Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brown Fox

Brighton Pre Match Talk

Reckon it'll be similar to Norwich last season as someone previously mentioned.

0-3, really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see where the goals are coming from let alone a win.

It was me :thumbup: , but in all honesty if we do not come out of the traps with energy and commitment, and allow the opposition to dictate then we will struggle to get a win imo prove me wrong City.

Hmm not a lot of support for the Howard idea then - I'm in 2 minds - I work in Leeds a couple of days per week and all the lads there rate Beckford in a 4-4-2 with a good hold up /lay-off player. I feel Nugent is the best partner for Mr B but until he is available I'd give Howard a shot (no pun intended cos chances are he'd miss) .

Schlupp and Beckford also sounds a daunting opposition for the Brighton defence but on the other hand would they work for each other?? I would at least have Howard on the Bench. He is a good outlet and if we are trying to hold on to a lead, is good at keeping the ball up top and allowing us to pull out / play less deep.

Some may say that Howard won't get us many goals but Vas doesn't exactly weigh in with many either.

It was me :thumbup: , but in all honesty if we do not come out of the traps with energy and commitment, and allow the opposition to dictate then we will struggle to get a win imo prove me wrong City.

Our two best performances this season were first halves, it's mainly the second that has proved to be the bigger issue.

Our two best performances this season were first halves, it's mainly the second that has proved to be the bigger issue.

Trouble is you cannot predict which half City will turn up, however, it would be nice if we could have sustained performance throughout the 90 minutes here's hoping

Think this will have all the making of the Southampton match again, can see Brighton being really dangerous on the wings and up front.

Hoping for this team.

Schmeichel

Peltier, St Ledger, Bamba, Konchesky

Wellens, Fernandes, King

Vassell, Beckford, Dyer

Subs - Weale, Mills, Abe, Danns, Schlupp

Think this will have all the making of the Southampton match again, can see Brighton being really dangerous on the wings and up front.

Hoping for this team.

Schmeichel

Peltier, St Ledger, Bamba, Konchesky

Wellens, Fernandes, King

Vassell, Beckford, Dyer

Subs - Weale, Mills, Abe, Danns, Schlupp

A 4-3-3? No thank you. I think we have learnt by now we don't really like that formation.

http://theseventytwo.com/football-league/championship/2011/09/16/why-brighton-and-hove-albion-provide-erikssons-leicester-with-biggest-test-yet/?

It’s a no-brainer. A simple glance at the league table clearly tells you why Gus Poyet’s soaring Seagulls will supply Sven-Goran Eriksson with his sternest challenge of the season so far. Yet there’s more to it than that. When Brighton visit the East Midlands tomorrow, it will be a flashpoint in Leicester City’s season – and could well act as a reminder that money, of course, does not guarantee success.

With half a dozen games in the can, Brighton are currently passing their Championship examination with flying colours. Still unbeaten, with just a Kevin Phillips brace denying them a perfect record thus far, the Seagulls are the team to beat. It was easy to predict. Following in the footsteps of previous League One champions Norwich City, Brighton had high expectations – or, to perhaps be more accurate, expectations were thrust upon them the moment they sealed promotion to the second tier.

Norwich enjoyed the season that never died, a campaign which relied on a peppering of last-minute goals but also a number of sweeping victories which confirmed their superiority over all but one of the other teams in the division. And up they went to the Premier League in a blaze of glory on the south coast thanks to Simeon Jackson’s second-half winner at Portsmouth. Soon after, they were joined by Swansea City – a team that achieved promotion in a different way. Like Norwich, they were relatively newly-promoted having played out three seasons in the Championship since an ascent from the lower leagues. But this was a team that improved their league position year-upon-year (8th, 7th, 3rd) rather than barrelling their way straight through two successive promotions.

So we have Brighton, League One champions of 2010/11, showing all the signs of emulating the subsequent second-tier achievements of Swansea (winners in 2007/08) and Norwich (the class of 2009/10). But what of Swansea’s successor and Norwich’s predecessor?

