Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

42 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Hate to break up a very serious discussion (answer: you would even if you were gay) but I've just learned that 2 of my closest friends are expecting a baby.  Only 5 weeks in so it's a bit premature to get them things like onesies or Mum & Dad mugs but I'd like to get them something...  To that end does anybody with experience of buying for expectant couples or of receiving gifts as an expectant couple have any slam dunk suggestions for a good gift early doors?

What about a memory book? 

A nice present that will always be remembered and looked at as it will have all the first milestones up until they are a couple of years old. 

https://www.mamasandpapas.com/en-gb/millie-boris-record-book/p/484245310/

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

How about a voucher for a meal for 2 at a restaurant? so they can have one last minute of peace and quiet before their lifes changes forever

He's a pretty good chef so I doubt I could afford to send them anywhere that would impress him lol

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What about a memory book? 

A nice present that will always be remembered and looked at as it will have all the first milestones up until they are a couple of years old. 

https://www.mamasandpapas.com/en-gb/millie-boris-record-book/p/484245310/

Very nice idea but not sure it's really their kind of thing.

In any case I think I've decided on getting a plush toy.  That way if, God forbid, the worst happens and she miscarries then at least it'll be something they can still have as a nice reminder rather than something so baby-centric that it may be potentially taunting.  Reckon this one's a winner.  Cheers for the help though guys :) 

Edited by Carl the Llama

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

He's a pretty good chef so I doubt I could afford to send them anywhere that would impress him lol

Very nice idea but not sure it's really their kind of thing.

In any case I think I've decided on getting a plush toy.  That way if, God forbid, the worst happens and she miscarries then at least it'll be something they can still have as a nice reminder rather than something so baby-centric that it may be potentially taunting.  Reckon this one's a winner.  Cheers for the help though guys :) 

He can ask it to take two strokes off of his golf score 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

anyone got an ideal logic combi boiler?

i know how to increase the pressure but i cant get it back down again:blush:

Not sure if this is your model, but you'll probably find it easy enough if it's not:

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

@Webbo Do you reccomend wallpaper steamers to remove wallpaper or just good old fashioned hard graft & a scraper?

Depends on the paper. If it's an old wood chip or anaglypta that been painted over a few times then it's not a bad idea. If it's a modern paper it's usually more trouble than it's worth. You should be able to peel off the face of the paper, do that and then brush on a load of hot water with a little washing up liquid in it. Let it soak for a bit, re wet it if necessary and then scrape off.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Depends on the paper. If it's an old wood chip or anaglypta that been painted over a few times then it's not a bad idea. If it's a modern paper it's usually more trouble than it's worth. You should be able to peel off the face of the paper, do that and then brush on a load of hop water with a little washing up liquid in it. Let it soak for a bit, re wet it if necessary and then scrape off.

Cheers I'll try that. I've only got one room the downstairs toilet that has been decorated in woodchip previously so luckily not the biggest of rooms. 

Soneone mentioned that steamers can sometimes pull the plaster away.

Just now, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Cheers I'll try that. I've only got one room the downstairs toilet that has been decorated in woodchip previously so luckily not the biggest of rooms. 

Soneone mentioned that steamers can sometimes pull the plaster away.

They can if you leave them on too long. It's also not a very pleasant job, boiling water running down your arm, hot sweaty atmosphere.

Before you hire/borrow a steamer try soaking it and see how you get on. If you get the corner of your scraper and make slash marks in the paper so that the water can get through behind the paint it'll help.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Damn wish I was good at DIY. My dads great at it probably a generational thing

I'm awful myself but I've got a whole house that needs renovating. So I'm trying to do as much as I can to get it ready so the professionals can come in and just get started. 

Definitely an age thing, as my dad & father in-law are really good at DIY and can do most things.

8 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I'm awful myself but I've got a whole house that needs renovating. So I'm trying to do as much as I can to get it ready so the professionals can come in and just get started. 

Definitely an age thing, as my dad & father in-law are really good at DIY and can do most things.

Our generation is fvcked.

19 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Damn wish I was good at DIY. My dads great at it probably a generational thing

My dad could do anything ...    He built an extension on the house, he rewired the house,  he did the plumbing,he hand built all the bedroom furniture, he built a train layout with 3 tracks in the roof for all us kids, he painted and decorated the whole house, he could fix the tv ...    As in proper fix with it all in bits ....      he could fix and maintain the car, he made me a bike when I was 9, he built a greenhouse and did all the gardening, he could make exact copies of Faberge eggs that took amazing skill, dexterity and patience ......

I can do fvck all.

A generational thing indeed Sharpey.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

My dad could do anything ...    He built an extension on the house, he rewired the house,  he did the plumbing,he hand built all the bedroom furniture, he built a train layout with 3 tracks in the roof for all us kids, he painted and decorated the whole house, he could fix the tv ...    As in proper fix with it all in bits ....      he could fix and maintain the car, he made me a bike when I was 9, he built a greenhouse and did all the gardening, he could make exact copies of Faberge eggs that took amazing skill, dexterity and patience ......

I can do fvck all.

Seems like everyone's dad was a superhero back in the day. I know mine is and he says the same about my grandad. With the way the worlds going dads won't be able to do the little things they did for their kids because of work but I hope I can be a superhero too.

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Seems like everyone's dad was a superhero back in the day. I know mine is and he says the same about my grandad. With the way the worlds going dads won't be able to do the little things they did for their kids because of work but I hope I can be a superhero too.

Ah, well maybe not a superhero ...    He knocked the crap out of me ....    But I loved him anyway.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I can do fvck all.

You're being too hard on yourself, CF.

That spotlight set you made was the dog's..

591cabf8808fd_redneckdiy.png.085c3348142a7db7a92cdf0a94fbda93.png

• Like 1