Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

5 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Nothing against either fella but it shows how poor the heavyweight division is. 

Fury on a different stratosphere to anybody else which is a shame because he deserves more elite fights. 

This fight is why Dillian Whyte is still considered a player in the division. 

5 minutes ago, martyn said:

Well that tells you all you need to know about the heart of Dubois.

A massive worry at his age to chuck it like that. 

I'd understand if he was mid 30's and just had enough of the game but that was just a straight up quit and get out of there.

Edited by EastAnglianFox

9 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Seems like a lovely bloke and fair play to him for doing the job tonight, but saying he's 'ready' for Usyk is hilarious.

Joyce is as ready as he'll ever be. That's not to say he'll win, but he'll give Usyk a tough fight. Pretty average to watch, but he has a very good chin, very very good engine, and a decent jab with good timing. Would be very interesting to see how Usyk would hold up in the later rounds.

If Joyce had anything approaching even average hand speed, he'd be very dangerous.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Dubois need to work on his head and foot movement. He will come again he is young enough to learn from it. Never like seeing a fighter quit like that, you 100% question his heart after quitting.

Joyce did well. He stood to a simple game plan and it worked well.
He has a good engine for such a big man. I don’t think you take him out with one shot like Dubois was trying.

Impressed with what Joyce has done, he hasn’t ducked any challenges won all his fights. He isn’t going to beat the top guys but beats chisora all day for me. So he can become the new gatekeeper.

All the people laying in to Dubois for quitting, you literally have no idea what he was experiencing. I mean maybe he could barely see and was risking serious damage to his eye? 

Would you rather he carry on just to "have heart" and get hospitalised? 

Every sport in the world right now is trying to do more to look after its competitors, boxing is maybe in a tougher position than all of them given that hitting each other in the head is pretty much the whole point. 

I dunno, maybe he does lack heart and maybe he won't have much of a career but a bunch of us arm chair enthusiasts passing judgment after one loss seems a bit premature. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

All the people laying in to Dubois for quitting, you literally have no idea what he was experiencing. I mean maybe he could barely see and was risking serious damage to his eye? 

Every sport in the world right now is trying to do more to look after its competitors, boxing is maybe in a tougher position than all of them given that hitting each other in the head is pretty much the whole point. 

I dunno, maybe he does lack heart and maybe he won't have much of a career but a bunch of us arm chair enthusiasts passing judgment after one loss seems a bit premature. 

I said the same after AJ lost.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I do, he had a fractured eye socket. He could see nothing out of it, and he was indeed risking serious injury.

He got hospitalised as a result anyway.

There’s two ways of looking at it, it is concerning he packed up in a division where you clearly need  to be mental to succeed (for all the moaning about it this is as good a heavyweight division we’ve had in years and years) there have been fighters in similar situations who have boxed on and hard their arm raised, and sometimes if you want to be the best in this sport, it’s what you have to do, it’s a hard game. What Dubois demonstrated last night is he isn’t someone who stays in there no matter what given the extent the lads at the top of the game are knocking each other about it doesn’t bode well.

That said I think it’s a-bit much for anyone to lay into him too badly if he personally values his long term career, or possible general health over winning one fight he doesn’t need to win at his age. Some fighters boxed on and won, Anthony Ogogo lost his career to a similar injury. 

So In short it was probably sensible, but elite boxers are quite often not sensible people who stay in there no matter what and if that’s not him he’s at a disadvantage in any fight against someone who will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Dubious had never been tested. All his previous fights were walk over fights. It’s typical Frank Warren style to get the fighters up the word rankings, He did the same with Chisora. 

On the injury you have to question the corner and ref, They probably should have pulled the fighter out. There is no harm in defeat it can make you stronger if you learn from it. 

No one wants to see a fighter hospitalised. He made the right decision to retire. But for his sake it wold have been better for the corner to have ended the fight.

Joyce has had a very good amateur career, and although they had similar pro careers Joyce is much more seasoned.