Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc_amie

Simon Church

This forum does make me laugh.

Sven signs big names players and it's moaning that they're only coming for the pay day, that they won't work hard, that we'll have too many egos in the team, that they'll have no passion.

Then Nigel returns and we're back to signing relatively unknown young players, yet to make their major break, at the say so of Walsh and co' and now we're underwhelmed, disappointed and bemoaning the fact we should be aiming higher?

lol Oh Foxes Talk.

Fact of the matter is, if we are actually interested and do actually sign the lad, he could be gash. Could be Waghorn mk 2, rarely play and hugely disappoint. But he could also be exceptional, fit in brilliant, score fifteen to twenty odd league goals and help get us promoted. Most of you will never have seen him play beyond the odd Football League show highlight and the odd game against Reading. I've seen him play about twenty games for Wales and the U21s and even I couldn't really pass judgement.

I think Pearson's tactically naive, a poor man-manager and immensely dull on camera but if there's one thing his regime can do well it's pick a little known player and put him to good use. I've got faith in his signings.

Sven signs big names players and it's moaning that they're only coming for the pay day, that they won't work hard, that we'll have too many egos in the team, that they'll have no passion.

Then Nigel returns and we're back to signing relatively unknown young players, yet to make their major break, at the say so of Walsh and co' and now we're underwhelmed, disappointed and bemoaning the fact we should be aiming higher?

lol Oh Foxes Talk.

Fact of the matter is, if we are actually interested and do actually sign the lad, he could be gash. Could be Waghorn mk 2, rarely play and hugely disappoint. But he could also be exceptional, fit in brilliant, score fifteen to twenty odd league goals and help get us promoted. Most of you will never have seen him play beyond the odd Football League show highlight and the odd game against Reading. I've seen him play about twenty games for Wales and the U21s and even I couldn't really pass judgement.

I think Pearson's tactically naive, a poor man-manager and immensely dull on camera but if there's one thing his regime can do well it's pick a little known player and put him to good use. I've got faith in his signings.

This, this and this!!! This guy may turn out to be absolutely terrible but none of us can possibly know that yet and you all cried out for this type of signing under Sven. I don't mind people giving constructuve criticisms to players who are underperforming for us but to do it before we have even signed someone is just mental.

Anyway, rant over.

PS - I don't agree with the last paragraph (I bloody love Pearson in every way and imagine he has an enormous wanger) but I do agree with the rest of it.

X

I trust Pearson and his team to probably know whether they are going to be signing a player who is 'gash' or not.

I don't think Nige and Walsh have made many signings who were 'gash'...

One or two yes, but in the main they've generally not been too bad.

If Pearson likes the look of Church I'll go with that for the moment.

He isn't a bad striker, but I would rather go for a striker on form, someone like Jay Rodriguez,Ross McCormack or even someone like Chopra. Or we could persist with Beckford a striker who scored 15 goals in his first season for us. No wonder we don't seem to get any consistency in performances where we have new teams every single year.

I trust Pearson and his team to probably know whether they are going to be signing a player who is 'gash' or not.

I don't think Nige and Walsh have made many signings who were 'gash'...

One or two yes, but in the main they've generally not been too bad.

If Pearson likes the look of Church I'll go with that for the moment.

Robbie Nielson and Ryan Mcgiven still give me nightmares

He isn't a bad striker, but I would rather go for a striker on form, someone like Jay Rodriguez,Ross McCormack or even someone like Chopra. Or we could persist with Beckford a striker who scored 15 goals in his first season for us. No wonder we don't seem to get any consistency in performances where we have new teams every single year.

THIS +1

But whats getting me is we are agian building a squad and if any truth in the rumours about who is going we will be doing it again nxt yr if we go up.

To me we are not building a side for the season after nxt hopefully in the prem and that is a gamble we do need to make.

Also looking at who we have signed and linked with it is looking more likely a push the season after nxt.

Robbie Nielson and Ryan Mcgiven still give me nightmares

McGivern was a shocker, but he did fairly well in his two loan spells following us, Neilson was exactly what you come to expect from a scottish player, however in Sousa's brief tenure he had him actually playing some decent football. Pearson's staff seem to go on ability and potential, knowing how good a player is can be easy, working out how good they can be makes it a little more difficult and is a gamble, however the majority of signings he's made he's got the best out of, so I have a fair amount of faith in the not so big name signings we'll see arrive.

