Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Waggy off to Derby?

Thoroughly agree with the previous post.

If Waggy was to end up in a Derby shirt a little part of me would die inside...

183310_1851849143142_1448160245_2102842_7861670_n.jpg

:wub:

I like Waghorn like most on here but by the same token he is hardly a legend. Spent a year on loan where he did well and then we bought him and he went on to do sweet fa this season. While I like his fighting spirit I would hardly say he is a world beater and no where near as good as either the Yak or Kamara.

If he and Sven feel it would be best for him to move on so he can find a team that are willing to give him more games then so be it and I hope he does well. Will probably end up at Hull for a couple of million anyway.

I like Waghorn like most on here but by the same token he is hardly a legend. Spent a year on loan where he did well and then we bought him and he went on to do sweet fa this season. While I like his fighting spirit I would hardly say he is a world beater and no where near as good as either the Yak or Kamara.

If he and Sven feel it would be best for him to move on so he can find a team that are willing to give him more games then so be it and I hope he does well. Will probably end up at Hull for a couple of million anyway.

Oh I agree. I've got a bit of a man crush on him but I do genuinely believe he has potential, I think last season shows that.

He might not have done anything this season but in fairness, he's been played out wide and it's obviously not his strong point.

Sunderland were so reluctant to let him go for a long time, and wasn't until they realised they could get Gyan on a decent deal that they sold Waggy.

Even then, that was for a fee which most agreed was probably a bit much and I remember browsing a thread or two of Sunderland fans who were a little disappointed to see him go.

We could do better than Waggy, but in the right set up, given a bit of time he could get around 15 a season and before anyone questions that I'm pretty sure he got either 10 or 12 under NP.

I know I'm harping back a bit because of a personal fondness of him and as I said in my previous post I understand and actually expect to see him somewhere else next season, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he did go.

Hasn't anyone thought that maybe Nigel Clough is making Waghorn a main target because he is a good player?! QPR wanted him as well if I remember... We should keep him, nobody can be a good player when they have to sit and watch game after game and then maybe play for the last 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

Hasn't anyone thought that maybe Nigel Clough is making Waghorn a main target because he is a good player?! QPR wanted him as well if I remember... We should keep him, nobody can be a good player when they have to sit and watch game after game and then maybe play for the last 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

Is he going to be happy on the bench though?.

I love waggy as much as the next man, but if he's not in svens plans then its only fair for him to leave.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Derby-have-made-a-1-25million-bid-for-Leicester-striker-Martyn-Waghorn-article737064.html

Derby have made a £1.25million bid for Leicester striker Martyn Waghorn.

Derby boss Nigel Clough has tabled his biggest offer since taking charge at Pride Park after being handed the funds to pursue the former Sunderland star, 21.

Waghorn wants to leave the Walkers Stadium this summer after limited first-team opportunities under Sven Goran Eriksson.

But Leicester are refusing to sell yet as they prepare their own list of targets for the summer.

Eriksson wants at least six new players, with Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard a priority target, so Clough will have to wait.

I think selling waggy is a mistake. He's one of those players that get the crowd going and whilst he picked up the annoying habit from Howard of trying to get a free kick rather than challenging for the ball when it was is in the air, he's shown enough raw talent to be given a proper chance. I just don't think Sven likes him. I'd have him over journeyman kamara any day of the week. Lets not do another 'gradel'.

From the Mercury.

Leicester City will reject a bid from Derby County for striker Martyn Waghorn.

The 21-year-old is a top target for Rams boss Nigel Clough, who tried to get Waghorn on loan in January.

The Rams are believed to have tabled an offer in excess of £1million, but City do not want to sell the promising young striker.

Waghorn made only five starts under City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, his last coming against Sheffield United at the Walkers Stadium in November, and has been used almost entirely as an impact substitute, much to the England Under-19 international's frustration.

But Waghorn, who is still recovering from a hamstring injury, is still highly regarded at the Walkers Stadium, and not just by the supporters.

Waghorn, below, made a big impact during his season-long loan from Sunderland under previous boss Nigel Pearson, scoring 12 goals in 28 starts as City just missed out in the play-offs.

That prompted City to sign him permanently last summer in a deal which could be worth £3m, and they are not ready to cash in on him yet.

Eriksson is looking to strengthen his attack with possible moves for Yakubu and Diomansy Kamara, who were both on loan at City last season, plus Bristol City's Nicky Maynard and Aston Villa's Emile Heskey.

Waghorn's future may be determined by how successful Eriksson is.

However, for now, Waghorn is still in Eriksson's plans for next season.

Meanwhile, speculation has continued linking City's first-team coach Didi Hamann to the vacant managerial job at Swindon Town, but the Mercury understands Leicester have not received an approach from the Robins.

A national newspaper reported the former Liverpool and Germany midfielder, who joined Eriksson's back-room team only in February and is under contract, was set to be unveiled as the new boss of the recently-relegated League Two club, and that only negotiations over compensation were holding up the appointment.

Former West Ham United and Italy striker Paulo Di Canio is still the favourite for the post with bookmakers, who had suspended betting on him taking over at the County Ground. An announcement is expected today.

City academy defender George Taft has been included in the England Under-19 squad for a European Championship qualifying tournament in Switzerland next month.

The 17-year-old left-back is in the squad to face Montenegro, Spain and Switzerland, with the side that finishes top of the group qualifying for the championship finals in Romania later this summer.

Archived