Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tyneside fox

Svens outcasts poised to leave

So if we are in 13th position 2 points of the playoffs in October would you sack Pearson?

I'm not in charge of the club.

The question may be, would the owners?

It's all completely hypothetical at this present time, is my point. And we need to see how we do.

hello Col - thought you'd disagree - we seem to building a weaker team on paper, which is fine if you have a great manager who can motivate average players to play above their strength - jury out on this for NP, as he so far seems to be able to get the worst out of good players - read the post though - if at first it doesn't succeed and providing our illustrious and decent owners handled the whole process well (!!) then surely they should keep trying to get us promoted, ideally with squad that needs enhancing in the Premier not one that would require a rebuild from scratch - this method of relying on a lucky punt with an unproven manager and lots of old knackered players who looked OK in League 1 three years ago and a few big club cast offs may even work - but building for a future - don't think so.

As even big name clubs are finding out, if you show lack of ambition then the few quality players you do have/cultivate will want out at the first chance

"On paper" - the most telling phrase in the post. You are making a judgement on Pearson based on new players you've never seen, when the squad is only just into pre-season training, and when you have no idea how much the squad may be further improved over the next few weeks.

We had an excellent squad "on paper" last season, or so many of us thought; a different matter altogether when they stepped out onto the pitch.

"On paper" - the most telling phrase in the post. You are making a judgement on Pearson based on new players you've never seen, when the squad is only just into pre-season training, and when you have no idea how much the squad may be further improved over the next few weeks.

We had an excellent squad "on paper" last season, or so many of us thought; a different matter altogether when they stepped out onto the pitch.

Great post

Pre-season training doesn't start til Monday :P

Sorry you are, like all the other faithful, right - selling players who can't be managed at Leicester to other Premier league wannabes in our division or to decent foreign teams and replacing them with unproven Man U reserves and non league players is not weakening the team perceptibly at all - I am silly, it is clearly strengthening it.

selling players who can't be managed at Leicester to other Premier league wannabes in our division

Why do you think only Premier League 'wannabes' are after them mate? Because they aren't that good.

However, the Premier League reserves players he has brought in previously include the likes of Jay Spearing, Mark Davies (Sort of) and Tom Cleverly, remind me how badly they are doing now.

Sorry you are, like all the other faithful, right - selling players who can't be managed at Leicester to other Premier league wannabes in our division or to decent foreign teams and replacing them with unproven Man U reserves and non league players is not weakening the team perceptibly at all - I am silly, it is clearly strengthening it.

I think the mistake you're making is thinking anyone who disagrees with you has faith in Pearson, like you had faith in Sven. I certainly don't. I'm glad we have Pearson in charge rather than Sven, for the simple fact that Pearson overachieved greatly in his first stint here, and Sven underachieved massively. This is actual fact. There's no blind faith involved.

You seem to equate fame and ability, when we, as Leicester City fans, should know better than most that fame and ability are not the same thing, and do not correlate. We've had plenty of unknowns turn out to be great players or managers, and not too many big names live up to expectations. As I said, you only need look at the clubs that have been most impressive in this division most recently to see how little famous faces matter. Us and West Ham were the bookies and the media's sure-fire favourites to win the title, due to all the cash thrown around on household names, and both clubs disappointed, unbelievably so in our case.

Have you not considered that maybe big name players and managers often don't take this division seriously enough? Do you not think that a lot of them underestimate the competition? Have you not thought that there are famous players and managers that get by on past glories? I think Sven is a great example of this. On the other hand, there are players who no-one has heard of, who are desperate to make a name for themselves, and will try twice as hard as someone who became famous years ago and has already earnt a good reputation and the big wages that go with it. We might already have some of these hungry players, but you seem intent on slagging them off before you've even seen them kick a ball - another example of how little you value evidence and facts compared to your own preconceived ideas.

I still don't think you can tell the difference between building a team, and just collecting an expensive group of famous players. This is where Sven went wrong.

I think the mistake you're making is thinking anyone who disagrees with you has faith in Pearson, like you had faith in Sven. I certainly don't. I'm glad we have Pearson in charge rather than Sven, for the simple fact that Pearson overachieved greatly in his first stint here, and Sven underachieved massively. This is actual fact. There's no blind faith involved.

You seem to equate fame and ability, when we, as Leicester City fans, should know better than most that fame and ability are not the same thing, and do not correlate. We've had plenty of unknowns turn out to be great players or managers, and not too many big names live up to expectations. As I said, you only need look at the clubs that have been most impressive in this division most recently to see how little famous faces matter. Us and West Ham were the bookies and the media's sure-fire favourites to win the title, due to all the cash thrown around on household names, and both clubs disappointed, unbelievably so in our case.

