Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Personally, my way of helping is to take them to a nearby café and buy them a meal (tbh, I've only done this three times). That's not me judging their habit, it's directing help in the most useful way, imo, because a junkie won't spend a penny on food himself.

Agree with both of you - and well done both. I honestly couldn't see myself taking someone for a meal, so hats off. I think it's criminal that we have so many people begging, cold, hungry and homeless. 

Which is why I think some kind of token system would be an excellent idea - £5/£10 that can be redeemed for food and/or shelter. 

I'd be happy that I'm not quite so blatantly supporting London's epic drug and crime epidemic, and some poor cold and hungry fella would get a hot meal or a bed. 

Maybe a bit idealistic - but I'm suprised  that there's not something in place like this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DB11 said:

Most of them aren’t homeless. They have a hostel or sometimes even a flat but they position themselves in tactical places during the day to beg and get money

It's a tough one. I go into and out of Euston every day and see 20+ beggars a day in the immediate vicinity of the station. There are a well known gang who operate in the area begging and pretending to be limp and frail when in actual fact they aren't at all. I also recently gave a chap some change on the way home as it was freezing and he said he couldn't afford a hostel. Watched him dart straight into Sainsburys and walk out with a pack of fags. He's there everyday with the same lines and now I gave him a few quid on one occasion he practically molests me every time I walk past.

My heart says help where possible but like everyone else I'm so cynical about who is genuine and who isn't. Coffee vouchers are a solid shout if you've got them.

It's the mother-in-law's birthday today, and she's gone out to one of those all-you-can-eat places. Poor buggers will be bankrupt by midnight.

I'm not kidding, she's that fat she has to get planning permission to go in the garden...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

It's a tough one. I go into and out of Euston every day and see 20+ beggars a day in the immediate vicinity of the station. There are a well known gang who operate in the area begging and pretending to be limp and frail when in actual fact they aren't at all. I also recently gave a chap some change on the way home as it was freezing and he said he couldn't afford a hostel. Watched him dart straight into Sainsburys and walk out with a pack of fags. He's there everyday with the same lines and now I gave him a few quid on one occasion he practically molests me every time I walk past.

My heart says help where possible but like everyone else I'm so cynical about who is genuine and who isn't. Coffee vouchers are a solid shout if you've got them.

I never really understood this point of view. I don't give money to the homeless, but if I did I wouldn't care what they spent it on. They're asking for money not coffee or sandwiches. 

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Australia just passed the Equal Marriage bill.

It has been a long, long journey. 

Related image

Good stuff.  Joining us in the 21st Century!  Makes me happy, as I am likely moving to Australia in the next two years, and I am socially liberal.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Buce said:

It's the mother-in-law's birthday today, and she's gone out to one of those all-you-can-eat places. Poor buggers will be bankrupt by midnight.

I'm not kidding, she's that fat she has to get planning permission to go in the garden...

You love her really ...   go on admit it ...   :)

And by the way ...   its my fire breathing dragons birthday today as well !! ...    spooky ..    surely not ! ...   :o

No ..  hang on ..   yours was yesterday ...   phew !!  :sweating:

17 hours ago, Buce said:

And for the avoidance of doubt here's mine trying on her shroud ...  

IMG_2769.jpg

Edited by Countryfox

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ideally Perth, as it is my wife's hometown, but as ever depends on work.  If I can get relocated by my company it would be Sydney, if our own cash we choose Perth but only if I can get a job!

Cool, well its a goodish time to buy in Perth, we've had quite a fall in property prices and Sydney is OBSCENE price wise. I assume if her family is here, you are pretty up to date with whats going on here...Im an hour east of Perth, so if i can assist, feel free to give me a shout.

On 05/12/2017 at 21:47, DB11 said:

Most of them aren’t homeless. They have a hostel or sometimes even a flat but they position themselves in tactical places during the day to beg and get money

If they're in a hostel or sofa surfing with a friend or whatever else, they're still homeless. 

There's a distinction between being homeless and being a rough sleeper. 

Homelessness is an enormously broad and complicated spectrum of issues. Not all rough sleepers are begging or even "positioned tactically", a hell of a lot are hidden because they don't want to be moved on or messed with. 

Even some of those you see in town that are visible aren't necessarily begging, some take the opposite approach and would just rather be out in the open so as to be less vulnerable to assault. 

(I'm actually sat with our city's homeless statistics in front of me and a housing options officer next to me.) 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Australia just passed the Equal Marriage bill.

It has been a long, long journey. 

Related image

Much like marriage itself.

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

And for the avoidance of doubt here's mine trying on her shroud ...  

IMG_2769.jpg

Amazing what a difference you can make with the right software - she looks almost human!

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If they're in a hostel or sofa surfing with a friend or whatever else, they're still homeless. 

There's a distinction between being homeless and being a rough sleeper. 

Homelessness is an enormously broad and complicated spectrum of issues. Not all rough sleepers are begging or even "positioned tactically", a hell of a lot are hidden because they don't want to be moved on or messed with. 

Even some of those you see in town that are visible aren't necessarily begging, some take the opposite approach and would just rather be out in the open so as to be less vulnerable to assault. 

(I'm actually sat with our city's homeless statistics in front of me and a housing options officer next to me.) 

Don't you come on here with your FACTS.  Jesus.

It is an interesting discussion - I find it hard to see my family could ever be homeless, becuase we would always have someone who would welcome us.  I suppose it is a question of what you define as home.

Edited by Jon the Hat

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Don't you come on here with your FACTS.  Jesus.

It is an interesting discussion - I find it hard to see my family could ever be homeless, becuase we would always have someone who would welcome us.  I suppose it is a question of what you define as home.

If you're not named on a tenancy, leasehold, freehold, mortgage agreement etc and have no legal rights to a residence then you're homeless. 

The guys in the homeless team (namely this guy sat next to me) love to point out we're all only a few steps from homelessness. 

Whilst technically true and I was, technically, homeless for a few days recently between contracts (slept in my dad's spare room) - I think a lot of us are many steps away from rough sleeping to be fair. 

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I'm seriously hoping your missus was adopted, CF.

You've got it Bucey ...   her and her real life brother were indeed adopted ..   he's a lovely chap ..   this is an early shot when they were introduced to their new parents ..  

IMG_2768.JPG

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

You've got it Bucey ...   her and her real life brother were indeed adopted ..   he's a lovely chap ..   this is an early shot when they were introduced to their new parents ..  

IMG_2768.JPG

lol

Did you ever watch The League Of Gentleman?

Straight out of Royston Vasey, the lot of 'em.