Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BMR

Marko Futacs

Can't agree with this at all... There's a surprise!

A target man, if used effectively, brings the attacking midfielders into play by shielding the ball and laying it off to the oncoming player at exactly the right time.

Mark Hughes was exceptional at it. As is Rickie Lambert. Adkins played him beautifully all season, exactly to his strengths.

They are also useful in holding up play and keeping possession at times when the team is under pressure... Something that City were appalling at doing last season.

They also don't need to be tall. Hughes was not particularly tall... Just very strong and stocky.

The problem with a big striker is that they encourage players to look up and ping the high ball to them. But a target man doesn't have to be built this way and a team containing one doesn't have to play this way.

Fernando Llorente at Bilbao is another good example, and is currently being courted by Barcelona.

Wouldn't you call the Mark Hughes type player a holding player rather than target man??

Wouldn't you call the Mark Hughes type player a holding player rather than target man??

Is it not all semantics mate?

I think the type of player that City would benefit from is that 'holding player' you describe, rather than simply a tall bloke who's a strong header of a ball.

Waghorn would fit the mould, the problem is I'm not sure if he's gonna be good enough.

I thought this lad looked very dangerous against us last season. He also took Cardiff apart at their place.

People always judge strikers by goals, but that is just short sighted. People who criticise players like and Fuctas just don't understand the game!

Criticism of Heskey always makes me chuckle. I was fortunate enough to see just about every game he played for City, and yes, he scored some explosive goals, but the reason he has played at the top level is what he brings to the team, not for his goal scoring prowess.

It's the same with the idiots who criticised Howard. Howard was the main man in our promotion season, scoring some good goals and creating lots for Fryatt. The blinkered brainless ones complain he didn't score enough, but Howard was a great servant to the club and his contribution massive.

I just hope the blinkered ones don't get on this lads back because he's not getting a hat trick every game!

No, the term holding player comes from holding position in front of the back 4 not from holding the ball up front, that's a target man, so called because he's the target for long balls out of defence or the pass from midfield to allow them to get up in support. 2 totally different but important roles, both of which we were very bad at last season

No, the term holding player comes from holding position in front of the back 4 not from holding the ball up front, that's a target man, so called because he's the target for long balls out of defence or the pass from midfield to allow them to get up in support. 2 totally different but important roles, both of which we were very bad at last season

This....

I thought this lad looked very dangerous against us last season. He also took Cardiff apart at their place.

People always judge strikers by goals, but that is just short sighted. People who criticise players like and Fuctas just don't understand the game!

Criticism of Heskey always makes me chuckle. I was fortunate enough to see just about every game he played for City, and yes, he scored some explosive goals, but the reason he has played at the top level is what he brings to the team, not for his goal scoring prowess.

It's the same with the idiots who criticised Howard. Howard was the main man in our promotion season, scoring some good goals and creating lots for Fryatt. The blinkered brainless ones complain he didn't score enough, but Howard was a great servant to the club and his contribution massive.

I just hope the blinkered ones don't get on this lads back because he's not getting a hat trick every game!

Spot on! Glad someone said it! How good did heskey make Owen look!?!? And what has owen done since?

And for all those Bamba lovers - just look how hopelessly out of position he was. A good 2m behind the defensive line. I think this is why I'm not overly bothered about him leaving.

Not a massive bamba fan but actually when mattcock receives the ball he's in front of the two Pompy players so bamba wasn't playing him on. (commentary correction btw)

Spot on! Glad someone said it! How good did heskey make Owen look!?!? And what has owen done since?

100% agree with this come home Bruno and make Vardy a Lcfc Legend

Funny that some strikers get away with not scoring whilst others are criticised.

Not a massive bamba fan but actually when mattcock receives the ball he's in front of the two Pompy players so bamba wasn't playing him on. (commentary correction btw)

The point is, he was still way behind the line of defenders and was hopelessly out of position.

Merc

Marko Futacs is set to be officially announced as a Leicester City player today after compensation was agreed with Portsmouth for the Hungarian striker yesterday.

As the Mercury reported on Saturday, Futacs agreed personal terms with City last Friday and flew out with his new team-mates for their pre-season fitness camp this week in Austria.

Futacs joins City as a free agent having rejected a new one-year contract with Pompey.

Manager Michael Appleton activated an option on his contract at the end of his previous deal.

However, as the Hungary under-21 international is aged below 24, City are obliged to pay Pompey compensation.

Pompey, who remain in administration after their relegation to League One last season, have agreed a nominal fee with City and Futacs is now free to finally complete his move.

The 6 ft 5in striker has agreed a three-year contract with City and becomes Nigel Pearson's fourth signing of the summer after the arrivals of Ritchie De Laet and Matty James from Manchester United in a £2 million double deal, and striker Jamie Vardy in a record-breaking £1million deal from Conference champions Fleetwood Town.

Futacs made 30 appearances, but only 12 starts in the Championship, and scored five times after arriving at Pompey on a free transfer from German side Werder Bremen last August.

His first start for the Blues came at the King Power Stadium on New Year's Eve, when he scored in the 1-1 draw against City.

No you can't just tell.

You can be negative and assume that for some reason he's a bad player, or you can trust that Pearson and/or his scouts have been keeping an eye on several players and because they've been impressed with Futacs, they've bought him.

I don't think Pearson covers his eyes, runs a finger over a page with a load of names on it and goes "We'll buy.... HIM!!" *stops moving finger, looks at page.* "Haha, 'Futacs', rhymes with 'Blutack'! Welcome aboard."

Archived