Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

If you're on this forum your IQ is at the very least in the top 50th percentile. Everybody jokes FT is full of thickos but the vast majority of posters can string a sentence together.

Stupid people can barely write coherently.

I was pleasantly surprised when I joined to find so many well educated, witty and knowledgeable people posting on here in all sorts of topics. 

That's why this is the best football forum by far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I was pleasantly surprised when I joined to find so many well educated, witty and knowledgeable people posting on here in all sorts of topics. 

That's why this is the best football forum by far.

That’s why all our FT posts are so high on QIs crossed with IQs

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

If you're on this forum your IQ is at the very least in the top 50th percentile. Everybody jokes FT is full of thickos but the vast majority of posters can string a sentence together.

Stupid people can barely write coherently.

Now there's a depressing thought lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Online booking systems.

Booked windscreen repair for today, confirmation email etc all through.

It gets to the end of the time window, call up and the online system accepted the booking but never localised it to a technician :angry:

On 11/03/2024 at 09:34, Nod.E said:

What really grinds my gears is how thick most people are. 

I used to consider myself to be of around average intelligence. I still do not think I am particularly intelligent, it's just that the vast majority of people are thick. 

I should not be in the 25th to 30th percentile, but I probably am. It's infuriating dealing with other people being consistently disappointing without being especially impressive yourself. 

Either I've somehow surrounded myself by a disproportionate volume of dense people, or intellect doesn't follow the normal distribution that logic would dictate.

Constant state of helplessness.

I think common sense goes further than intelligence.

Alot of people don't have common sense.

I know plenty of people more intelligent than me, but they don't have common sense.*

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know plenty of people more intelligent than me, but they don't have common sense.*

You didn’t footnote your asterix. 

3 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

You didn’t footnote your asterix. 

Hmmm that's ironic and embarrassing** :ph34r: :crylaugh:

It was supposed to go on to say "I bet they'd say the opposite".

**Blame it on the Guinness

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think that's extremely situation dependent.

Some of the greatest discoveries that have advanced humanity in the greatest ways were discovered by folks who had the square sum of naff all common sense. Newton being one big example.

NB. Of course, it often then takes common sense to apply those discoveries in a positive way.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I think you're talking about IQ vs EQ.

My daughter has a very high IQ and is academically brilliant but she's got no self awareness, lacks empathy and doesn't have much common sense (EQ).

My son is getting shit grades and wouldn't be classed as 'IQ intelligent' but he's emotionally way ahead for his age and is a real people person. His instincts are spot on and he has common sense in abundance (EQ).

The old book smart vs street smart debate and ideally you want a bit of both in life I guess.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think that's extremely situation dependent.

Some of the greatest discoveries that have advanced humanity in the greatest ways were discovered by folks who had the square sum of naff all common sense. Newton being one big example.

NB. Of course, it often then takes common sense to apply those discoveries in a positive way.

In Newton's defence, he had an awful childhood, without parents, and was socially inept throughout life. He was unable to make friends easily, never married, and almost certainly had what today would be called Asperger's syndrome. But he made the very best of his unfortunate situation by using his mind to be the equal of, or to outshine, all the other outstanding scientists and mathematicians of the time, including Leibniz, Hooke and the Bernoulli brothers. One example of his genius was to solve the problem of the fastest descent curve within just a few hours. Newtonian mechanics are at the heart of much of classical physics, and without him we'd have no gravity!      

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

In Newton's defence, he had an awful childhood, without parents, and was socially inept throughout life. He was unable to make friends easily, never married, and almost certainly had what today would be called Asperger's syndrome. But he made the very best of his unfortunate situation by using his mind to be the equal of, or to outshine, all the other outstanding scientists and mathematicians of the time, including Leibniz, Hooke and the Bernoulli brothers. One example of his genius was to solve the problem of the fastest descent curve within just a few hours. Newtonian mechanics are at the heart of much of classical physics, and without him we'd have no gravity!      

Newton had an incredible mind - one that is only seen once every few centuries. But he was also exactly as you say socially and I do think it highlights my point that some of the greatest minds ever didn't possess much of what some folks would call "common sense" - yet the world is s much much better place for them being here.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I mean, this makes it sound like prior to Newton everyone was just floating everywhere 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

I spent over a decade teaching children that Newton was raised on a farm in Suffolk and used to have sex with sheep as part of a history of science thing I did. If anyone ever hears someone spreading this complete myth then you can thank me. You’re all welcome. All my other historical anecdotes were fact, I threw this in for my own amusement. 

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I mean, this makes it sound like prior to Newton everyone was just floating everywhere 

At junior school, I vaguely remember learning that Newton invented both gravity and rainbows! Maybe that sentence is missing the phrase 'the theory of'. (Brian May always reminds me of Newton, for some reason.) 

On 12/03/2024 at 22:40, kenny said:

Do you live in a blast furnace?

I'd make a joke about the Ms having the heating on all the time but even she's aghast

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, String fellow said:

At junior school, I vaguely remember learning that Newton invented both gravity and rainbows! Maybe that sentence is missing the phrase 'the theory of'. (Brian May always reminds me of Newton, for some reason.) 

Reminds me of people who say Franklin "invented" electricity. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Annoying isn't it, obvious to anyone Tesla invented it. 

If anyone should be credited with 'inventing' electricity, my choice would be the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery way back in 1799. Arguably, this was one of the greatest inventions ever, and finally disproved Luigi Galvani's idea that electricity was somehow produced by fluid in animals to bring about muscle movements.

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If anyone should be credited with 'inventing' electricity, my choice would be the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery way back in 1799. Arguably, this was one of the greatest inventions ever, and finally disproved Luigi Galvani's idea that electricity was somehow produced by fluid in animals to bring about muscle movements.

He didn’t, you know. 

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

He didn’t, you know. 

Galvani believed that frogs' legs muscle movements were caused by electricity somehow produced in the pelvis. Volta believed that the response was caused by salt in the muscle acting as an an electrolyte between the two different metals in contact with it at the time, a scalpel and perhaps a copper dish. It was this insight that resulted in his invention of the battery.