Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
escos

Roy Keane

Just out of interest.....

I know football management is unlike any other job in that if we're sacked from our respective jobs we prob would nrver get a job in that industry again.

Anyway, my question is do you think that clubs 'get references' / speak to a manager's former employer before they offer them the job?

The reason ask is that so many crap managers with questionable interpersonal skills seems to go from decent job to decent job (Keane / Souness / Megson). Surely if clubs were to ring former clubs (and they were prepared to be honest) they'd say "he's a freakin' liability mate, i wouldn't touch him with yours." ?

OGS? Thought you wanted attacking football? You seen Molde play?

No I've not. But in no time he's turned a bunch of no hopers into League champions. Presumably he'll have rather more scope to buy the sort ofpplayes he'd like with the sort of money our owners will make available. I can't imagine he's got much choice at Molde and to get them into Europe must be like a fairy story.

Besides 50 goals in 28 games seems reasonably good and a goals difference of +25 translates fairly well if applied to our length of season. Two defeats less than anyone else. It couldn' have been that boring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norwegian_Premier_League

He may have been an intelligent player but this doesn't make him a great analyst of the game. Sunderland and Ipswich fans might be able to tell you about his tactical skills, or lack of them, but how many of their games did you see under him? My impression (and I too, didn't see a massive amount of games that he was in charge of) was that they both played drab, poor football.

His man management qualities are atrocious, plenty of players did not like playing them. So he definitely hasn't got all the qualities. You could argue that he has more than one blot on his CV, as he left Sunderland very unpopular and with good reason. He had lost the dressing room.

As for that argument, I could think of countless managers who've had 2 jobs and have failed at one of them, why does that mean Keane will be a great manager or the one to take us up?

Keane won the league title in his first season in management - despite the fact that when he arrived, Sunderland had effectively given the league a four-game start.

He also managed to keep them in the top flight where other managers, including his old nemesis Mick McCarthy, had failed dismally.

So his record compares favourably with every manager we've had since MON. Some fans would rather hold out for the perfect manager. Unfortunately I don't think Pep Guardiola will be applying..

Keane won the league title in his first season in management - despite the fact that when he arrived, Sunderland had effectively given the league a four-game start.

He also managed to keep them in the top flight where other managers, including his old nemesis Mick McCarthy, had failed dismally.

So his record compares favourably with every manager we've had since MON. Some fans would rather hold out for the perfect manager. Unfortunately I don't think Pep Guardiola will be applying..

But he's not gone forward from that impressive start and when a manager gets a reputation for losing the dressing room that's about as serious as it gets.

Why take the risk? Especially with his already unsvoury background. OGS had massive success with a non-stop smile on his face.

Can't imagine him losing the dressing room cos he's too intelligent for that. If we're heading for the top we need a bloke with integrity as well as talent and contacts. OGS seems to have all three. To a great extent the day of the hard case is over. Perhaps even for Fergie.

And what about all the others things I've said? Like that he lost the dressing room at both places?

You said you'd prefer him to Dave Jones and Billy Davies, this has nothing to do with Pep Guardiola or the 'perfect manager'.

And what about all the others things I've said? Like that he lost the dressing room at both places?

You said you'd prefer him to Dave Jones and Billy Davies, this has nothing to do with Pep Guardiola or the 'perfect manager'.

He appears to have the man-management skills of a gnat.

Also, considering the financial backing he has received during his 5 odd years as a manager, his record is startlingly underwhelming.

Awful decision to even be considering this managerial pygmy.

Please, please let this be just a bad joke . Living over in Norwich I've got a few mates who are Ipswich season ticket holders and they have not got a good word to say about him. He spent a fortune on Irish / Sunderland rejects who have left on free's and sold some of Ipswich's best players ( Danny Haynes, Jordan Rhodes to name a few). Lost the dressing room long before he was sacked. Heard many a horror story of the way he treated players & staff at the club. Ok awesome player , so he has a right to be slightly arrogant, but he is off the scale!. If this man is employed I really fear for what he will do to this club, he WILL destroy morale, spend millions on players who are not good enough, he'll sell anyone who dares to have a opinion that is different to his, he'll not give the fans the time of day, he'll release youth players that suddenly turn up as stars at other clubs. This would be worse than Peter Taylor. One word NO.

