Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Madeleine McCann

I just don't understand the people who constantly criticise their parents, as though because of that we should never have looked for her or investigated the incident? At the centre of this is (was) a 3 year old child who doesn't deserve to just be forgotten about

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I just don't understand the people who constantly criticise their parents, as though because of that we should never have looked for her or investigated the incident? At the centre of this is (was) a 3 year old child who doesn't deserve to just be forgotten about

Yeah, obviously people go missing but abduction is completely different. And I doubt there's many abductions of 3 year old kids?

I wouldn't necessarily blame the parents as a whole but they do play a part. I'd never dream of leaving kids, especially that young, on their own.

• Like 2

The parents were definately guilty of an error of judgement for sure.

All the more suprising about their decision to dine without their children is that Portugal has to be about the most welcoming place I've been to in terms of kids in restaurants - much more so than here! There's no real good reason why they couldn't have dined as a family - surely that's what family holidays are all about?

However, having said that,  they paid the ultimate price for their error and have had their names dragged through the mud by keyboard warriors for years.

I find it astonishing that people can think they were involved in the death and concealment of their daughter when the theories are fanciful at best.

It seems the "crazies" claim that they killed her, intentionally or accidentally, and then managed to calmly come up with a plan to dipose of the body and then "raise the alarm" by claiming she'd been abducted. Are we really suggesting that on discovering her lifeless,  their reaction as doctors and parents was "quick lets get rid of the body and go out to dinner. Then later you go back to the room and come back and claim she's been abducted" - I don't buy it for a minute.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I get the joke but that’s a poor one.

Tbh it’s not actually a joke ..  but if a story about a missing girl from god knows how many years ago replaces, as a top story, a worldwide pandemic that is killing people as we speak and has turned the world upside down ..   then perhaps we have turned a corner ...  which, in a perverse sort of way,  is a positive thing. 

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

All the more suprising about their decision to dine without their children is that Portugal has to be about the most welcoming place I've been to in terms of kids in restaurants - much more so than here! There's no real good reason why they couldn't have dined as a family - surely that's what family holidays are all about?

However, having said that,  they paid the ultimate price for their error and have had their names dragged through the mud by keyboard warriors for years.

I find it astonishing that people can think they were involved in the death and concealment of their daughter when the theories are fanciful at best.

It seems the "crazies" claim that they killed her, intentionally or accidentally, and then managed to calmly come up with a plan to dipose of the body and then "raise the alarm" by claiming she'd been abducted. Are we really suggesting that on discovering her lifeless,  their reaction as doctors and parents was "quick lets get rid of the body and go out to dinner. Then later you go back to the room and come back and claim she's been abducted" - I don't buy it for a minute.

So instances like this does not get forgotten,for future ( it has to be said), parents who believe they know better ( These were seemingly 2 educated Doctors)

Didnt ask for a local Professional aupair/nanny/baby-sitter...Portugal,like Spain,France has offered such services for many decades..!!

Plus 13 years ago there were Baby Alarms...

If This had been 50 meters from their home,more understanding.

However this was in a total strange Land & location.

This is tragic,I have nothing but sympathy for the parents...There are however 3 Big, small words....Why,  If ..& but..!!

We Never left any of our 4  children,Sleeping or awake,alone in our House, Let alone Away from home...:dunno:

If future or present parents ,Let it even Cross their minds.....????!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I would agree with most of what you've said but sometimes, parents do need some time for themselves, myself included when our daughters were very young. I still believe they were confident of the check system they all agreed on, was reasonable given that their 2 children were within a 2-3 minute walk to be checked on. I've said before in this thread that they are talented, professional medical experts in their respective fields. Saving lives and preventing death is in their psyche, not to mention being loving parents with absolutely no history of unstable mental health or any other issues that might cause them to become infanticides.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

For those of you who say, that you have never left your children unattended, not even for half a minute.  Ever.    I have one question ...

If you're the only adult in the house, do you lock every door and window, every time you pop to the loo?

Because in 30 seconds some evil person could be in and out of your house, before you've done your zip up.

I'm not defending what the McCanns did, as they clearly shouldn't have left them alone for that long.   But as has been said, they've suffered more than most of us can imagine in our worst nighmares.