THIS +1

But whats getting me is we are agian building a squad and if any truth in the rumours about who is going we will be doing it again nxt yr if we go up.

To me we are not building a side for the season after nxt hopefully in the prem and that is a gamble we do need to make.

Also looking at who we have signed and linked with it is looking more likely a push the season after nxt.

I agree Welly.

It LOOKS as though Nige is trying to build a longer term squad.. One which could possibly gel into a squad that can establish its credentials in the Prem.

This implies one thing for me...

That Nige and the management do not feel under immediate pressure to go straight up this season but would rather assemble a squad that can hold its own if we do.

I could be wrong but actually hope this is the case.

I'd rather do the 'building for the future' thing than the 'instant success a la Sven' thing.

lol Oh Foxes Talk.

you must have never seen simon church play.

We have Waghorn

Why do we need Simon Church ?

Because Waghorn has shown absolutely nothing to convince anyone that he can be the consistent scorer that we need.

Church has a record of a goal every 5 games in the Championship, waghorn is a goal every 7 games. I`m not suggesting that Church is or isnt the answer, but I fail to see the Waghorn ` love in` that so many of our fans have. His passing is average, his decision making is poor and more shots end up in row z than on target!!! Yes he cried at Cardiff, but just because the lad cares for the club it doesnt mean he is good enough.

Because Waghorn has shown absolutely nothing to convince anyone that he can be the consistent scorer that we need.

Church has a record of a goal every 5 games in the Championship, waghorn is a goal every 7 games. I`m not suggesting that Church is or isnt the answer, but I fail to see the Waghorn ` love in` that so many of our fans have. His passing is average, his decision making is poor and more shots end up in row z than on target!!! Yes he cried at Cardiff, but just because the lad cares for the club it doesnt mean he is good enough.

Most fans wanted the lad back before the crying, and that was because he showed great promise for a young lad. Unfortunately for him and us, Pearson left and he ended up playing under Sousa and Sven who shoved him out on the wing or didn't play him. His development stopped due to that, if Pearson can get him back performing to how he was when on loan, then he will be a very useful addition in our team.

He has his flaws, but he's young enough to iron a lot of them out.

Most fans wanted the lad back before the crying, and that was because he showed great promise for a young lad. Unfortunately for him and us, Pearson left and he ended up playing under Sousa and Sven who shoved him out on the wing or didn't play him. His development stopped due to that, if Pearson can get him back performing to how he was when on loan, then he will be a very useful addition in our team.

He has his flaws, but he's young enough to iron a lot of them out.

I Agree...

I agree Welly.

It LOOKS as though Nige is trying to build a longer term squad.. One which could possibly gel into a squad that can establish its credentials in the Prem.

This implies one thing for me...

That Nige and the management do not feel under immediate pressure to go straight up this season but would rather assemble a squad that can hold its own if we do.

I could be wrong but actually hope this is the case.

I'd rather do the 'building for the future' thing than the 'instant success a la Sven' thing.

No one knows for sure but if the Thais sack NP after 15 games when we are mid-table ala Sven than we know that they have a short terminism approach with regards to promotion. Building for the sake of building means nothing we have a squad of players that is getting dismantled and NP is bringing in a whole new team effectively, the problems are still going to keep on occurring until this Club develops a philosophy where we can integrate players not sack a manager after every season, is it right to get rid of Konchesky, Beckford for the sake of it, or do we keep these players and get them working to their full potential?

No one knows for sure but if the Thais sack NP after 15 games when we are mid-table ala Sven than we know that they have a short terminism approach with regards to promotion. Building for the sake of building means nothing we have a squad of players that is getting dismantled and NP is bringing in a whole new team effectively, the problems are still going to keep on occurring until this Club develops a philosophy where we can integrate players not sack a manager after every season, is it right to get rid of Konchesky, Beckford for the sake of it, or do we keep these players and get them working to their full potential?

I'm always torn in this one and I guess this is the 6 million dollar question?

Do you stick with your current 'crop' of players for the sake of consistency? Or do you change what you feel needs changing?

I think it's based upon two things:

1. Gameplan - Nige likes a target man, for want of a better term.

2. Perceived player ability.

To take Beckford as an example, and we DID see him for a full season remember... I don't think he would be first choice to play alongside a 'target man'. I think this will be Nugent.

