Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

17 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Why on earth do you want it to be shite? If it brings new audiences to cricket that is quite obviously a good thing.

Counties like ours only survive thanks to ECB handouts. 

Yep true. Shite is harsh but I don't really want to see Trent Bridge doing particularly well. Just a tribal thing I guess. Company I work for have purchased a lot of tickets for the oval  I will go if I can stay somewhere at that point. 

So I am a hypocrite. 

I agree we need the money 💰.  

24 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I requested the Fridays of the first two 4 day games we can go to. Sunny days, a piece of cake from the Meet, and a good old reminisce....

When do we hear about that anyone know? 

1 hour ago, CrawlingFox said:

Anyone know why Scott Steel isn't in the squad for tomorrow? Not sure I saw him in any of the pre season scorecards either?

Injured, white ball only or something else?

He was available but guess the others got the nod. He did bat for a whileci think against Northants. 

• Like 1

Marcus Harris currently playing his last game for Victoria, just been clean bowled for 15 attempting to play a big shot.

Hopefully heading over to join up with the Leicestershire lads by the end of this week. Not sure he’ll arrive in time for the first game.

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Marcus Harris currently playing his last game for Victoria, just been clean bowled for 15 attempting to play a big shot.

Hopefully heading over to join up with the Leicestershire lads by the end of this week. Not sure he’ll arrive in time for the first game.

Will he have to quarantine? First games today.

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Will he have to quarantine? First games today.

If the first games today, he’s got no chance only came off the field about an hour ago.

Not sure about quarantine, he’s coming from somewhere who have barely had a case in months, but will depend on British law.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

The Hundred shite money could’ve been used to market the blast better.

Its a load of bolloccs. Hope it does off.

The idea that a new format is going to attract new audiences is utter horseshit. Invest the money in an existing tournament that sells out stadiums with free to air TV involved. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

5D658194-06BA-4EA2-B059-ADE7FEF96E0E.jpeg

He's had a great season, hopefully can transfer it to English conditions. Apparently some of the Aussies are spending a little time with their families before coming over (Travis Head), but I don't know if Marcus fits into this category. Australia is not a 'red list' country, but generally 'elite' sportspeople have not had to quarantine after entering the UK. Therefore he should be available for selection on arrival if he passes a COVID test.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/07/full-stream-ahead-county-cricket-rolls-out-digital-revolution-for-championship

I've just discovered the ECB app, from which you can watch live streams and replays of all the domestic games, and see scorecards or listen to commentary.  

A far cry from waiting for Ceefax to update or I also remember calling a BT cricket line where you could get score updates or test match commentary.

4 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

that's what I thought when they invented twenty twenty

Twenty20 allowed new fans the chance to watch cricket in one of 18 different cities and towns (more if you include games at outgrounds) across the country. This will only really be in reach to people in the vicinity of seven different cities.

Twenty20 also provided a perfect opportunity for people like me to introduce non-cricket friends to cricket, with rules we at least understood. All the ECB have done since launching The Hundred is make out people like me are dinosaurs for not embracing what looks like a car crash of an idea. It simply will not work unless the majority of match-going cricket fans in this country buy into it.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The idea that a new format is going to attract new audiences is utter horseshit. Invest the money in an existing tournament that sells out stadiums with free to air TV involved. 

What the pandemic has shown is that cricket is still brilliant to watch on TV even without a live crowd, I mean the Aus v India series was fantastic drama. A big part of the thinking behind the Hundred is to create a new TV audience, which is why some matches are live, prime-time on BBC. With the lack of live cricket to go and watch I know of some devout red-ball only watchers who have even been tuning in to the Abu Dhabi T10 to get their cricket fix! Personally, I wish we could backtrack and just revamp the Blast, allow 3 or 4 overseas per team, more transfers just for that competition etc.

Im usually one for the 'stop being a dinosaur' brigade.

But to be honest I think this will be as much of a flop as that ridiculous thing they played at the Millennium stadium that time. city cricket or some shit.

If they'd just said '6 overseas players and one elite English player available for any county to bid for' for the Blast they'd have freshened it up nicely! (So for example Surrey could have signed Stokes rather than him just auto playing for Durham)

I've played the Hundred on cricket captain and it just felt rubbish, especially being based on number of balls and not traditional overs. At times the same bowler was allowed to bowl 10 balls in a row. Just all felt a bit weird.

22 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

that's what I thought when they invented twenty twenty

Which suggests 20 20 is a success. 

Yet here we are. ECBs answer to poor income within the county game is to relaunch a new format.   

What was stopping them slimlining the 2020 Blast into a tournament which attracted the top players, doing a significant sponsorship deal, showing games on free to air TV?  

Ive said repeatedly how here that the Blast has provided sell out crowds across the country. Rivalries such as Somerset v Gloucs, Worcs v Warwicks, Kent v Surrey, Hampshire v Sussex blossomed. 

Obviously the big balance right now is the counties need as many 2020 fixtures as possible but that’s not workable with getting star players over. However a lot of those overseas players coming over for the 100 have played in the Blast.

So what’s different from this tournament to the Blast? That’s going to make it the roaring success that can’t already be achieved with the existing tournament? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/07/full-stream-ahead-county-cricket-rolls-out-digital-revolution-for-championship

I've just discovered the ECB app, from which you can watch live streams and replays of all the domestic games, and see scorecards or listen to commentary.  

A far cry from waiting for Ceefax to update or I also remember calling a BT cricket line where you could get score updates or test match commentary.

Yep. Depending on how old you are used to be a telephone service back in the 80s you could ring to get an update!

57 minutes ago, Cake said:

Evans looks decent. 

Griffiths looks to have lost pace (probably just cold) bowling a lovely line of half volleys 

Yeh not kept it tight enough. These bowlers need to improve as there are few other options - erratic Klein or injury-prone Davis. Richard Rae already saying he's worried about us following-on