Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

Guest ttfn

Do Vardy and James suit the long ball game?

We're always going to mix it up a bit, it's not a style issue. It's a poor value, half a dozen decent games a year, poor control issue.

Thank Christ for you.

If the direct style is successful then fine, I can cope with that. I just worry we'll be as pedestrian as we were for too much of last season.

Crazy idea I know, but why not wait and see before judging its success?

Oh come on, Sven (Or Neville, don't shoot me) was giving money away. As for the £30k figure, I'm certain that Bert alluded to Beckford being on more than £25k a week the other day.

I'm not disputing that I'm simply pointing out that his leaving is not necessarily a wage issue as I believe Konchesky, Gallagher, King and Wellens all benefited from Sven Managerial decisions and are probably on comparable wages whatever they are.

Frankly I couldn't care less whether Beckford goes or stays I've simply resigned myself to the fact that supporting LCFC means having a new manager every 6 to 12 months and a new team to match. It's like supporting a different club every season.

Guest ttfn

I doubt they do, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

We are seemingly get rid of a player who quite clearly prefers the ball to feet, whilst bringing in Futacs where the temptation will be to hit him in the air.

Nugent is adaptable, I hope Vardy is, but this move, along with the style we've heard about in friendlies, doesn't suggest that a quicker passing game is coming any time soon.

If the direct style is successful then fine, I can cope with that. I just worry we'll be as pedestrian as we were for too much of last season.

Beckford does not prefer a ball into feet, as he cannot control it. He does suit a direct game, albeit one where the ball is over the top or through the defence rather than into the centre forward.

Pearson would go up further in my estimations (probably his main criteria when making decisions) if he can get Beckford off the wage bill. There's plenty of other mediocre Championship strikers who'd be happy to earn 25% of what he's supposedly on.

Konchesky yes... The other three no chance.

Why not they all had improved contracts under Sven so how you can say no chance with such certainty is beyond me, I'd suggest they are comparable.

Looks like Pearson wants to his front two to be Vardy and Nugent and the wage's must have been another issue for this decsion, hopefully it's just BS as Beckford does have a good goal scoring record possibly the best we have but as someone else mentioned his first touch is dreadful at times which causes us to lose possesion.

Although if Pearson does get rid of Beckford.... but Gallagher, Wellens and Dyer are still starting regular then we will be in exactly the same postion as last season and the season before that creating sweet **** all and dominated all over the midfield, Surely it can't be much longer before Pearson brings in a winger and this might free up the cash needed.

Why not they all had improved contracts under Sven so how you can say no chance with such certainty is beyond me, I'd suggest they are comparable.

Beckford we were convincing to drop down from the Premier League, we had to offer an insane amount of money to get him. With Wellens, Gallagher and King we didn't have that incentive. I am sure they would have accepted lower than Beckford would have so unless we were incredibly stupid Beckford will be on a considerable amount more.

I doubt they do, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

We are seemingly get rid of a player who quite clearly prefers the ball to feet, whilst bringing in Futacs where the temptation will be to hit him in the air.

Nugent is adaptable, I hope Vardy is, but this move, along with the style we've heard about in friendlies, doesn't suggest that a quicker passing game is coming any time soon.

Fuctas is Howards replacement. All Pre season many have been saying we need a target man plan b, he's that. James and Whitbread are passers. Vardy is no target man either. I don't see any shift in tactics or personnel to a more direct style.

Fryatt or Beckford who would you prefer?

In their two seasons in the same divisions both got an equal tally in League One, and this year Fryatt got 16 in the Championship compared to Beckford's 9.

Fryatt would just edge it for me, if you take into account their wages then Fryatt by a mile.

Beckford does not prefer a ball into feet, as he cannot control it. He does suit a direct game, albeit one where the ball is over the top or through the defence rather than into the centre forward.

Pearson would go up further in my estimations (probably his main criteria when making decisions) if he can get Beckford off the wage bill. There's plenty of other mediocre Championship strikers who'd be happy to earn 25% of what he's supposedly on.

I'm sure he'd prefer it into feet, rather than the direct game we currently play (though the one you suggest might be the best option with Beckford in).

What we have lacked is true wingers who get the ball into the box. Marshall looks like he could do that, and several of Beckford's goals for us have come from crosses from out wide.

