Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On 30/03/2024 at 19:06, StanSP said:

When you compare it to the rest of the options, it's the highest. 

Maybe that's semantics then. It's the most popular single religion that people believe in. Agree with you it has reduced, but it's still the highest. 

That figure is way off as well. 40% is people who would christen their baby, celebrate easter and christmas but then live life normally the rest of the time. I reckon it’s closer to 5-10% of the UK are practising, church going believers and that’s probably an overestimation. 

I agree Christianity is ridiculed way more than other religions but the bible tells us that thats how it will be so that doesn’t bother me. 

I do get annoyed by the intellectually lazy scoffers though, not because I can’t take a joke but because it annoys me how foolish the people are who bolster their unbelief with that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

I read many moons ago that Britain was the most agnostic and secular country on the planet.

That may well have been the case.

However, so many other cultures have now made their home here and have, inevitably, brought along their own Gods and beliefs. With this comes the physical manifestation too. Mosques, Temples and so on.

What was, to a greater extent, a non religous country with Christian beliefs, is now no longer the case.

How I am reading Dawkins piece is, and I see his point to put it simply and crudely; I don't believe in all this but if it has to be, then it ought to be a predominantly Christian ethos. That is our tradition.

7 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I read many moons ago that Britain was the most agnostic and secular country on the planet.

That may well have been the case.

However, so many other cultures have now made their home here and have, inevitably, brought along their own Gods and beliefs. With this comes the physical manifestation too. Mosques, Temples and so on.

What was, to a greater extent, a non religous country with Christian beliefs, is now no longer the case.

How I am reading Dawkins piece is, and I see his point to put it simply and crudely; I don't believe in all this but if it has to be, then it ought to be a predominantly Christian ethos. That is our tradition.

I haven't read much of Dawkins but I understand he believes religion to be at best delusion and at worse fanaticism, and likens bringing up children in a religion to child abuse.

For him to then come out and basically say "well I quite like these Christian traditions and living in a Christian country" is absolutely hilarious and imo invalidates everything he has previously written.

Edited by bovril

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

I haven't read much of Dawkins but I understand he believes religion to be at best delusion and at worse fanaticism, and likens bringing up children in a religion to child abuse.

For him to then come out and basically say "well I quite like these Christian traditions and living in a Christian country" is absolutely hilarious and imo invalidates everything he has previously written.

Everything he had written on religion and philosophy was toilet paper at best anyway - him and Hitchens were the best at sophistry and missing the point in their arguments their are much better (still wrong) atheist debaters out there, just less popular because they actually try and deal with the argument.

• Haha 2

Guest leatherhead32
On 10/03/2024 at 16:44, LCFCCHRIS said:

Cyclists that undertake on the path when traffic stops giving way at parked cars etc, then re-enter the road. This means you have to re-overtake those morons every time. 

i cycle when possible  as cant drive.  ,  but wish more of us would respect the motorist instead of annoying them, after all most show us care and attention and have a lot  more to think about than us  

Guest leatherhead32
1 hour ago, leatherhead32 said:

i cycle when possible  as cant drive.  ,  but wish more of us would respect the motorist instead of annoying them, after all most show us care and attention and have a lot  more to think about than us  

ps bit of advice from one who knows , i was hit by a van few year ago, leg was mess bn left with ltd mobility BUT i hold no ill will against driver , he was charged etc as i did nothing wrong , i guess i was just a bloke he wanted to pass on way home and apparently lost control. im lucky to be alive and changed my outlook on life . we were both in terrible state  him staring at me unable t0 take it in poor chap police told me later he was in shock like me. i felt for him as he made a split second error. i hope hes ok and as text i get it was a moment of ... well i dont know . just try and go past bikes careful as your in a big  lump of metal at speed ! cyclist and walkers have little  hope , and honest you will feel like said guy if like him your a decent person  and most are. we are a pain even when we ride /rode like me ie plod along . just want to help you all before too late. :wub:

4 hours ago, bovril said:

What I dislike about the criticism of Christianity in the UK firstly is that I find it very cowardly as, as others have pointed out, criticism of other faiths is seen as much more taboo.