Have you not considered that maybe big name players and managers often don't take this division seriously enough? Do you not think that a lot of them underestimate the competition? Have you not thought that there are famous players and managers that get by on past glories? I think Sven is a great example of this. On the other hand, there are players who no-one has heard of, who are desperate to make a name for themselves, and will try twice as hard as someone who became famous years ago and has already earnt a good reputation and the big wages that go with it. We might already have some of these hungry players, but you seem intent on slagging them off before you've even seen them kick a ball - another example of how little you value evidence and facts compared to your own preconceived ideas.

I still don't think you can tell the difference between building a team, and just collecting an expensive group of famous players. This is where Sven went wrong.

+1 :pearson::scarf:

I agree make no assumptions, whether Pearson or Sven, proof is in the pudding, results will show the way!!

You need to re evaluate your definition of 'great' I think - you're not Nige are you?

What has whether or not you can judge the squad on their reputation got to do with Nigel Pearson? Think you're a bit obsessed. :whistle:

we have a manager that won league 1 by a storm, and guided us to 5th in the championship with no money. Gets Praised by players by coaches for the way he works, builds young exiting teams, gets them fitter and well drilled then any other team in the league and made us the 4th most consistant team in the country when first in charge. He then came back, had no pre season,one transfer window (January) when no one moves and a squad full of disgruntled players with massive ego's. He now has a pre season, weeded out all the ego's and will deliver. Because thats all he's done since going into management. ie took over last 10 games at carlisle with them bottom and kept them up on the last day, took over last 10 games at southampton and kept them up on the last day of the season. First full season in management Leicester won league 1, second full season finished 5th in the championship. Then went to hull with a squad of 40 with players like bullard,altidore,geovani,fagan etc and brought in Man U reserve team and finished mid table. Then when he didn't have the aggro of getting rid of 10,000 players and added to his squad he left them in 6th with a squad of koren,brady,stewart,chester! Get a grip people, he doesn't take shit, he gives young players a chance and makes them hungry for success!

we have a manager that won league 1 by a storm, and guided us to 5th in the championship with no money. Gets Praised by players by coaches for the way he works, builds young exiting teams, gets them fitter and well drilled then any other team in the league and made us the 4th most consistant team in the country when first in charge. He then came back, had no pre season,one transfer window (January) when no one moves and a squad full of disgruntled players with massive ego's. He now has a pre season, weeded out all the ego's and will deliver. Because thats all he's done since going into management. ie took over last 10 games at carlisle with them bottom and kept them up on the last day, took over last 10 games at southampton and kept them up on the last day of the season. First full season in management Leicester won league 1, second full season finished 5th in the championship. Then went to hull with a squad of 40 with players like bullard,altidore,geovani,fagan etc and brought in Man U reserve team and finished mid table. Then when he didn't have the aggro of getting rid of 10,000 players and added to his squad he left them in 6th with a squad of koren,brady,stewart,chester! Get a grip people, he doesn't take shit, he gives young players a chance and makes them hungry for success!

Agree, good post! :appl:

Quality post! Ooh wait seenitall will want my definition of quality!

Low expectations are rife these days

Is it fun being such a pessimistic moron? All of your posts are downbeat, you seem like you want us to fail just to somehow prove you right? Pfffft. Leicester fan my arse.

Pearson will get this right, this season? Who knows, but I trust him more than Sven at making informed, promising signings.

Wanting lLeicester City to show some ambition so they can be a great team = not a Leicester fan

Wanting Leicester City to be more like Hull and have no name reject players and lots of old deadwood = Leicester City fan

Probably not anymore then

Wanting lLeicester City to show some ambition so they can be a great team = not a Leicester fan

Wanting Leicester City to be more like Hull and have no name reject players and lots of old deadwood = Leicester City fan

Probably not anymore then

Wanting Leicester to keep the high profile players who finished 9th = Ambition

Wanting to improve the side by signing players from a club that finished higher than us = No Ambition

Can't say I'm that ambitious then.

Erm, he was in charge of Carlisle for 30 games, won 5, drew 13 and lost 12.

At Southampton he was in charge for 14 games, won 3 (one against us), drew 7 and lost 4.

At every club where he's been in charge for more than 10 games, except here, his win% is 16.66%, 21.43% and 35.94%.

Archived