Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Beckford

Bloody hell Bert...

Football is a tough old game, not a kindergarten!

Of course we need to generate confidence in the squad ( and in the whole club at present), but what Beckford needs is a kick up the arse and told either to put the effort in or to **** off..

He frankly needs a good talking to by a bloke adept in

discipline and motivational skills to get his bloody head together.

Then again, I don't single out Beckford here.. Danns also had not been playing anywhere near to potential. And when I say the new boss needs to go and get his fookin mobile off him I meant it...

The introduction of a manager with the correct personality will work wonders on this squad IMO.. Some of them need a

shake up.. And soon.. We are rapidly losing ground

Ps Bert .. You're a legend in these parts do I didn't mean to be rude... I just think the time for softly softly is over.. I hope the new manager is a tough ol bastard

I just put my opinions across like everyone else, if people want to agree/disagree then that's up to them.

I said the other day we need a tough manager, someone that's gonna bollock them at HT etc.

City goals since Beckford has arrived (just league to ensure fair comparison)

Beckford on the pitch: 508 minutes, 4 goals - a goal every 127 minutes

Beckford off the pitch: 302 minutes, 6 goals - a goal every 50 minutes

It's not that Beckford isn't getting the service. It's that he's not putting the effort in.

Leeds United fan here in peace.

Just thought I'd pop on here to see how Beckford is getting on for you. He's clearly failed to impress so far. Here's my take on him after watching him week in, week out for Leeds.

Attitude: Despite having a brilliant goalscoring record for us, a lot of our fans never really took to him. We respected him as a goalscorer, but there wasn't much love from either side. He's an extremely lazy footballer and that will never change. We booed him , cheered him, supported him and got the same standard of effort every game. It never changed.

All round game: This was also poor. Poor touch, poor awareness, poor passing. I came to the conclusion that he's a poor man's Michael Owen. Doesn't really do much in a game, apart from score. This can obviously be frustrating to watch if he's not getting chances gifted to him on a plate. You might aswell be playing with 10 men.

Finishing: Despite the amount of goals he scored at League 1 level, he probably missed an equal amount of very good chances. His finishing was patchy. He got 5 or 6 good chances in almost every game at that level though, which meant he usually buried 1 or 2.

Conclusion: He's a good striker, if he's played upfront with an attacker who'll do all his running. He had Becchio here, who ran for everything. This allowed Beckford to just stand on the shoulder of the last defender and wait for Kilkenny to play through balls to him (this was honestly all we did when Beckford was here). We built our side around him and Kilkenny and played to his strengths (speed and direct play). Some days he turned up, some days he didn't. We saw him act disgracefully when getting substituted, we saw him trying to leave our club during our promotion winning season and then visibly give up trying in the games after his move fell through. We've turned into a far better side without him as out goal record shows.

Good luck for the rest of the season and please sell Steve Howard before we play you again. First it was Hume who always scored against us, now it's him!

I thought Beckford a bad panic signing at the time and still do. I was as frustrated as everyone else in the crowd today.

However, today's system was set-up to fail. Playing a 4-3-3 with him at the tip was never going to work as he can't hold the ball up and doesn't have the ball skills to play passes in. He is a limited player who can only play well if he's in a front two, with him playing off the shoulder of the last defender. As we weren't able to thread balls through for him today, he was never going to thrive.

You could see how we improved immeasurably with big Steve Howard, someone to win the long balls and hold it up. He has the attributes which our team needed today and so it's no wonder he played well.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's no wonder that Beckford will not perform well as our team is not set-up for his game. Pumping long balls up to him, you can see he's looking for the defender to make a mistake so that he can take the ball on. He's not looking to challenge the defender in the way that Howard or Nugent does.

Could he be a good signing for us? If he doesn't increase his work rate, then invariably he will be an expensive mistake, who is not worth keeping Shlupp out the match squad for.

Just thought I'd pop on here to see how Beckford is getting on for you. He's clearly failed to impress so far. Here's my take on him after watching him week in, week out for Leeds.

Attitude: Despite having a brilliant goalscoring record for us, a lot of our fans never really took to him. We respected him as a goalscorer, but there wasn't much love from either side. He's an extremely lazy footballer and that will never change. We booed him , cheered him, supported him and got the same standard of effort every game. It never changed.

All round game: This was also poor. Poor touch, poor awareness, poor passing. I came to the conclusion that he's a poor man's Michael Owen. Doesn't really do much in a game, apart from score. This can obviously be frustrating to watch if he's not getting chances gifted to him on a plate. You might aswell be playing with 10 men.

Finishing: Despite the amount of goals he scored at League 1 level, he probably missed an equal amount of very good chances. His finishing was patchy. He got 5 or 6 good chances in almost every game at that level though, which meant he usually buried 1 or 2.

Conclusion: He's a good striker, if he's played upfront with an attacker who'll do all his running. He had Becchio here, who ran for everything. This allowed Beckford to just stand on the shoulder of the last defender and wait for Kilkenny to play through balls to him (this was honestly all we did when Beckford was here). We built our side around him and Kilkenny and played to his strengths (speed and direct play). Some days he turned up, some days he didn't. We saw him act disgracefully when getting substituted, we saw him trying to leave our club during our promotion winning season and then visibly give up trying in the games after his move fell through. We've turned into a far better side without him as out goal record shows.