Been told that about Clark....

Maybe they are all smokescreens, it wouldn't surprise me that the owners are trying to keep this as tightlipped as possible. Dare I say it that MON is the one they are trying to keep tightlipped about.

Just out of interest.....

I know football management is unlike any other job in that if we're sacked from our respective jobs we prob would nrver get a job in that industry again.

Anyway, my question is do you think that clubs 'get references' / speak to a manager's former employer before they offer them the job?

The reason ask is that so many crap managers with questionable interpersonal skills seems to go from decent job to decent job (Keane / Souness / Megson). Surely if clubs were to ring former clubs (and they were prepared to be honest) they'd say "he's a freakin' liability mate, i wouldn't touch him with yours." ?

I see what you're saying but . . Its not in a football clubs interest to give bad or good references really is it. I mean, we would not want to give a glowing manager reference to one of our rivals teams when they are managerless for a former manager as we'd rather they had a bad one. Also we would not want to give them a bad one because if they are seriously considering employing a useless manager we should be happy about it and keep quiet. If that makes sense. In an honest world maybe but in the highly competitive football industry, when a manager is the one position that makes a hell of a difference to a clubs success, it would not really be in anyones interest.

Of course you could give fake and dishonest references. "So we've got a big budget and want to avoid relegation, what did you make of Peter Taylor"

"abolute genius"

If Clarke was a smokescreen for Keane, surely he'd only be a smokescreen to force Keane to make a decision.

Keane wouldn't think twice about it, he'd snap our hands off in an instant.

Clarke can't be a smokescreen for Keane, surely!?

That's the theory I'm going to choose to believe for now anyway.

MON is our first choice and you can bet your bottom dollar the Thais are working their as off to get him.

They probably did,

He doesn't want a job his wife is gravely ill.

He doesn't want to say that's the reason else she'd probably feel a burden + if a top 4 or 6 job, came up he'd probably still want to take it.

Out of respect he'd probably want to let us down gently so he/his agent leaked the story about 'friends' saying.

Or... He always said he'd never forget that SheffUtd game & he doesn't want to come back on principle

I will not give the club 1 penny of my money for the whole time he is here if he comes to mange my club. The bloke is a mentalist and has alienated himself at both clubs he has managed. Throw in the beard of insanity when the going gets tough and you can see that this is a disaster in the making. Would we really get rid of Sven for Keane? Fooking insane decision if true. :S

I will not give the club 1 penny of my money for the whole time he is here if he comes to mange my club. The bloke is a mentalist and has alienated himself at both clubs he has managed. Throw in the beard of insanity when the going gets tough and you can see that this is a disaster in the making. Would we really get rid of Sven for Keane? Fooking insane decision if true. :S

Agree that Keane would be a poor appointment but boycotting the club is stupid. If you really love Leicester, you'll keep going no matter who manages/plays for the club.

To be fair, Keane tried to trip Haaland and did his cruciates as a result.

Haaland had no idea what injury Keane had done when he shouted over him.

Keane injuried himself the first time when he tried to kick down Haaland. Next time they meet Keane deliberately kicked Haaland out of football. Haaland coulden't play anymore. Keane didn't even look properly to the refs verdict, he just walked away.

This is one of the most evil moments from my time in football. I have played and been a coach for almost 40 years.

This man Keane has nothing too offer my footballclub. :angry:

Agree that Keane would be a poor appointment but boycotting the club is stupid. If you really love Leicester, you'll keep going no matter who manages/plays for the club.

Dennis Wise and Roy Keane as managers?

Archived