Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Beckford

A new manager will bring a new style, it may suit him but we shouldn't change 10 players strengths just to suit one uninterested player.

Schlupp, Vassell & Howard should be above him based on merit & if Beckford can find his game he should challenge them but until then he's like playing with 10men & is a luxury our situation can't afford.

A new manager will bring a new style, it may suit him but we shouldn't change 10 players strengths just to suit one uninterested player.

Is anyone suggesting we should? Playing to his strengths doesn't necessarily mean others have to alter their styles. Beckford needs the ball played in front of him to run through on goal, he'll not be grafting running into channels, making brave challenges etc.

If Howard is on the pitch you play to his strengths, you don't knock it over the top for him to run onto. Each player has different strengths you need to exploit, the same goes for Beckford.

Is anyone suggesting we should? Playing to his strengths doesn't necessarily mean others have to alter their styles. Beckford needs the ball played in front of him to run through on goal, he'll not be grafting running into channels, making brave challenges etc.

If Howard is on the pitch you play to his strengths, you don't knock it over the top for him to run onto. Each player has different strengths you need to exploit, the same goes for Beckford.

Good point, yes you're right.

Now we have Nuge to do all the running & plenty of intelligent enough midfielders, Johnson, King, Wellens on occasion, Fernandes etc, it just hasn't happened for him yet, of course it could do but I just can't help feeling that Schlupp would offer more, not only can he run on to balls the same but his desire & enthusiasm would see him get there whereas Beckford looks like if he went shoulder to shoulder with a defender he'd just give up. There has to be the will on his part too.

If Howard is on the pitch you play to his strengths, you don't

knock it over the top for him to run onto. Each player has different strengths you need to exploit, the same goes for Beckford.

There is no point in playing to anyones strengths if the player doesn't want to play in the first place or feels that they have a divine right to play..

The approach with Beckford should be two pronged IMO.

Firstly, sort his head out.. Secondly play the way which his going to maximise his goal threat..

Both are needed and neither are mutually exclusive.

There is no point in playing to anyones strengths if the player doesn't want to play in the first place or feels that they have a divine right to play..

The approach with Beckford should be two pronged IMO.

Firstly, sort his head out.. Secondly play the way which his going to maximise his goal threat..

Both are needed and neither are mutually exclusive.

Indeed which is what I said in post 222. ;)

I just can't help feeling that Schlupp would offer more

At this moment in time I agree.

No, you play it into his feet for him to cut through several defenders with close control and movement ;)

Good point you make about Beckford.

I didn't agree with what some fans did when Beckford was substiuted at West Ham on saturday, but I do understand it is pure frustration. I was stood there feeling it, but, I never 'boo' an individual player because the team wasn't exactly playing better than him at the stage when he came off. However, his attitude does need to improve really.

I think he needs a strike partner. Nugent and Vassell were too far away from Beckford on Saturday, meaning he didn't have any support. I'd like to see Howard play with Beckford, as Beckford is the type of striker that will play off of a big man; we saw him do that at Leeds with Becchio for example.

His reaction on Tuesday, and in particular Sunday against his old club, will be interesting. I hope he hasn't fell out with the club, team mates or fans just because a few Leicester fans cheered when he was taken off.

If the owners can afford the wages then if prob doesn't matter does it?

Not sure about that. I'd hate to think I was playing as equal/better than a player that was getting £10,000 a week more than me, etc

If the owners can afford the wages then if prob doesn't matter does it?

Assuming they are paying it for the whole of the contract and its being taken out of KP and not being levied against the clubs debt I can tolerate it.

Still not comfortable with it though, not to mention it can be counter productive.

I can't be arsed to trawl through 12 pages, but I'm assuming most of it is anti Beckford. People need to give him a break.

Football, especially strikers, is a confidence game. Beckford clearly has very little at the moment - if he's going to be prolific (and he's well capable) he needs support. As it is, at West Ham, people got on his back immediately - at which point is becomes a vicious circle...

I didn't agree with what some fans did when Beckford was substiuted at West Ham on saturday, but I do understand it is pure frustration. I was stood there feeling it, but, I never 'boo' an individual player because the team wasn't exactly playing better than him at the stage when he came off. However, his attitude does need to improve really.

I think he needs a strike partner. Nugent and Vassell were too far away from Beckford on Saturday, meaning he didn't have any support. I'd like to see Howard play with Beckford, as Beckford is the type of striker that will play off of a big man; we saw him do that at Leeds with Becchio for example.

His reaction on Tuesday, and in particular Sunday against his old club, will be interesting. I hope he hasn't fell out with the club, team mates or fans just because a few Leicester fans cheered when he was taken off.

