Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

18 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I'm quite extreme in how much better the game is now. To the point if you dropped a decent-ish PL player, say Pedro Neto into 2002 they'd be one of the best in the world, such has the individual player's technical ability, awareness, composure and decision making improved.

When you watch how even L1 and L2 teams play out under pressure I think they'd blow PL sides from a couple of decades ago away.

The development of pressing over the year in particular has improved the game so much. Now sides have to get ever better under pressure which makes possession play better in turn.

Agreed.

The advances in training regimen and overall fitness are largely responsible for this, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'm quite extreme in how much better the game is now. To the point if you dropped a decent-ish PL player, say Pedro Neto into 2002 they'd be one of the best in the world, such has the individual player's technical ability, awareness, composure and decision making improved.

When you watch how even L1 and L2 teams play out under pressure I think they'd blow PL sides from a couple of decades ago away.

The development of pressing over the year in particular has improved the game so much. Now sides have to get ever better under pressure which makes possession play better in turn.

The quality is much better but I find football much less enjoyable. If it's described as "boring" I would guess that's a lot to do with the over saturation and hype in the media.

But generally I agree when I watch lower league highlights now it is quite remarkable how much better they are on the ball than Prem teams of the 90s. 

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

The quality is much better but I find football much less enjoyable. If it's described as "boring" I would guess that's a lot to do with the over saturation and hype in the media.

But generally I agree when I watch lower league highlights now it is quite remarkable how much better they are on the ball than Prem teams of the 90s. 

It's way more refined which is what is more boring, e.g Ferguson's 2008 United side were much more fun, because they were less structured and just blew teams away. Pep's Barca were more predictable, more stifling but because of that they were way better.

As analytics has really taken hold, the average shot distance is much shorter, there's fewer crosses - it is more stilted but it increases the quality. Less variation, slightly less interesting but the 'product' is better than ever. English football is more interesting by default imo too which helps.

• Like 1

Maybe one for the car thread but I saw a car with a £300 admin fee:

2019 Red Vauxhall Astra 1.4i Turbo GPF Design Hatchback 5dr Petrol Auto Euro 6 (s/s) (150 ps) for sale for £12,300 in Addington, Kent (autotrader.co.uk)

What possible justification could there ever be for such a ridiculously extortionate fee? I can't believe anyone would pay it.

On 03/04/2024 at 14:05, leicsmac said:

You would think so considering they are pretty much the antithesis of the values talked about in the New Testament.

Just finished reading between two worlds - about the first puritan settlers in America. Explains a lot...

• Like 1

Interview rejections.

No matter how much I prepare for one and do my best in them, the 'rejections' I get is hard to get rid of - as in the high level of 'self-analysis'.

Had 3 since October and trying hard not to count how many until I get another opportunity (currently in employment).

Any advice on this, from @Izzy etc., would certainly be appreciated.

Edited by Wymsey

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Interview rejections.

No matter how much I prepare for one and do my best in them, the 'rejections' I get is hard to get rid of - as in the high level of 'self-analysis'.

Had 3 since October and trying hard not to count how many until I get another opportunity (currently in employment).

It’s tough mate. My wife recently got down to the last two candidates for two different roles and missed out on both of them. It hit her hard and she’s driving herself mad with the ‘self-analysis’ thing.

I’m afraid I’m a big believer in fate and everything happens for a reason. You’ll obviously prepare best you can and try your best, but then it’s in the lap of the gods.

All you can do is be true to yourself and honest I think. Authenticity will always serve you best IMHO.

I’m no expert when it comes to interview tips and techniques though but there’s loads of YT channels on the subject.

You’ll land the role you’re supposed to land when you’re supposed to land it, so in the meantime, remind yourself of your strengths and operate from the place of your core values and principles.

And whatever you do, don’t change for anyone. Be yourself and love yourself.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Running an Etsy page and having Royal Mail constantly let you down.

Might as well strike every week, the useless twats. 

My heart always sinks when something you have ordered online comes by RM. It feels like a 50:50 if it will arrive at all, let alone in a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Interview rejections.

See being offered an interview as a positive in itself, you're clearly doing something right to have been offered 3 in the space of 6 months, when plenty won't have even been considered whatsoever. Sounds like you're ina. good position being employed, too. Keep at it and good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2024 at 20:52, Wymsey said:

Interview rejections.

One thing I would note is that many places have the position filled internally already, and simply advertise/interview externally due to law. 

Best of luck with your job search, it's such a demoralising process.

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2024 at 20:52, Wymsey said:

Interview rejections.

Depending on the industry, a lot of companies put vacancies out with no intention of filling them, use it for market research et al so don't feel disheartened 

Guest leatherhead32
10 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

Depending on the industry, a lot of companies put vacancies out with no intention of filling them, use it for market research et al so don't feel disheartened 

yep or the its jobs for the boys at the golf club , freemasons, kinda idea . but keep at it anyone who aint in a clique you will come good at some point.

3 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Rachel Riley and people like her who allow themselves to become radicalised and the way it's their voices that end up getting amplified by the media.

I can think of a few celebs that this has happened to. I think they were probably quite narcissistic to begin with which led them to overshare on social media, but also quite unused to being challenged. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpacedX said:

No idea what she's gravitated towards or leant support to since I pay no attention to her whatsoever, but if it results in the end of this utterly bizarre fixation on this forum on behalf of some of its members, then that can only be a good thing. 

Allegedly spouting Islamophobic-related content. One tweet recently she alluded what happened in Sydney to it, despite it not involving Muslims. She overstepped the mark with her prejudice and soon backtracked. 

"The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large. The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right. Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."

And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper."

The consequences of digital information flow are becoming more and more stark - another example is what @The Doctor just put in the News thread. I fear where it all leads.

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Allegedly spouting Islamophobic-related content. One tweet recently she alluded what happened in Sydney to it, despite it not involving Muslims. She overstepped the mark with her prejudice and soon backtracked. 

Ah. That's social media for you, the desperate need for recognition and the inclination towards opinion over fact. What a ridiculous thing to do without being in possession of them. 

2 hours ago, SpacedX said:

if it results in the end of this utterly bizarre fixation on this forum on behalf of some of its members

58 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Allegedly spouting Islamophobic-related content

So that'll be a no then lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I wouldn't say it was allegedly, she just started tweeting like she'd been possessed by the spirit of Nick Griffin 

• Like 1