Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

19 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

When is Harris meant to join up with the squad?

After the Aussie season ends. Not sure when that is to be honest. Few weeks? Plays for Victoria and seem to have fixtures up until the 7th April at least. 

County 235-2 at tea v the Loughborough students.  Much better start than that 2017 game that we lost by an innings to them. Hasan Azad got 80 in that match for Loughborough and so wound up Charlie Shrek that he threatened to 'kill him' and got us deducted 16 points before the season had started!  There's a live stream:

https://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/livestream/index.html

• Haha 2

It appears I’m late to the news about Harris singing for Leicestershire, cracking signing that! Very similar player Chris Rogers - who arguably became a much better player in the County Championship than he was in Australia.

The Vics have one more Sheffield Shield game to go, but have struggled this season so won’t be part of the final. Although we have struggled, Harris has been the best player, looking very classy averaging around 70. 
I haven’t been down to watch any games live this year for obvious reasons, but from what I’ve seen on TV looks to be a player getting close to the top of his game.

Victoria’s final game gets underway on Saturday, so hopefully he’ll be over straight after that game.

• Like 3

Looks good. Harris in FC and Naveen and Inglis in t20s looks potent and well balanced.

Given he's a gloveman does that mean we won't see Swindells or Hill in the Blast? Swindells scored a useful 50 last season so I guess it depends on the strength of our other batsmen. Would expect the t20 side to look something like:

Inglis (w/k)

Steele

Lilley

Ackermann (C)

Welch

Dearden

Swindells

Mike

Parkinson

Klein/Davis/Griffiths

Naveen

6 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Looks good. Harris in FC and Naveen and Inglis in t20s looks potent and well balanced.

Given he's a gloveman does that mean we won't see Swindells or Hill in the Blast? Swindells scored a useful 50 last season so I guess it depends on the strength of our other batsmen. Would expect the t20 side to look something like:

Inglis (w/k)

Steele

Lilley

Ackermann (C)

Welch

Dearden

Swindells

Mike

Parkinson

Klein/Davis/Griffiths

Naveen

Not far off but I think Griffiths definitely starts. In place of Dearden

• Like 1

Anyone else baffled by where we suddenly find the money to sign high quality OS players?Only a couple of years ago we cancelled the traditional old players day because we  could not afford a few hundred pounds .Like  the government we seem to have found a magic money tree

• Like 2

3 hours ago, everton carr said:

Anyone else baffled by where we suddenly find the money to sign high quality OS players?Only a couple of years ago we cancelled the traditional old players day because we  could not afford a few hundred pounds .Like  the government we seem to have found a magic money tree

We've seen Horton and Cosgrove leave who were likely on reasonable wages.

Generally the domestic players we've brought in are (like most of the squad) younger and with much still to prove so I doubt any have broke the bank. Steele maybe the exception given Durham also offered him a deal.

You've then got to consider Harris, whilst he's as good a player as we're going to get for the first class competition he's not a player who is on the gravytrain of t20 franchise cricket nor a fully established (regular) international so unlikely to be a huge earner in comparison to others around the counties.

Inglis is also, whilst a very good t20 batsman, one who has not quite cracked franchise cricket yet. And I suspect sees us as an opportunity to show he can go to a different league and still deliver that strike rate and average. On his current trajectory we might not be able to afford him next year or the year after. He may also have been tempted by the fact he spent the first half of his life in Leeds so I'd assume still has family there/nearby so this is a good gig for him with a lot of upside.

I've also seen a couple counties (one was Derbyshire) announce that they'd made small profits last season even with Covid so perhaps we haven't come through as badly as some of the bigger counties.

14 hours ago, everton carr said:

Funny enough I was thinking exactly the same thing.