Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, bovril said:

Thankfully I think there's just enough legroom between 'I expect my flag to be faithfully represented on the shirt of my national team' and 'genocide'. 

And I would agree.

Sadly, history shows there's rather a lot of both people and examples of taking things like national symbolism and what it means and running rather too far with it.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

And I would agree.

Sadly, history shows there's rather a lot of both people and examples of taking things like national symbolism and what it means and running rather too far with it.

Lots of examples from history also of people keeping alive national symbols and culture in the struggle against historical oppressors. 

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Lots of examples from history also of people keeping alive national symbols and culture in the struggle against historical oppressors. 

... who were driven by the sentiment that their national symbols and culture were better and wanted to keep them alive.

Has such sentiment done good? Yeah.

Does it make up for the horrible stuff that's been done because of it? No and I don't think it's even close.

But then that's just my take and I can't quantify it, and I know a lot of others clearly think differently.

I'll leave my own thoughts at that because I don't want to clog up the thread further.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... who were driven by the sentiment that their national symbols and culture were better and wanted to keep them alive.

Has such sentiment done good? Yeah.

Does it make up for the horrible stuff that's been done because of it? No and I don't think it's even close.

But then that's just my take and I can't quantify it, and I know a lot of others clearly think differently.

I'll leave my own thoughts at that because I don't want to clog up the thread further.

The history of the world for better or worse is the history of different groups of people united by language, culture and symbols. That will never change. 

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

There was absolutely no reason to do it, if the justification is why does it matter, why do it its the first place?

Clever stunt from Nike as now they can oh-so-heroically own the gammons

Just another pointless gimmick of modern kits. The GK kit from 2012 had a load of blue crosses on it. 

I don’t know what people moaning think it represents

2 hours ago, bovril said:

This is quite naive. National symbols like flags are important to people. I assume you've travelled to other countries and observed this.

It’s different with England though isn’t it. If you changed a tricoloured flag, then it’d just look like another country.

Scottish fans will offen change the colour of the saltire to reflect that they support Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibernian. 

I don’t know why they did it but it’s just a modern design quirk, rather than anything “woke”. 

It’s the same old suspects trying to whip up a frenzy about nothing. 

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s different with England though isn’t it. If you changed a tricoloured flag, then it’d just look like another country.

Scottish fans will offen change the colour of the saltire to reflect that they support Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibernian. 

I don’t know why they did it but it’s just a modern design quirk, rather than anything “woke”. 

It’s the same old suspects trying to whip up a frenzy about nothing. 

I don't think the club comparison really works because it's a national flag. If Scotland changed the colour of the saltire on their national shirt it would obviously be a bit ludicrous. 

It is clearly deliberate and probably done to create a backlash / publicity. If people like that then fine, but to dismiss it as just a design thing is naive imo. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't think the club comparison really works because it's a national flag. If Scotland changed the colour of the saltire on their national shirt it would obviously be a bit ludicrous. 

It is clearly deliberate and probably done to create a backlash / publicity. If people like that then fine, but to dismiss it as just a design thing is naive imo. 

So you think Nike have an ulterior motive because they made the cross a bit purple and 3D?

Look at Stella McCartneys team GB kits in 2012. Pointless changing of the flag’s colours. 

I don’t know why they’ve done it, or what they thought it would achieve, but I find it difficult to understand the outrage. 

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

So you think Nike have an ulterior motive because they made the cross a bit purple and 3D?

Look at Stella McCartneys team GB kits in 2012. Pointless changing of the flag’s colours. 

I don’t know why they’ve done it, or what they thought it would achieve, but I find it difficult to understand the outrage. 

I struggle to believe it was just a "playful update". This stuff gets discussed and analysed in minute detail I'm sure, and probably they thought the backlash would be good for publicity and for Nike to be seen winding up traditionalists.

Fair point on the 2012 GB kits. But people were less sensitive then probably because in the last couple of years there have been more attempts to challenge anything seen as 'toxic nationalism' in England, especially in the football team.

I'm not outraged about it but obviously my flag is not simply a logo to me and I would like to see it faithfully represented on the national team shirt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

On the subject of flags this is quite interesting.

Clearly Euro-96 related but also I think reflects a broader decline of Britishness in the last few decades.

I think you're probably right re Britishness in general, but to me it seems a bit odd to be taking the Union Jack to events where Wales, Scotland and NI are our competitors.

2 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I think you're probably right re Britishness in general, but to me it seems a bit odd to be taking the Union Jack to events where Wales, Scotland and NI are our competitors.

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, bovril said:

On the subject of flags this is quite interesting.

Clearly Euro-96 related but also I think reflects a broader decline of Britishness in the last few decades.

This rather misses the point that the Union flag had been almost entirely co-opted by the far right. 

• Like 3

I don’t give a sh1t about flags, I don’t know what Britishness is or care. What I do know is that the UK is hugely diverse and people should maybe focus on and celebrate our similarities instead of demonising others who are deemed different. 

• Like 3