Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Tosh devoid of any real substance, loved by Americans because it is the nearest thing to history they have and loved by Brits because they love things that Americans love.

I've not seen the film so i cant really comment. Its hard to have a go at ddl he is a great actor, and one that chooses teh right films none of this 'Oh i love Johnny Depp cos he only does indy film' - Cough Cough wat about pirates of teh carribean!

:blink::unsure:

Its possible to know a film is good without watching it. I did not say 'i think' i was merely putting forward an opinion tht is shared by many popular film critics whose opinions i think are are spot on. This isnt meant to sound patronising and if i am wrong i apologise, U might not have seen - Citizen Kane or The Thrid Man but you know they are good films.

Its possible to know a film is good without watching it. I did not say 'i think' i was merely putting forward an opinion tht is shared by many popular film critics whose opinions i think are are spot on. This isnt meant to sound patronising and if i am wrong i apologise, U might not have seen - Citizen Kane or The Thrid Man but you know they are good films.

I strongly disagree.

Unless I have seen something I really have no understanding of it - and relying only on the opinions of others is not good enough when making statements about its relative level of competence.

I may factor in critic opinion into rating the order I watch films but I never rely on them as a definitive guide to whether something is good or not. I love film and I appreciate Kermode's knowledge but on this matter (and many others) we diverge on our appreciation. I feel he gets sucked into idol worship from time to time...and this film is a case in point, his perspective is warped. Far too often he forgets that the single main purpose of a film is to entertain/stimulate and my being impressed with DDL's latest voice was short-lived.

TWBB is a crafted piece of work, it has some glorious camera work and lighting - the distance shots are a joy...but (for me) once you get past the characters being in period dress and having funny voices there was little else.

Watch the film. :thumbup:

I strongly disagree.

Unless I have seen something I really have no understanding of it - and relying only on the opinions of others is not good enough when making statements about its relative level of competence.

I may factor in critic opinion into rating the order I watch films but I never rely on them as a definitive guide to whether something is good or not. I love film and I appreciate Kermode's knowledge but on this matter (and many others) we diverge on our appreciation. I feel he gets sucked into idol worship from time to time...and this film is a case in point, his perspective is warped. Far too often he forgets that the single main purpose of a film is to entertain/stimulate and my being impressed with DDL's latest voice was short-lived.

TWBB is a crafted piece of work, it has some glorious camera work and lighting - the distance shots are a joy...but (for me) once you get past the characters being in period dress and having funny voices there was little else.

Watch the film. :thumbup:

I agree about some of the things u say about Kermode, he does seem very self indulgiant at times.

I watched 'Grizzly Man' the other day. It is essential viewing it is clear to ee the man had a lot of emtional issues. The man did eventually get killed by Bears - good film

Ive got that film .Tis an amazing film to watch!! :thumbup:

Film4 had a film called something like"Dead mans shoes' which was on last night,(But i seended ages ago)

Its Brilliant.

Watch it if you can.

"I got you right there" :)

dms is a really good example of what uk films can be. Shane Meadows is a great director that is going places.

Film4 had a film called something like"Dead mans shoes' which was on last night,(But i seended ages ago)

Its Brilliant.

Watch it if you can.

"I got you right there" :)

Yes mate Shane meadows is one of my favourite directors someone should give him a decent budget though the blow up doll in the suitcase made me laugh in what was meant to be a serious moment. :giggle:

Yes mate Shane meadows is one of my favourite directors someone should give him a decent budget though the blow up doll in the suitcase made me laugh in what was meant to be a serious moment. :giggle:

What do you think of "This Is England" then?

Worth a go?