:appl:

Good constructive post ,

looking back slightly further than this weekends game and indeed the Milwall game is that when he scored his first for the club in the game against Watford he hardly seemed to celebrate or show much in the way of emotion at all. Most strikers when they have gone through a barren spell after joining a new club tend to show a bit more releif or emotion than he showed that day....at the time I thought it a little strange, he does seem to show all the hallmarks of a player not exactly buying into the club he has joined....the thing is only one person knows if he is commited to the cause or not and we all know hes not going to say otherwise while under contract.

Are you excusing players from making mistakes, allowing them to hold the club at ransom when they can't live up to their potential? Just allow them to sulk in the corner and play the "I'm upset and feel mistreated" card?

Playing in a new system that doesn't fully play to his strengths, having hardly any midfield colleague who's really setting him up is one thing, not wanting to put an effort in is another.

I reckon we ought to ask for our money back from everton.

i.e.

When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:

1. 'as described',

2. 'of satisfactory quality', and

3. 'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller

We went 4-4-2 after half time and Nugent played up alongside him, with Abe on the right.

I know it was only 10 minutes, but he didn't look like make any sort of impact then either.

I appreciate people saying "we need to give him time", but as a marquee signing who declared himself that "only weak people feel pressure", I think we're entitled to expect a lot more than the disinterested guff we've put up with so far.

It's hard to take issue with those who say that "he will come good" and that his past record bears out that he will be a success at this level. I don't agree, but again, I can see where you're coming from.

What I can't understand is those excusing his woeful attitude, saying that it is "due to the system" or "he isn't being used properly".

Fair point, especially if they're not very good!

I was only thinking of the financial cost to the club.......

Yeah, I know you were. Sorry about that, but I was making a different point, if you know what I mean...

Are you excusing players from making mistakes, allowing them to hold the club at ransom when they can't live up to their potential? Just allow them to sulk in the corner and play the "I'm upset and feel mistreated" card?

Playing in a new system that doesn't fully play to his strengths, having hardly any midfield colleague who's really setting him up is one thing, not wanting to put an effort in is another.

No I am not excusing anybody, however and although Beckford doesn't look bothered, lets put into perspective he was alone on Saturday. I don't know if Everton played him alone, I bet they didn't and if they did; Cahill would be close by supporting him. He had no support, and hardly any creativity as well, however, as you say, that does not excuse him from working hard just like every other player.

We went 4-4-2 after half time and Nugent played up alongside him, with Abe on the right.

I know it was only 10 minutes, but he didn't look like make any sort of impact then either.

I appreciate people saying "we need to give him time", but as a marquee signing who declared himself that "only weak people feel pressure", I think we're entitled to expect a lot more than the disinterested guff we've put up with so far.

It's hard to take issue with those who say that "he will come good" and that his past record bears out that he will be a success at this level. I don't agree, but again, I can see where you're coming from.

What I can't understand is those excusing his woeful attitude, saying that it is "due to the system" or "he isn't being used properly".

I am not like backing him up and excusing his poor attitude (I wasn't that pleased when we signed him!) but I do feel like he was/is getting critisized when other's are not exactly playing to their best level either. His attitude and lack of determination does worry me, but I would like to see him closer to a strike partner. We did change the system in the second half, but he wasn't in it long enough. I would really like to see Beckford playing off of Howard in a big man/small poacher role.

Ive always thought he would bang in the goals but im having doubts about him and his 'attitude'

When he was coming on for the 2nd hals Bamba was having a right old pop at him.

He then carried on doing fcuk all until he got subbed.

I dont condone anyone booing a player but he was quick to react to it and made himself look abit of a cvnt in my opinion.

Not the way to win the hearts of your fans after just a few weeks is it,and lets be fair he has been crap.

I dont car if he is injured or how much he is on.

Put the workrate in atleast FFS.

IF you are injured DONT play until you are fit cos your fcuking up the team.

What a diference Big Steve made(never thought id say that!) He showed more pasion in that half that Beck has since he came here.

I was really looking forward to seeing Nugent/Beck strike combo......but its shite at the moment!

Why are we hanging our f***ing players this reeks of ricardo all over again!!! Booing Your own players is sh#t end of!

I feel our season changed last season around that of the Ricardo /weale saga!!

And we all know how that ended up....

Beckford will prove to be a good player , agreed needs to work much harder but booing him after 'x' amount of games...???

Ain't helping anything .

Away in second half away at westham we the fans actully got behind the team , when we do lcfc is a force to be reckoned with !!! Fact .

Why are we hanging our f***ing players this reeks of ricardo all over again!!! Booing Your own players is sh#t end of!

I feel our season changed last season around that of the Ricardo /weale saga!!

And we all know how that ended up....

Beckford will prove to be a good player , agreed needs to work much harder but booing him after 'x' amount of games...???

Ain't helping anything .

Away in second half away at westham we the fans actully got behind the team , when we do lcfc is a force to be reckoned with !!! Fact .

happens once in a blue moon

Archived