Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched Sicario (again) recently. Decent, but it reminded me of the best film I've seen touching on this subject,  

Sin Nombre (Without Number).

More about emigration north into the USA, but one of the drug gangs, MS 13, is absolutely central to it. 

Pretty tough watch at times, but incredibly honest and resonant. 

Edited by Stoopid
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2021 at 22:32, Tuna said:

Full Metal Jacket is the best Vietnam war movie.

On 04/03/2021 at 23:01, foxile5 said:

Disagree. Apocalypse Now edges it. On BBC iPlayer now. 

On 05/03/2021 at 00:38, Bamboo said:

Disagree. Platoon by a country mile. 

The Deer Hunter for me. Masterpiece.

• Like 3

On 12/03/2021 at 01:29, Bamboo said:

Cherry, out today on Apple TV. Anyone going to watch it? Not really sure what to make of Apple TV. I have a year’ free subscription so little point being British, interested to know if anyone else is a regular subscriber, not like they have daily, or even weekly releases to warrant paying for.. 

All a bit Shepard’s pie 

The Morning Show was really good and Defending Jacob is decent. 

Heard mixed things about Ted Lasso.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

The Morning Show was really good and Defending Jacob is decent. 

Heard mixed things about Ted Lasso.

I agree, enjoyed that.

As for Ted Lasso, watched the first episode, utter tripe. Soccer AM level of football pastiche, straight in the bin. 

• Haha 1

On 04/03/2021 at 22:32, Tuna said:

Full Metal Jacket is the best Vietnam war movie.

On 04/03/2021 at 23:01, foxile5 said:

Disagree. Apocalypse Now edges it. On BBC iPlayer now. 

On 05/03/2021 at 00:38, Bamboo said:

Disagree. Platoon by a country mile. 

All three are excellent as is Deer Hunter, which I think got mentioned.  

For a more recent war film related to the war in Iraq, American Sniper is class. Based on a true story, Bradley Cooper's finest performance IMO.

On 13/03/2021 at 09:57, Blue Fox 72 said:

The Deer Hunter for me. Masterpiece.

Platoon

Apocalypse Now

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket 

In that order for me.

I’m a glutton for punishment and watch the extended version of Apocalypse Now, although the plantation scene is a bit of a bore. The movie includes one of my all time favourite movie scenes with the brilliant Robert Duvall leading the helicopter attack on the village whilst playing The Ride of the Valkyries, amazing 🤩 

Personally I think The Deer Hunter suffers with the wedding scene, it’s too long and boring, the Vietnam scenes make up for it though!                                              Full Metal Jacket has a fantastic first half but tails off and loses its way when they head off to Vietnam.

Platoon has it right for me, a great score, good characters and delivers on how I imagine fighting in Vietnam would of been for many young men.

Papillon - the remake. Really enjoyed it, having read the book a few years back. Good acting, if maybe a tad lacking in range for the main character considering what he went through. I always thought the book had a hint of bravado about it and the film followed suit. Or maybe he was just hard as nails in every aspect, who knows? I just think 5 years in solitary would send the vast majority of people over the edge. Not even any Teams calls in the 30s. 

Good sets, good photography and real “boys own” stuff. Went well with 8 little cans of IPA (couldn’t read the label or decipher the branding in any way) some crisps, a few M&S fruit pastilles and a bit of Swiss chocolate.

17 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just finished watching it, very good, much improved on the Whedon version

I haven't watched the Whedon version lol

It's a shame there will not be the planned sequel or the standalone Affleck batman movie.  BvS had its faults granted but MoS was quality.  The extended JL deserves a sequel imo.  Much prefer the more brutal style of the movies but I'm annoyed at how DC has been handled across the board though.  Prefer the characters to Marvel but Marvel still do the better movies overall.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 19:11, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I really liked mythic quest on apple TV. Servant was good first season, just meandered a bit season 2, hoping it gets better. 

LOVED Mythic Quest - the quarantine episode was fantastic. 

On 12/03/2021 at 01:29, Bamboo said:

Cherry, out today on Apple TV. Anyone going to watch it? Not really sure what to make of Apple TV. I have a year’ free subscription so little point being British, interested to know if anyone else is a regular subscriber, not like they have daily, or even weekly releases to warrant paying for.. 

All a bit Shepard’s pie 

Got a years subscription thanks to someone on the family group getting a new device. Really enjoyed “See” with Jason Mamoa, purely for the world building. Couldn’t get into Ted Lasso.

Did anyone watch Cherry yet?

Watched "Crock of Gold", Julien Temple's film profile of Shane MacGowan. Available on I-Player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000t84r/crock-of-gold-a-few-rounds-with-shane-macgowan

Strongly recommended. Gives a good idea of his genius and his craziness (I had to put subtitles on for some of his more recent interviews).

Focuses a lot on his childhood and youth between England and Ireland, but also lots of great footage of 1980s Pogues gigs (as amiably wild as I remember them).

Lots of input from family (parents, sister, longsuffering partner) and some jabber with Bobby Gillespie, Johnny Depp and Gerry Adams, but not much from other band members - focus is on Shane, not the band.

Some great use of animation, too.

Getting highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/crock_of_gold_a_few_rounds_with_shane_macgowan

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Watched 2 today, avoiding all the stuff that needs doing around the house. 

Night Hunter - terrible on almost every level, twists for the sake of twists and never good ones. 2/10

Mollys Game - really interesting, well written, well acted. Liked the smell of its own farts a bit much though. 7/10

Look up who Player X is rumoured to be.  I was not expecting to be that person lol.