I don't believe it's simply a pay issue

Konchesky came from Liverpool and King, Gallagher and Wellens were all given improved contracts under Sven so I do not think Beckford would have been on significantly more than these players especially as his previous club was Leeds and his contract there was for League 1.

2 of those mentioned have been linked with moves away from the club.m

Do Vardy and James suit the long ball game?

We're always going to mix it up a bit, it's not a style issue. It's a poor value, half a dozen decent games a year, poor control issue.

Totally agree, overrated, overpaid and underperformed!

I can say no chance the way you can say they are comparable.

But Beckford was a last minute panic when we were throwing in £8m bids left right and centre for strikers.

The others negotiated an increase and were already here and not dropping from the premier.

Beckford we were convincing to drop down from the Premier League, we had to offer an insane amount of money to get him. With Wellens, Gallagher and King we didn't have that incentive. I am sure they would have accepted lower than Beckford would have so unless we were incredibly stupid Beckford will be on a considerable amount more.

Says who? Where was it reported that we had to offer an insane amount of money?

Can we stop speculating over the weekly wages of players when we simply don't know. The only player in recent memory who had their wage disclosed was Sol Bamba (pre contract extension) when it emerged in court he earn't 2k a week. That's TWO THOUSAND POUNDS.

Why does everyone assume Beckford was on massive wages he came from a poor paying club, Leeds to a nigh on broke club Everton. sure he'd be on more than LCFC players but no one really knows it was anything like £30k it's just guesswork a figure that's been plucked out of the air and said so often that people now believe it.

You talk of Sven being profligate with the clubs money so why do you believe he wouldn't have been with those 3?

Anyway I don't want to get involved in some pointless fact less debate I'm just suggesting it may not simply be down to wages.

Guest ttfn

Beckford for me because he has proven he can score goals in the premier league something Fryatt has yet to do.

A couple of things:

1) What does it matter that Beckford has scored goals in the Premier League and Fryatt hasn't? We're not playing in the Premier League?

2) How do you think Beckford ended up playing in the Premier League? Did Everton storm in with a £10 million bid to prise him away from Leeds? No, he ran out his contract. The reason Beckford has played Premier League and Fryatt hasn't is that he has had a free transfer. I'd be more than willing to bet that had Fryatt been out of contract this summer, a Premier League side would have taken a punt on him as a squad player.

For me, Fryatt is a considerably better striker.

I appreciate that that is a controversial statement, but I really don't think it's even a close-run thing.

A couple of things:

1) What does it matter that Beckford has scored goals in the Premier League and Fryatt hasn't? We're not playing in the Premier League?

2) How do you think Beckford ended up playing in the Premier League? Did Everton storm in with a £10 million bid to prise him away from Leeds? No, he ran out his contract. The reason Beckford has played Premier League and Fryatt hasn't is that he has had a free transfer. I'd be more than willing to bet that had Fryatt been out of contract this summer, a Premier League side would have taken a punt on him as a squad player.

For me, Fryatt is a considerably better striker.

I appreciate that that is a controversial statement, but I really don't think it's even a close-run thing.

Yes but when we eventually get their we won't have to spend X amount of money on a striker proven to score goals in the prem because we would have one on the books.

I think it's equally likely that the reason is Beckford played for 'Massive Leeds' meaning he was the League One player the media talked about, whilst Matty Fryatt played for little old Leicester (You know that side that actually got promoted). :rolleyes:

Yes but when we eventually get their we won't have to spend X amount of money on a striker proven to score goals in the prem because we would have one on the books.

If we get there. If we don't we are spending X amount in wages (Considering we signed him from a Premier League club when we were throwing money around, probably quite a bit) on a player, whilst we are still only receiving the revenue we get from being a Championship club.

I can say no chance the way you can say they are comparable.

But Beckford was a last minute panic when we were throwing in £8m bids left right and centre for strikers.

The others negotiated an increase and were already here and not dropping from the premier.

Well my none comparably was a suggest yours was written like it was a fact. Apologies if that's not what you intend but that's how it came across.

Well we can all believe what we want none of us have any facts and as i said in another post I don't want to get involved in a pointless fact less debate so I'll leave it there.

Fuctas is Howards replacement. All Pre season many have been saying we need a target man plan b, he's that. James and Whitbread are passers. Vardy is no target man either. I don't see any shift in tactics or personnel to a more direct style.

No shift .... just a continuation. :pearson:

Archived