But I've heard a lot of pious and sanctimonious comments from people, who perhaps ought to have a little humility.

They’re a couple and were holidaying with their children,I do understand the point you make but in this situation your point is not relevant. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Should never of left their children and gone out for dinner without them, a truly ridiculous decision with horrendous consequences.

Tbh, most people who I've heard express that view aren't parents. 

Every single parent makes a major gaffe at some point

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Tbh, most people who I've heard express that view aren't parents. 

Every single parent makes a major gaffe at some point

Well I am, my 2 daughters are now 23 and 18.  
Most people who are parents would not leave their young children alone and go out for dinner, some things you just do not do, we always took ours out in their push chairs and they’d go to sleep in them. That’s why people struggle with them, they’re paying for that gaffe as you put it everyday of their lives and I do have sympathy with them for that, I do not know how I’d cope but come on I don’t know anyone who’d make that dreadful decision, it was crazy and I just can’t fathom what they must have been thinking.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

For those of you who say, that you have never left your children unattended, not even for half a minute.  Ever.    I have one question ...

If you're the only adult in the house, do you lock every door and window, every time you pop to the loo?

Because in 30 seconds some evil person could be in and out of your house, before you've done your zip up.

I'm not defending what the McCanns did, as they clearly shouldn't have left them alone for that long.   But as has been said, they've suffered more than most of us can imagine in our worst nighmares.

But I've heard a lot of pious and sanctimonious comments from people, who perhaps ought to have a little humility.

Your point makes what they actually did seem worse. You're saying that even if you take your eye off them for a minute in your own home to go for a piss or answer the phone, etc then someone could come in and snatch them. Well that makes leaving them in an empty apartment (with an unlocked door I think, can't recall), in a foreign country, whilst you eat dinner with your mates 100 yards away with no clear view of the apartment.

I know they suffered and I do feel sorry for them, because I'm sure they know more than anyone it was a stupid thing to do, but it indefensible in my eyes and we shouldn't be trying to. Someone mentioned above all parents make minor gaffe, of course they do, but this isn't a minor gaffe, it's a catastrophe, it's a monumental **** up, especially when you consider what you've said about taking your eyes off them for a brief second.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Your point makes what they actually did seem worse. You're saying that even if you take your eye off them for a minute in your own home to go for a piss or answer the phone, etc then someone could come in and snatch them. Well that makes leaving them in an empty apartment (with an unlocked door I think, can't recall), in a foreign country, whilst you eat dinner with your mates 100 yards away with no clear view of the apartment.

I know they suffered and I do feel sorry for them, because I'm sure they know more than anyone it was a stupid thing to do, but it indefensible in my eyes and we shouldn't be trying to. Someone mentioned above all parents make minor gaffe, of course they do, but this isn't a minor gaffe, it's a catastrophe, it's a monumental **** up, especially when you consider what you've said about taking your eyes off them for a brief second.

I think it’s possible to feel sorry for them but also despise them.

28 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

One thing I have never seen is any genuine grief from them, look at Denise Boulger and how she reacted when James went missing, you could see the pain and anguish go right into the depth of her soul, you didn't get thatcwithvthe Mccanns.

Lessons in how to grieve! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think it’s possible to feel sorry for them but also despise them.

Despise? That's helluva strong comment. 

I've seen them twice around and about over the years. Once on the great central Santa express with their twins.

I'd challenge anyone to try and 'despise' them when seen face to face.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Despise? That's helluva strong comment. 

I've seen them twice around and about over the years. Once on the great central Santa express with their twins.

I'd challenge anyone to try and 'despise' them when seen face to face.

Hmmm ok.

1 hour ago, joachim1965 said:

The most important job as a parent is to keep your kids safe.

They failed, if they had been from a council estate and not doctors they would have been charged for leaving their kids alone.

Yeah great, so you and the two others who quoted me what is the point you are trying to make? Or are you just wanting to have a dig at them?

43 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

One thing I have never seen is any genuine grief from them, look at Denise Boulger and how she reacted when James went missing, you could see the pain and anguish go right into the depth of her soul, you didn't get thatcwithvthe Mccanns.

Yeah, because as everybody knows human grief can be measured precisely by how somebody behaves in front of a TV camera. If only they’d done more media training, eh? People might feel more sorry for them then...

• Like 1