Good luck for the rest of the season and please sell Steve Howard before we play you again. First it was Hume who always scored against us, now it's him!

Well he's certainly not changed. The only thing I'd add to that is he is the type of player who can do something on instinct, but the moment he needs to think about what he's doing/going to do, he can't.

He's the type of player you need to build an attack around and frankly, he's not worth building a team around.

Better to have no ability and but be a 100% effort player who works his socks off than the pther way around.

Put it this way, Vassell is only average at this level in my opinion, but he runs and runs and always works hard. He had a good game until he went off.

I'd rather play Gallagher than Beckford, and that says something coming from me.

Well he's certainly not changed. The only thing I'd add to that is he is the type of player who can do something on instinct, but the moment he needs to think about what he's doing/going to do, he can't.

He's the type of player you need to build an attack around and frankly, he's not worth building a team around.

Spot on.

The lad will get goals, but you have to take the poor form and poor attitude for it to work.

There was some talk of him re-joining us on loan before you signed him. I'll be honest, the majority are happy without him.

Thanks for your post, it's always easy to know what other clubs think about a player.

Guest DavidJCW

I'm always one who's completely on the side of those who put the effort in, anyone who doesn't can piss right off... HOWEVER, Beckford has dropped a division and only just arrived. He's more than likely got a massive ego and thinks he's better than this league, but give him time to settle in, realise he's going to have to work to score and find his feet in this division once again, it is massively different to the Premiership after all.

Don't you all think it's about time we lost this 'need for instant success' mentality we all have? It's never served us well and never will... Sven was sadly the last victim of this approach...

He didn't cover himself in glory at all today, I'm not bothered about how he reacted to the fans, his performance wasn't good enough. He is better than he's showing, he needs to turn it around quickly, although our fans aren't the most patient bunch at the best of times.

Having read the Leeds fan's comments I'm even more convinced that the sooner we get rid the better. Even listening on the radio it seemed clear that team spirit soared once he'd gone. He's certainly never looked like a player others can cog in with to me.

Unlike Howard who seems to bring something out of everyone if only for his effort and attitude. I still remember his last home appearance and that clenched fist sign of frustration. Even after weeks of being overlooked he'd come out and given his all.

He didn't cover himself in glory at all today, I'm not bothered about how he reacted to the fans, his performance wasn't good enough. He is better than he's showing, he needs to turn it around quickly, although our fans aren't the most patient bunch at the best of times.

I doubt our fans are any less patient than any others. He deserves a bit of stick, but people who are so outraged that we only gave Sven thirteen months should consider that this chap has only been here since the back end of August. How do you justify blaming players while making excuses for your ex-manager?

Don't you remember how awful Tommy Wright was in his first two seasons (89-91) or Gary Mills in his first six months? What about Jimmy Willis, Steve Claridge etc.? None got off to flying starts.

I never thought he was a good complement to Nugent (another nippy striker, not enough physical power), I agree with the panic buy allegations, but surely this is all more a criticism of Sven than it is of Beckford who - if we're truthful - has pedigree as a striker, as did Kamara, Bednar, Yakubu and Fryatt. Suspect the problem isn't that simple.

By all means yell at him (McGhee once said any noise is better than no noise in a football stadium) but don't go thinking the guy's completely useless. The right manager may yet make a player out of him.

I missed the game completely (being there, radio or even text) as I got dragged around the in-laws cos my wife's brotherr had come up from Bristol as was leaving today (honestly, you'd have thought he was going to Timbuktoo! :rolleyes: ) so my only take on the game was the match stats on my phone after the game and the first thing that spring to my attention was we scored goals after Beckford went off and Howard came on. A young, gifted player who can be bothered, for a past his best, veteran who's still got fire.

Stick him in the reserves and give him a kick up the backside. If that doesn't work, sell him on in the New Year.

Good piece there mate and good luck for the season too. Tbf when Howard plays regularly he is shite, but as an impact sub, he seems to give us something. Nugent is running around all game for Becks, so something should click. I think we need wingers to serve Beckford and on his part, he is hardly getting the service - Nugent can't do everything. I'd like to see Wellens and Abe not play as much as I think they slow us down.

Just got back from London, he was a total disappointment today, His commitment was 0. He was beaten to EVERY single ball. He better up his fvcking game or Stevie boy has got his place in the bag. At least Howard looked interested.

Agreed jack I was staing next to you thinking WTF is that on the pitch steve Howard n nugent to start at burnley

The difference between the Beckford playing for Leeds and the Beckford playing for the Leicester (and to a certain extent Everton):

Here, he's only one part of one big puzzle, at Leeds he was the cornerstone of their attack.

Seeing that he's no longer the center of attention, sure he struggles.

Yes, he's also lacking the support from midfield, still I do hope he gets his head around it and learns from his previous mistakes (laziness, lack of effort, near-apathy).

Archived