Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Presumably you packed a selection of mankinis in your hand luggage for just such an eventuality ? 

As this is actually my stag do, we were lucky the gimp masks were packed in hand luggage. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Adverts that are double the volume of the programme. F off I’ll just mute them then. 

I'll tag along films where the dialogue sounds like a whisper but any action scenes or music sounds louder than a fighter plane.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Adverts that are double the volume of the programme. F off I’ll just mute them then. 

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'll tag along films where the dialogue sounds like a whisper but any action scenes or music sounds louder than a fighter plane.

Adverts seem to be deliberately louder than the thing you're watching.

Found this:

Strictly speaking they're not turning the volume up, they mastering the audio to be louder. The peaks are no higher but the lows have been raised to be closer to the peaks (and everything in between has been squashed accordingly), so it sounds like the volume has been turned up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

Adverts seem to be deliberately louder than the thing you're watching.

Found this:

Strictly speaking they're not turning the volume up, they mastering the audio to be louder. The peaks are no higher but the lows have been raised to be closer to the peaks (and everything in between has been squashed accordingly), so it sounds like the volume has been turned up.

Yep, it’s called compression - used in audio production forever. The idea is if that you squash the peaks in an audio wave and then, as the loudest parts are quieter, you can raise the overall level of the wave. It is very useful for things like bass, where you typically want a consistent level throughout as the bass usually forms an important component of the rhythm of a piece of music. 

TV adverts have been horrendously over-compressed for years, with the specific intent of slamming the message into the viewers cerebral cortex to make them buy whatever is being advertised.  I can’t stand it. It’s also very often over-used in modern music production, to make the perceived volume of a song to be as high as possible. The same crappy attention-seeking as TV ads.

41 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Inconsistencies with regards to having a 'pop' at religion.

I'm not at all religious, in fact I feel its a pity they exist. My thoughts are immaterial however.

What irratates me - and there are currently examples elsewhere on this forum - is some are fair game to be mocked/rediculed. With it being Easter, these are currently prevelant of course.

They are accepted.

However, other faiths seem to be ring fenced from similar humour.

A post demonstrating inconsistances with Christian doctrine, stays on the boards. A previous post showing a dozen Muslim women in full burka having their photograph taken with the caption 'Smile please' gets deleted.

I cannot understand this.

I think because we're a Christian country so poking fun at 'our' religion is fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I'm not at all religious, in fact I feel its a pity they exist. My thoughts are immaterial however.

What irratates me - and there are currently examples elsewhere on this forum - is some are fair game to be mocked/rediculed. With it being Easter, these are currently prevelant of course.

They are accepted.

A post demonstrating inconsistances with Christian doctrine, stays on the boards. A previous post showing a dozen Muslim women in full burka having their photograph taken with the caption 'Smile please' gets deleted.

I find the hostility and ridicule towards Christianity in Britain quite dispiriting to be honest. 

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

I think because we're a Christian country so poking fun at 'our' religion is fine. 

Practising Christians are nowhere near a majority here.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I find the hostility and ridicule towards Christianity in Britain quite dispiriting to be honest. 

I consider myself a (secular) Christian. I doubt there are many better countries to be in when it comes to freedom of religion. 

In what way do you feel there's hostility and ridicule towards Christianity?

3 hours ago, bovril said:

How do you know? 

UK 2021 census shows a huge overwhelming majority for Christians (46.2%). Next highest is 'no religion' 37.2%. Even if you factored in those who identify as Christian but don't practice it, it would still be a huge majority. 

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How do you know? 

UK 2021 census shows a huge overwhelming majority for Christians (46.2%). Next highest is 'no religion' 37.2%. Even if you factored in those who identify as Christian but don't practice it, it would still be a huge majority. 

46.2% is not a majority. I believe 2021 was the first time it was under 50%. 20 years ago it was 71%. 

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

46.2% is not a majority. I believe 2021 was the first time it was under 50%. 20 years ago it was 71%. 

When you compare it to the rest of the options, it's the highest. 

Maybe that's semantics then. It's the most popular single religion that people believe in. Agree with you it has reduced, but it's still the highest. 

8 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

They are accepted.

Sort of a case of my man made god is better than the man made god you lot over there made up 

• Like 1

Driving back from.Luton Airport( What a shithole btw).

1)Customs checks. Thanks to all you Brexit voters, it's a frcking nightmare.

2) Tw@ts who stay in lane 2, 3 and even 4 chundling along regardless.

I even resorted to under taking as I couldnt be arsed going around them cruising along nonchalantly  at 60mph.

• Like 4

people who stand and chat to the bus driver , then again what harm can it do its only 5 times plus size of a yank tank so only 50 lives at stake , its blokes who do it but saw a young women do it other day , cmon ladies your better than that, take a seat and eat your bar of chocolate  :yesyes: mainly blokes again who chat to the shop keeper but 2bf no harm doing and i love being stared at by nosey barstewards.........when im buying a bar of chocolate for the bus ride:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, leatherhead32 said:

people who stand and chat to the bus driver , then again what harm can it do its only 5 times plus size of a yank tank so only 50 lives at stake , its blokes who do it but saw a young women do it other day , cmon ladies your better than that, take a seat and eat your bar of chocolate  :yesyes: mainly blokes again who chat to the shop keeper but 2bf no harm doing and i love being stared at by nosey barstewards.........when im buying a bar of chocolate for the bus ride:rolleyes:

Is spitting still banned on buses?

Used to be a sign prohibiting it, back in the day.

Also a sign saying "no standing on the upper deck". As if the bus might topple over.

• Haha 1

Leicester council earning their money again.

Got a water leak outside our house, been informed by severn trent it's connected to 3 houses, one being my own, one of the other 2 is a council house so been told to contact them before organising a repair job. Ring them up..."We've been hit by a cyber attack"

It needs sorting within a week or severn send out a team to "fix" it with an open ended bill, with no guarentee the place will look the same after they're done digging everything up.

Wtf do I do now. :unsure:

3 pm yesterday - "We are going to walk the league!"

10 pm yesterday - "We're useless, going to lose in the playoffs." 

And we hadn't even played between these times.

:facepalm:

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2