Leicester City nearly rose through two divisions in consecutive years themselves, but the dream fell away towards the very end with play-off semi-final penalty heartache in Cardiff. Much has been written, not least on these pages, about what happened next but the end result effectively provides a context for Saturday’s visit of table-topping Brighton to the King Power Stadium. That moniker is a clue: things have changed enormously at Leicester since the last competitive appearance of Yann Kermorgant.

The Frenchman pitched up at Charlton Athletic this week under the watch of his former Leicester team-mate Chris Powell, a reminder to City fans of the recent past that has been left behind in a hurry. Widespread investiture in the squad over the summer has left it looking almost unrecognisable from the assorted heroes of League One glory and that play-off near-miss.

And so the narrative is clear. With many players having proven themselves in the Championship in Nigel Pearson’s second season with the club, victory for Brighton – and even more so if gained in the same stylish manner to which Seagulls fans have become accustomed over the past thirteen months – may leave Leicester fans wondering just why plenty of that tight-knit squad have been written off by Eriksson.

This scenario comes as Leicester lie 10th in the table. Pretty much what some fans were expecting at this stage, but a position which must haunt Eriksson slightly. A swift climb up the division last winter, augmented by loan signings and bargain buys, seemed to put Leicester in pole position for a play-off place. As close as they got towards the start of spring, however, this never quite materialised and a poor run of results saw the club end the season in 10th. It was a reminder that the Championship is very rarely a stroll, regardless of the amounts that can be spent in an attempt to ensure promotion.

Brighton, of course, may disagree – about the stroll anyway. Poyet has added here and there to a squad which, former Valencia winger Vicente aside, contains few household names – the following side dispatched Bristol City late on at Ashton Gate in their last outing: Ankergren, Greer, Dunk, Calderon, Painter, Noone (LuaLua), Harley (Buckley), Dicker, Bridcutt, Barnes, Mackail-Smith. A side that has grown and developed together and which is currently reaping the rewards – a proven formula for Championship success.

With their status at present, it must be said, comes a certain amount of pressure. Much as the recent past points to promoted teams prospering, it also offers the examples of Newcastle United and Queen’s Park Rangers – both of whom started at the top and stayed there. Whether this also happens for Brighton remains to be seen.

That league table certainly makes for happy reading in a corner of East Sussex, but the signs are there even if the publication of standings was suddenly placed under embargo. While Leicester fans fret about the best way for Eriksson to set up their relatively stellar side and a select few begin to idly wonder what may happen from a financial perspective should promotion not be achieved, Brighton fans have got other, far more important things to worry about (see exhibit A and exhibit B).

The second example above shows, if any further evidence were necessary, just how far Brighton and Hove Albion have come since the bad old days of the Gillingham groundshare and Dick Knight. Tomorrow comes yet another opportunity to lay a marker down on their ascent to a brighter future.

Brighton are a seriously in form side so it is going to be a tough game.

Our midfield has been piss poor, whatever the formation, yes the currently 'favourite' diamond included, so I really do think it is 'back to basics', to coin a phrase.

So -

Schmeichel

Pantsil--Mills--Bamba--Konchesky

Peltier--King--Fernandes--Danns

Beckford--Vassell

Flat 4-4-2 (how I hate to say that), even we can't cock that up.........can we?

i havent seen the 'diamond' in action, but it seems that our fullbacks dont get much support from the players in front of them (only going from what ive heard & read). against a team that have said their wingers are their best attacking threat its worrying that we might get exposed too often.

Still would like to see a couple of natural wide players drafted in on loan - would allow sven to play the 4-3-3 as well

Our problem with a diamond 4-4-2 is that our full-backs aren't as attack minded as Naughton and Van Aanholt were last season and therefore they get isolated. Konchesky and Pantsil/Peltier can get forward but they need support, that is why it's crucial we employ at least one natural winger.

Archived