Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Madeleine McCann

I find it laughable that people place so much emphasis on the dog's signalling.

You'd have thought the scale of human incompetence on show throughout the case would remind them that humans, and indeed animals, are nowhere near infallible. If it had been backed up by the DNA evidence then it's a different story, but a barking dog is utterly meaningless in a court of law.

57 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Dogs are not as infallible as humans, they are trained to detect one thing, be that corpse odour, drugs or explosives.

I think you will find that they are pretty reliable at sniffing out their specific odour.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36041316

The use of sniffer dogs at Manchester Airport has been criticised after dogs there failed to discover any Class A drugs in a seven-month period.

But one dog, trained to detect illegal animal products, often found "small amounts of cheese or sausages" carried by holidaymakers, a report said.

The review, by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration, assessed border checks at the airport.

The Home Office, which oversees border checks, said improvements must be made.

Some recommendations had already been implemented, it added.

The report examined how "efficiently and effectively" Border Force - which is managed by the Home Office - operated at Manchester Airport.

The airport, the UK's third largest, has six detector dogs and new kennels, which cost £1.25m.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seriously if I saw a child of an age who would be her age now (15/16) and really thought it looks like her, I'd be quite uncomfortable in calling the local police about this suspicion.

Based on that if the police came and investigated the child in front of her family and analysis proved that this child in question isn't her, I'd feel bad in both wasting police time and also humiliating her family about this.

Like with the Ben Needham case, personally believe Madeleine is still alive via abductor.

Both cases have consisted of various areas being dug up etc, around the location and not too far beyond, without any indications of foul-play involving both individuals.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Seriously if I saw a child of an age who would be her age now (15/16) and really thought it looks like her, I'd be quite uncomfortable in calling the local police about this suspicion.

Based on that if the police came and investigated the child in front of her family and analysis proved that this child in question isn't her, I'd feel bad in both wasting police time and also humiliating her family about this.

Like with the Ben Needham case, personally believe Madeleine is still alive via abductor.

Both cases have consisted of various areas being dug up etc, around the location and not too far beyond, without any indications of foul-play involving both individuals.

I think the Ben Needham case is now believed to based around the theory that he was accidentally killed by a digger driver who was working nearby, and the body was concealed in "building waste"

In September 2016, police informed Kerry Needham that they had learned that a man from Kos had said that Konstantinos Barkas, a digger operator, now deceased, had told him that Ben had died in an accident, and that Barkas had hidden the body in building waste.[30] On 16 September police began a search for remains, in a different area from the one searched nearly four years earlier. Excavations were focused around a tree, apparently planted since Ben vanished. A replica of the sandals he had been wearing was being made, to see if they matched any found items.[31]

The excavation work ended on 16 October. More than 800 tonnes of soil had been dug up, with any items of interest sent back to the UK for forensic analysis.[32] DI Cousins said that one item which was found "close to an item dated to 1991" had been identified by the Needham family as being in Ben's possession at the time he went missing. Cousins said: "My team and I know that machinery, including a large digger, was used to clear an area of land on 24 July 1991, behind the farmhouse that was being renovated by the Needhams. It is my professional belief that Ben Needham died as a result of an accident near to the farmhouse in Iraklis where he was last seen playing. The recovery of this item, and its location, further adds to my belief that material was removed from the farmhouse on or shortly after the day that Ben disappeared."[7]

58 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36041316

The use of sniffer dogs at Manchester Airport has been criticised after dogs there failed to discover any Class A drugs in a seven-month period.

But one dog, trained to detect illegal animal products, often found "small amounts of cheese or sausages" carried by holidaymakers, a report said.

The review, by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration, assessed border checks at the airport.

The Home Office, which oversees border checks, said improvements must be made.

Some recommendations had already been implemented, it added.

The report examined how "efficiently and effectively" Border Force - which is managed by the Home Office - operated at Manchester Airport.

The airport, the UK's third largest, has six detector dogs and new kennels, which cost £1.25m.

My cousin was in cyprus during the gulf war using dogs that were trained for sniffing out explosives. Never found any, but they went ape-shit when they were near american troops because of the smell of weed. 

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Started watching this documentary.

Bit bored, really. Far too many snippets of live news interviews in the aftermath and random stranger accounts which is just inane information at the end of the day. 

It was 2 or 3 episodes too long I thought. 

How would you go forward in this type of investigation when all the leads have aalready been sought etc?

