Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

Best Night Club That Used To Be In Leicester?

117 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you strut your stuff?

• Mr Kiesas
    • Krystals
    • Le Chateau
    • Zoots
    • Brannigans
    • Sector 5
    • Bear Cage
    • Palais
    • Baileys
    • Tiplers
    • Trevinos
    • Simpkins
    • Aviary
    • Caspers
    • Harveys
    • Fusion
    • Bentleys
    • Legends
    • Spooks
    • Other

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Lived in Leicester from 99 to 02 and used to go Fan Club about three times a week. As a skinny indie boy it was my second home. X 

I went there probably about a year back and I wouldn’t go back ever again lol 

Assuming clubs will be amongst the very last businesses to reopen I do wonder how many will have to be added to this list, even the biggest in Mosh & Republic will struggle to last a year closure and I can imagine most the smaller ones have little to no chance of making it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Assuming clubs will be amongst the very last businesses to reopen I do wonder how many will have to be added to this list, even the biggest in Mosh & Republic will struggle to last a year closure and I can imagine most the smaller ones have little to no chance of making it.

Haha is not terrible now? It was always a bit terrible but I kinda like black hole types clubs and the music was always good and was friendly. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lcfc80

Excellent thread, was looking on google for where the White Room was and stumbled across this. Really enjoyed reading through this.

Turned 18 in 1998 so around 97/98 era we did a lot of Hinckley as it was easier to get in and they used to send you shit load of booze vouchers as somehow they knew when people were turning 18 lol, used to go Zuu there a lot then. Dress code was also more relaxed there as well rather than town back then, sure you could get in with dark blue jeans which was a no-no in most clubs in Leicester. Venue was the other one there then, had a car in there as the dj booth.

Also town back then was supposed to be over 21's everywhere friday and saturday night, but you could get in still with ID, think it must have been to deter really young 'uns. Palais was fairly good then but about 98-2000 Zanzibar was busiest although a bit weird. Early doors they'd have crap tribute acts of pop groups etc for some reason but was good in the main. Krystals or whatever it was called was pretty much the same night as Palais then, usually depended where you'd been drinking who who with decided which one you'd go if zanzibar wasn't the call.

Did Flaming Colosuss a handful of times but as someone mentioned earlier was a nightmare to get in as a scrawny 17-18 year old. I remember a load of big black dudes did the door there and they weren't easy to get around. No reasons or excuses "no not tonight, regulars only", "why not?" "**** off, i've told you once" lol

Only ever been Fanclub once and that was the weekend I turned 18, had a Saturday night planned in Leicester so went local on a friday until some pal and his brother suggested drink driving into town which sounded a good idea at the time. 22 years ago and I still remember the stupidity of that.

By the time I was 21ish I preferred going out earlier in the afternoon so was done by about 11pm so the clubs became less of a norm. One random night I remember though was a Friday night and must have been 2002. Was up town and agreed to go and meet some bird in that bar/club that was next to the clock tower with the door next to the entrance of the haymarket and you went upstairs. Remember it was mainly full of Asian lads and was a right shit hole, didn't even know it existed until that evening and sure it's now been closed for years. Sure I remember having to pay for the pleasure of going in there as well.

Here's a random one as well, anyone remember the friday nights they used to put on at Sketchley Grange hotel in near Hinckley? They did a disco/night club night on fridays that was fairly decent for something different. You wouldn't want it every week. 

Anyway, the reason I found this thread in the first place, does anyone remember, know, or go The White Room and where was it exactly?

Edit - Forgot this one as it's funny. An old mate of mine used to run The Black Boy in the late 90's and I drank in there a fair bit. One late friday or saturday he said lets all go Rhythm Room, we all strolled up and at the door got ID'd, most of the people I was with were 30+ and I was 19 and had ID so puffed my chest out and said yeah Im 19, "over 21's tonight pal". Everyone else went in and after about 10 minutes when the door was clear the doorman let me in. Walked in, got a beer, walked up the stairs to my mates, some bird latched on to me straight away so we went to go the bar downstairs, she was holding me hand walking down the stairs and with about 5 to go I went flying and fell down the rest landing at another doorman's feet. Kicked straight out after about 5 minutes. The lads on the door were pissing themselves saying WTF you done so quickly lol

Edited by lcfc80

10 hours ago, lcfc80 said:

Excellent thread, was looking on google for where the White Room was and stumbled across this. Really enjoyed reading through this.

Turned 18 in 1998 so around 97/98 era we did a lot of Hinckley as it was easier to get in and they used to send you shit load of booze vouchers as somehow they knew when people were turning 18 lol, used to go Zuu there a lot then. Dress code was also more relaxed there as well rather than town back then, sure you could get in with dark blue jeans which was a no-no in most clubs in Leicester. Venue was the other one there then, had a car in there as the dj booth.

Also town back then was supposed to be over 21's everywhere friday and saturday night, but you could get in still with ID, think it must have been to deter really young 'uns. Palais was fairly good then but about 98-2000 Zanzibar was busiest although a bit weird. Early doors they'd have crap tribute acts of pop groups etc for some reason but was good in the main. Krystals or whatever it was called was pretty much the same night as Palais then, usually depended where you'd been drinking who who with decided which one you'd go if zanzibar wasn't the call.

Did Flaming Colosuss a handful of times but as someone mentioned earlier was a nightmare to get in as a scrawny 17-18 year old. I remember a load of big black dudes did the door there and they weren't easy to get around. No reasons or excuses "no not tonight, regulars only", "why not?" "**** off, i've told you once" lol

Only ever been Fanclub once and that was the weekend I turned 18, had a Saturday night planned in Leicester so went local on a friday until some pal and his brother suggested drink driving into town which sounded a good idea at the time. 22 years ago and I still remember the stupidity of that.

