watched it lol

• Like 1

If you were a fan of Coming To America (1988) you'll love the follow up, Coming 2 America (2021).

It's pretty much a retread, the same-ish movie but more modern, loads of nods to the first, most of the characters are back.

I smiled the whole way through plus a ton of laughs.

Won't win any awards but a lot of fun if you want something easy going.

PS I watched the original a few days before seeing the sequel - glad I did, definitely helped with some of the gags.

Got up early today to watch the HBO Max premier of Godzilla vs Kong.

Fight scenes were great !!  FX was amazing 

The human story left a lot to be desired - but this type of movie is watched for only one reason.  Giant monster fights, and it definitely delivered on that.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, marbles said:

Got up early today to watch the HBO Max premier of Godzilla vs Kong.

Fight scenes were great !!  FX was amazing 

The human story left a lot to be desired - but this type of movie is watched for only one reason.  Giant monster fights, and it definitely delivered on that.

Just finished watching it myself, anyone who wants to see big monsters throw down then it certainly delivers

They had to get some human story in there and whilst that aspect wasn’t the best, it was alright

Be interesting to see what they do with the Monsterverse next

Also as I fully expected before it came out, Godzilla > Kong lol

Pretty cool to see them both team up to mess up Mecha G

Edited by moore_94

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Going to be watching Godzilla v King Kong tomorrow (by agreement) and I am assuming it is an expect little, enjoy plenty type film?

exactly

turn your brain off, and enjoy the scenery and action

• Like 2

You Cannot Kill David Arquette is an interesting film / doc, he became the most hated wrestler after winning a title,this film is about him returning to the ring, gets absolutely battered in one fight and hospitalised 8/10  

Saw “Knives Out” on Amazon Prime this evening. Enjoyed it. Good twist on the traditional whodunnit. 8/10.

Although not one to catch if well-known British actors doing highly questionable accents bothers you greatly...

• Like 1