Don't know how much the Operation Madeleine (or what the investigation is called searching for her) Foundation get for her every 6 months or so in terms on search continuity and the costs of if - but feel the search should be closed unless any important leads/new information gets reported to the team leading the search imo.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

2 hours ago, bovril said:

It was 2 or 3 episodes too long I thought. 

yeah and stupidly the episodes they should definitely have cut were the first two. i’d have stopped watching half way thru ep 2 if it wasn’t for two or three posts in this thread saying ep 3 onwards got better. 

the last one was boring, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first part (ep. 1) of the documentary on Netflix.

I always thought the parents were involved but I also agree with the BBC correspondent in terms of how could all this happen without one single person seeing it. 

Portuguese reporter is nice considering she's called Sandra. 

I never thought they did anything other than badly neglect their children by leaving them unattended. Hopefully this documentary will actually change some people's minds.

Completely agree that the documentary dragged on. Felt like I was watching A Place in the Sun on episode two.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing the documentary, I take that kind of headline and news with a pinch of salt.

Probably means they're not closing in on new suspect, and they're not 'probing' a foreigner that was in the area. 

Also funny how there's suddenly 'news' about this when it's around another anniversary of when she went missing and her birthday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

More likely the police are seeking further funding to continue the investigation...

But who would blame them, as it would very likely be in the public interest to continue it?

4 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

But who would blame them, as it would very likely be in the public interest to continue it?

It's been a waste of money for years. It's over 12 years since she 'disappeared' and a police (taxpayer)cost of nearly £12m. As there is nearly £1m in Madelaine;s Fund any further expenditure should come from that.

• Like 1

Weirdly I was talking about this today and a thought hit me. They had 2 other kids in that room they are going to be 13/14 now. How fvcking awkward is that conversation going to be.

They probably don’t remember their sister and probably didn’t really understand what happened imagine now finding out that you had a sister but she was abducted while you were asleep because your parents left you alone in an unlocked room in a foreign country, and that’s if you ignore all the conspiracy shit.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

Weirdly I was talking about this today and a thought hit me. They had 2 other kids in that room they are going to be 13/14 now. How fvcking awkward is that conversation going to be.

They probably don’t remember their sister and probably didn’t really understand what happened imagine now finding out that you had a sister but she was abducted while you were asleep because your parents left you alone in an unlocked room in a foreign country, and that’s if you ignore all the conspiracy shit.

There won’t need to be a conversation. They’ll have been bombarded with questions about it from their classmates, investigators, etc their entire childhoods. I feel for them, the trauma won’t have left their mental health unscathed.

• 1 year later...

Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect
By Danny Shaw

Police have been searching for Madeleine McCann for over 13 years

A 43-year-old German prisoner who travelled around Portugal in a camper van is now the focus of Scotland Yard's investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Police believe he was in the area where the three-year-old was last seen in May 2007.

They are appealing for information about the van and the suspect's other vehicle, a Jaguar.

The man transferred it to someone else's name the day after she vanished.

"Someone out there knows a lot more than they're letting on,"said DCI Mark Cranwell, who's leading the Met inquiry.

The force said it remained a "missing persons" investigation because it doesn't have "definitive evidence" as to whether Madeleine is alive or not.

However, German investigators at the Federal Criminal Police Office, the Bundeskriminalamt (BKA), have classed it as a "murder inquiry".

Scotland Yard said the German authorities had taken the lead on this aspect of the case because the German suspect was in custody in their country.

Detectives said he was in jail for an "unrelated matter" and had "previous convictions", but they declined to supply more details.

'Critical' information

An appeal on German television was broadcast this evening at 19:15 BST.

DCI Cranwell said the prisoner, then aged 30, frequented the Algarve between 1995 and 2007, staying for "days upon end" in his camper van and living a "transient lifestyle".

He was in the Praia de Luz area where the McCann family was staying when she disappeared and received a phone call at 7.32pm, which ended at 8.02pm.

Police have released details of the suspect's phone number and the number he dialled saying any information about them could be "critical" to the inquiry.

"They're a key witness and we urge them to get in touch," said DCI Cranwell.

"Some people will know the man we're describing today... you may be aware of some of the things he's done," he said.

"He may have confided in you about the disappearance of Madeleine.

"More than 13 years have passed and your loyalties may have changed," he added.

"Now is the time to come forward."

Police said the suspect was one of 600 people that detectives on the inquiry, known as Operation Grange, originally looked at, though he had not been a suspect.

After an appeal in 2017, "significant" fresh information about him was provided.

Since then, Met detectives have carried out "extensive inquiries" in Portugal and Germany in order to gather more details about him.

Scotland Yard said they were trying to "prove or disprove" his involvement in the case and retained an "open mind".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52914016

• Like 1