Next... I think Konch has real 'ability' at left back. I have not seen an awful lot of ability in Beckford. Some yes, but not enough.

Therefore, on these grounds I would sell Beckford, assuming their are any bidders, but I would certainly keep Konch.

Ability and Gameplan are therefore, IMO, the two criteria to use when considering whether someone stays, or goes.

Consistency is important but if Jermaine may not feature in Pearsons plans next season, it would make obvious sense to let him go.

I use these two as an example because you did, there are others where the same variables would hold.

IMO.

There are two `excuses` that always wind me up.

1. The players are overpaid so thats why they are crap.

2. Too many changes.

Firstly, I just cant buy into the theory that players like beckford dont `bother` because he is paid enough. I think there have been plenty of examples ( West Ham being the best ) where players earn a lot of money and still perform. ( I think Nolan was the top paid player in the Championship last season.)

Secondly, too many changes. Again, teams like Cardiff, and Charlton ( 17 new players ) have shown that its not the number of changes, but how the players are managed. I strongly believe that a Football Manager has the main influence on the team.

Look at Crewe, languishing in 18th when Davis took over, then they went on a run which culminated in a 18 match unbeaten run and promotion.

We best hope that NP is the man for the job, because he sure didnt have the same effect that Davis did, and Leicester were arguably the second strongest squad in the league...

You must not be able to read.

the extent of your point seems to be. he might be good, he might be shit. insightful stuff.

my point is whenever ever i've seen him play, he's been crap. slightly more insightful.

the extent of your point seems to be. he might be good, he might be shit. insightful stuff.

my point is whenever ever i've seen him play, he's been crap. slightly more insightful.

I've seen him play about twenty games for Wales and the U21s and even I couldn't really pass judgement.

I've seen most of his games for us and always fancied him to be more consistent than Ched Evans and more versatile than Sam Vokes.

You must not be able to read.

I like Waghorn more than Church

If there is a difference between them its only slight, so if you want to change every player for slight improvements all the time were never going to get any end results

The only real difference between the two, is Church plays for Wales; and that seems to have been the deciding factor for a couple of people on here :ph34r:

Yes Waghorn was crap under Sven and Paulo, but under Nigel hes been terrific here and in his short spell at Hull.

Stick with Waggy I say :scarf:

I like Waghorn more than Church

If there is a difference between them its only slight, so if you want to change every player for slight improvements all the time were never going to get any end results

The only real difference between the two, is Church plays for Wales; and that seems to have been the deciding factor for a couple of people on here :ph34r:

Yes Waghorn was crap under Sven and Paulo, but under Nigel hes been terrific here and in his short spell at Hull.

Stick with Waggy I say :scarf:

I don't think anyone has picked up yet on the fact that Church and Waggy are totally different types of striker. Church is a classic 'target-man' - a big guy, 6'1" and over 13 stone - nothing like 'little Waggy' ! IF Nige goes for Church, I would guess it's more likely that Emile won't be coming - rather than he'll be in for Waghorn.

I don't think anyone has picked up yet on the fact that Church and Waggy are totally different types of striker. Church is a classic 'target-man' - a big guy, 6'1" and over 13 stone - nothing like 'little Waggy' ! IF Nige goes for Church, I would guess it's more likely that Emile won't be coming - rather than he'll be in for Waghorn.

They are very similar

And Church isn't your traditional 'target man'

20428449-26102009211100.jpg

In that game, Waggy scored the only goal ;)

According to this website he's 5' 11" and just under 12 stone?! You sure he's a target man?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/105009/simon-church?cc=5739

They are very similar

And Church isn't your traditional 'target man'

20428449-26102009211100.jpg

In that game, Waggy scored the only goal ;)

I saw quite a few Reading games in the 2009/10 season and Church very much played as a target man. He alternated with Rasiak and Long for the No.9 shirt. Rasiak is probably the ultimate target man and Long is a really good header of the ball! Church was in exactly the same mould as them. Reading usually played with just one up front that season, with attacking/wide midfielders such as Kebe and Sigurdsson. Church got 10 League goals: Rasiak, 9 and Long, 6. Of course, Long went for big money to the Albion, the season after. I thought Church was better than him and Rasiak.

Archived