But also because it focuses (deliberately I think) very much on the theology and ignores religion as community, sense of belonging, tradition and a moral framework for individuals and communities. "Hurr durr sky fairy nonsense" really isn't an adequate argument when sitting in a country that for 1400 years has been Christian and whose society, traditions and beliefs have been hugely shaped by that. 

It also assumes when Christianity has gone away in the UK that void will be filled by something more enlightened, which I doubt.

That's why I call myself a Christian or secular Christian. The Jews I know have a better relationship with their religion. It doesn't seem particularly important to be a 'believer'. I think there is much on offer from the Christian tradition. My interpretation is that performing Christianity is much more about values and how we conduct ourselves. I like to say the Lord's prayer once a week. 

I think it's entirely possible to have a set of moral principles without being in any way religious but just rejecting 'sky fairies' is not a way to do that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

That's why I call myself a Christian or secular Christian. The Jews I know have a better relationship with their religion. It doesn't seem particularly important to be a 'believer'. I think there is much on offer from the Christian tradition. My interpretation is that performing Christianity is much more about values and how we conduct ourselves. I like to say the Lord's prayer once a week. 

I think it's entirely possible to have a set of moral principles without being in any way religious but just rejecting 'sky fairies' is not a way to do that. 

Ironically enough, it's entirely possible to be religious without in any way having a set of moral principles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bovril said:

I haven't read much of Dawkins

Kinda invalidates any opinion you hold on his writing then

Edited by Daggers
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Ironically enough, it's entirely possible to be religious without in any way having a set of moral principles.

Exhibit A: Marjorie Taylor Greene and almost all of the people who back her.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think American Evangelicals are baffling to most Christians. 

You would think so considering they are pretty much the antithesis of the values talked about in the New Testament.

But that being said, they do both state their faith pretty explicitly and have enough numbers and command enough policymaking power to imprint the values they think it represents on others, so...

• Like 1

When people have to tell you they won't click on a news link because it's a particular newspaper. We get it, you don't the like the sun, the fail, the grauniad whatever, you don't have to post it. Depriving them 0.4p of your ad revenue will make them reconsider their model I'm sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

When people have to tell you they won't click on a news link because it's a particular newspaper. We get it, you don't the like the sun, the fail, the grauniad whatever, you don't have to post it. Depriving them 0.4p of your ad revenue will make them reconsider their model I'm sure.

These people act as if it's not already obvious from whatever they've put in their bio too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The tired and nonsensical argument that ‘the modern game is boring’

Another breathless match in the premier league, this is entertainment 

Nostalgia merchants are so boring.

I saw a clip of Arsenal vs Chelsea in 03/04 and the quality is shit for how good the players were

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I saw a clip of Arsenal vs Chelsea in 03/04 and the quality is shit for how good the players were

Rose tinted thinking affects a lot of what goes on today, football and otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

True. And strangely enough I did similar yesterday. Saw Mcallisters goal for Liverpool and thought this could be an iconic title winning moment, similar to when Gerrard scored in the CL in 2004 and they went on to win it.

Look HOW MUCH TIME AND SPACE HE HAS JUST OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!  No one closing him down,  no desire or fitness. Terrible athletes. The game was of such a poor quality, only a few years ago!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMjNN88m5o

Edited by grobyfox1990
put the link in
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

True. And strangely enough I did similar yesterday. Saw Mcallisters goal for Liverpool and thought this could be an iconic title winning moment, similar to when Gerrard scored in the CL in 2004 and they went on to win it.

Look HOW MUCH TIME AND SPACE HE HAS JUST OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!  No one closing him down,  no desire or fitness. Terrible athletes. The game was of such a poor quality, only a few years ago!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMjNN88m5o

I'm quite extreme in how much better the game is now. To the point if you dropped a decent-ish PL player, say Pedro Neto into 2002 they'd be one of the best in the world, such has the individual player's technical ability, awareness, composure and decision making improved.

When you watch how even L1 and L2 teams play out under pressure I think they'd blow PL sides from a couple of decades ago away.

The development of pressing over the year in particular has improved the game so much. Now sides have to get ever better under pressure which makes possession play better in turn.

• Like 1