By the time I was 21ish I preferred going out earlier in the afternoon so was done by about 11pm so the clubs became less of a norm. One random night I remember though was a Friday night and must have been 2002. Was up town and agreed to go and meet some bird in that bar/club that was next to the clock tower with the door next to the entrance of the haymarket and you went upstairs. Remember it was mainly full of Asian lads and was a right shit hole, didn't even know it existed until that evening and sure it's now been closed for years. Sure I remember having to pay for the pleasure of going in there as well.

Here's a random one as well, anyone remember the friday nights they used to put on at Sketchley Grange hotel in near Hinckley? They did a disco/night club night on fridays that was fairly decent for something different. You wouldn't want it every week. 

Anyway, the reason I found this thread in the first place, does anyone remember, know, or go The White Room and where was it exactly?

Edit - Forgot this one as it's funny. An old mate of mine used to run The Black Boy in the late 90's and I drank in there a fair bit. One late friday or saturday he said lets all go Rhythm Room, we all strolled up and at the door got ID'd, most of the people I was with were 30+ and I was 19 and had ID so puffed my chest out and said yeah Im 19, "over 21's tonight pal". Everyone else went in and after about 10 minutes when the door was clear the doorman let me in. Walked in, got a beer, walked up the stairs to my mates, some bird latched on to me straight away so we went to go the bar downstairs, she was holding me hand walking down the stairs and with about 5 to go I went flying and fell down the rest landing at another doorman's feet. Kicked straight out after about 5 minutes. The lads on the door were pissing themselves saying WTF you done so quickly lol

Enjoyed reading through your oddessy  of Leicester nightlife 😂

wasnt The White Room on Newarke Street ?

• 2 months later...
On 22/03/2011 at 19:29, rico said:

For the older generation,we just had so much choice in our day :thumbup:

You still strutting your stuff Rick lol Think we lived in Caspers late 80s. Remember the midweek nights when all the city players would go in there. Had a few words with a few of them after they played shit...which was often under Pleat. Pleat's daughter was a regular down there. What was the name of the Rod Stewart lookalike and his mate good lads they were snazzy dressers. You and Paul gave them a run for their money in the fashion stakes mind  lol 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Head Honcho said:

You still strutting your stuff Rick lol Think we lived in Caspers late 80s. Remember the midweek nights when all the city players would go in there. Had a few words with a few of them after they played shit...which was often under Pleat. Pleat's daughter was a regular down there. What was the name of the Rod Stewart lookalike and his mate good lads they were snazzy dressers. You and Paul gave them a run for their money in the fashion stakes mind  lol 

Wilf and Twinny were the Rod Stewart twins , Wilf passed away last year!

don’t bother with town much now mate,go on pub crawls a couple of times a year on catch ups 

On 03/05/2020 at 22:24, lcfc80 said:

Turned 18 in 1998 so around 97/98 era we did a lot of Hinckley as it was easier to get in ... Le Venue was the other one there then, had a car in there as the dj booth.

I DJ'd in Le Venue in Hinckley in 97-98.

Yep, DJ booth was a pink cadillac.

Met a lass who worked there who turned out to be a scary stalker.

Another customer I got friendly with. One night I happened to look under her bed ... and there was shotgun. Almost shaat myself.

23 hours ago, rico said:

Wilf and Twinny were the Rod Stewart twins , Wilf passed away last year!

don’t bother with town much now mate,go on pub crawls a couple of times a year on catch ups 

Aw that's sad news mate. Used to have some great nights with them two. I've been strictly local for about 10 years mate. Saying that I moved about ten miles away from it in December and haven't been since. Never beat the Full Moon for a local though lol

On 30/07/2020 at 16:41, Rocket-Ron said:

I know the one he means, it wasn't V14

It was on King St

WEAVERS

crammantsyard14.jpg

Jeez. That's a throwback. If memory serves, it fancied itself a bit and was a bit pricey to increase the prestige as a pre club gaff (or maybe even early drinks place, something tells me everyone went in for openers) 

Speaking of openers, as I came into town from Oadby, we used to use the Belmont - Bowie's Bar - for a couple of liveners before town. 

Anyone remember a short lived bar on Granny street, right at the gallowtree gate end....wasn't the turkey cafe but a place on that side behind the buildings where car parking easy. Achingly cool for a very short time. 

On 20/04/2020 at 10:01, Finnaldo said:

yep, but the industry is always about clubs dying, and being replaced.

9 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Jeez. That's a throwback. If memory serves, it fancied itself a bit and was a bit pricey to increase the prestige as a pre club gaff (or maybe even early drinks place, something tells me everyone went in for openers) 

Speaking of openers, as I came into town from Oadby, we used to use the Belmont - Bowie's Bar - for a couple of liveners before town. 

Anyone remember a short lived bar on Granny street, right at the gallowtree gate end....wasn't the turkey cafe but a place on that side behind the buildings where car parking easy. Achingly cool for a very short time. 

Bar code?

51 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

if it was behind some gate's and more or less facing the Spoons i think it was called R Bar.

R bar is/was further up near the station

It could have been bar code. Didn't last long. 

It was frequented by a small clique of 30/40 'clubbing' people who'd often go off to other cities afterwards

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

if it was behind some gate's and more or less facing the Spoons i think it was called R Bar.

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

R bar is/was further up near the station

It could have been bar code. Didn't last long. 

It was frequented by a small clique of 30/40 'clubbing' people who'd often go off to other cities afterwards

It was either Bar Code or Bar Coda.

Used to know the lad who owned it, fancied himself far to much.

• Thanks 1