Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

6 hours ago, Dunge said:

Saw “Knives Out” on Amazon Prime this evening. Enjoyed it. Good twist on the traditional whodunnit. 8/10.

Although not one to catch if well-known British actors doing highly questionable accents bothers you greatly...

Very much enjoyed it, suspect this is down to whodunnit deficit though

On 28/03/2021 at 09:56, Soup said:

Watched Whiplash for the 2nd time. Absolutely stunning. I think the final scene is my favourite of all time. On the iplayer for a other week or so. Might watch it again 

On 28/03/2021 at 10:34, Tuna said:

Excellent film. Had Fletcher as my avatar on here for a couple of years after I watched it lol

Another surprisingly good film that went under the radar. As an amateur drummer I found it fascinating.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Another surprisingly good film that went under the radar. As an amateur drummer I found it fascinating.

I'm guessing you'd not want Fletcher as your tutor? Or would you haha! 

Only recently found out that JK Simmons won best supporting actor at the Oscars for that character. 

Not really watched many films of late but caught two this week.

Master and Commander was the first I watched. Amazing film, the writing, performances and casting were all spot on. Surprised that it gets so little fanfare for how good it is. It feels like it’s the antithesis of contemporary Hollywood, maybe that’s why.

The Equaliser was the other. Entertaining but really predictable. Denzel Washington plays his one role really well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Keep an eye for Sound of Metal, about a drummer losing his hearing. It’s been nominated for an Oscar but like a lot of the Oscar films, it’s stuck in limbo regards the cinema release or a streaming release 

Just read its on Amazon Prime from 12th April - if anything like what they’ve been doing with the other Oscar noms expect to pay a £10!

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Just watched this myself, thought it was pretty decent, both main characters were great I thought, ending was meh. 

I think I sussed out the whole plot including twists from watching the trailer which is probably why I’m being harsh. 

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think I sussed out the whole plot including twists from watching the trailer which is probably why I’m being harsh. 

I have a rule now, the second I think 'OK this looks alright' I turn the trailer off, I think it's a sign of people's shortening attention spans with the way media is now, the trailers aren't so much trailers anymore but films condensed in to 3 minutes, avoid. 

• Like 3

I'm a huge fan of Frances McDormand and her performances in Blood Simple, Fargo and 3 Billboards were all incredible. So I was greatly looking forward to watching Nomadland.

I can't knock her performance again, stellar as ever. However, the film itself although an admirable and worthy commentary on the ills of American society, didn't really fulfil its primary purpose for me, which was to entertain. 

In summary, could have done with a few more car chases.

4 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

I'm a huge fan of Frances McDormand and her performances in Blood Simple, Fargo and 3 Billboards were all incredible. So I was greatly looking forward to watching Nomadland.

I can't knock her performance again, stellar as ever. However, the film itself although an admirable and worthy commentary on the ills of American society, didn't really fulfil its primary purpose for me, which was to entertain. 

In summary, could have done with a few more car chases.

That makes sense given the source material is a non fictional book 

Palm Springs on Amazon Prime.

Stars Andy Samberg, Christina Milioti and J. K. Simmons.  

Watched this after seeing multiple good reviews, and it is a VERY weird film but with some proper lol moments - though it's not a comedy. It was very enjoyable though and something a little bit different. One of those films where it's best to not know anything about it going into it. 

Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 20:59, The Bear said:

Palm Springs on Amazon Prime.

Stars Andy Samberg, Christina Milioti and J. K. Simmons.  

Watched this after seeing multiple good reviews, and it is a VERY weird film but with some proper lol moments - though it's not a comedy. It was very enjoyable though and something a little bit different. One of those films where it's best to not know anything about it going into it. 

Highly recommended. 

Was literally coming to post about this - brilliant film. My advice would be don’t watch the trailer because it kinda of puts a damper on the first twenty minutes slightly. Hilarious at times 

• Like 1

Watched Midsommar again last night. Definitely enjoyed it more this time around, two or three scenes in it are truly horrifying and it's general vibe is just really, really unsettling. 8.5/10. The only bit that's really jarring is when the first major 'omg' moment happens and they don't all just think sod this and do a runner. 

8 hours ago, marbles said:

Nobody - at first, I wasn't too sure about it.  As it went along, it grew on me to the point that I loved it.

Violent, action packed.  Think John Wick, with some dark humor.

Loved it. Watched it last night. Tongue in check

• Like 1

I recently watched Godzilla vs Kong. Good movie, the monster fights were good, better than the 1st godzilla and skull island movie, I like Godzilla: King of Monster fights more just because it has the classic Godzilla monsters but I hated how there always had to be a giant storm when they fight.

The human sub plot was meh, none of them really stood out, but like most of the Godzilla movie the human plot is usually not that good.

I rank this as my 2nd favourite godzilla movie of the legendary franchise.

• Like 1

Riders of Justice
Danish action/dark humor movie.

A man seeks revenge after his wife is killed in a train accident.
It definitely wasn't what I expected.  Well worth the watch.

If you do decide to watch it - use subtitles, not dubbing.